The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-30-2020, 09:38 AM   #1
SCOTI

Re: Project: Recycle

When I opened up the upper bag mounting plate for C/O clearance, I only removed the bare minimum of material. My plan was to remove the minimum & creep-up on what was necessary so I didn't remove more than what is required leaving as much structure as possible.

With the quick install, I needed to start the trimming. I had previously marked out where I anticipated the end of the bracket would be. I took a grease pencil & sketched out the rough shape I had planned for the remaining edges of the bracket once trimmed. For this initial C/O install, I cut half-way to that anticipated point. This allowed the C/O to physically bolt-in to the mounts for alignment validations.
Attached Images

99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 09:53 AM   #2
SCOTI

Re: Project: Recycle

With the alignment verified, I needed to run the a-arm through the compression/extension cycles to check/watch for binding. This required removing the coil from the set-up.

With the one C/O removed so I could pop just the shock in place, I removed both upper & lower brackets to re-tack them since I wanted to ensure shock pressure wouldn't tweak anything. *When I did the initial set-up tacks, it was in some funky angles which were not conducive to proper weld penetration. Good enough for getting alignment though.

With the brackets re-tacked on the bench, I installed them & a shock. I compressed the shock to the limits of it's travel w/no issues. I wish there was a way to test w/some sort of meter on resistance but I couldn't think of a set-up that might allow it. Visually, the shock didn't shift or move so I'm calling that good.

Today, I'll get the upper arm installed along w/slightly shorter shaft hardware & do the compression/extension cycle again. Then trim it back further & he clearance looks.
Attached Images

99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote