The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-28-2020, 10:21 AM   #1
Zippi

*Retirement Approching*

I only have 7 days left until I retire. I work in an automotive plant so thought I would see what I could come up with to take home. All the old grilles we had in the plant have since gone so I had a Mercury grille hanging in my lab and rustled up a couple old GMC emblems. Good wall art.
Attached Images

Zippi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 11:05 AM   #2
truckster

Re: *Retirement Approching*

Congratulations on your retirement.

I retired once. It didn't stick.
Old 08-28-2020, 11:22 AM   #3
Zippi

Quote:
Originally Posted by truckster View Post

Thanks. I know what you mean. Got to keep busy. I have been flying RC planes for close to 40 years and got out of the hobby about 3 years ago. I think I'll be rejoining. I've taken up a new hobby of Metal Detecting late last year and haven't really had a chance to really get at it. And of coarse I have my 49. You boys know how that is, we are never done.
Old 08-28-2020, 02:39 PM   #4
FleetsidePaul
R.I.P. E.S.L.L.

Quote:
Originally Posted by truckster View Post

Congratulations. I retired 4 years ago. Now I write books and do stand up comedy. At least I did before the Covid hit. Everything is closed now and I can't get a gig. No big deal. I wasn't making any money before. I just liked making people laugh. It was fun. It was something that I liked to do as opposed to something that I was told to do. Something I always wanted to do. Big difference.

Enjoy.

1970 CST 20

1970 C/30 Flatbed

1983 C/30 Dually

2015 Corvette Z51 2021 Corvette Z51 1991 Cadillac Hearse 1982 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz 2000 Porsche Boxster S 2020 Jeep Gladiator 1973 VW Thing 1973 Plymouth Satellite wagon 1963 Baja Bug 1959 Bug Dune Buggy 1970 Baja Bug 1987 Jaguar XJ 350.

R.I.P. El Jay

R.I.P Jessie.

R.I.P Grumpy.

Every day is a gift from God.
FleetsidePaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 03:25 PM   #5
RodnRudy

Congrats Zippi on your upcoming retirement! Our plant, Navistar engine plant, closed the doors in 2009. I took retirement then and other than bypass surgery in 2013 it's been great.
RodnRudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 03:52 PM   #6
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Congrats on retirement! It ain't all it's cracked up to be, if you put off a lot of projects because of work. I remodeled my MiL's house so we could rent it, built a new wall at the front of the house, built and painted a pergola, done a bunch of concrete work. Right now I'm oiling some new cedar patio furniture. I'm about ready to get a job again so I can relax a little!

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 04:51 PM   #7
REDROCKER652002

Congrats on the upcoming retirement. I have a few more years as the kids are still home, but when I get out I am still going to work, just do something fun.. LOL. Be safe and enjoy
REDROCKER652002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 05:36 PM   #8
Boog
laying low

It'll be a long 7 days. Ya know how it is when you are really waiting on something.
I am still getting acquainted with this retirement thing myself.
91 Chevy sportside, Tahoe, Yukon & GMC Crewcab All GM..'nuff said.

I stand for the flag and kneel at the cross
Boog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 06:15 PM   #9
Zippi

I have an update to my retirement coming up on the 4th of Sept. I am the CMM programmer in the Quality Dept. and the company has not been able to find anyone who is qualified or wiling to trained for my position. I had one of the fellows that works at the plant come speak with me about applying for my position and I think he is going to give take a crack at it. Now here's the kicker....With the few days I have left to work it is no where near enough time to train him so I was ask by my boss, how much is it going to cost me to have you stay and train this fellow? I might be willing to work til the end of Sept. as my new insurance at my wife's company starts on Oct. 1st. I'm going to tell my boss that I'll stay for a flat $50 an hour and no overtime (currently working 6-7 days a week). They will either take it or I retire as planned on Sept. 4th.
Old 08-28-2020, 07:23 PM   #10
FleetsidePaul
R.I.P. E.S.L.L.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippi View Post
I have an update to my retirement coming up on the 4th of Sept. I am the CMM programmer in the Quality Dept. and the company has not been able to find anyone who is qualified or wiling to trained for my position. I had one of the fellows that works at the plant come speak with me about applying for my position and I think he is going to give take a crack at it. Now here's the kicker....With the few days I have left to work it is no where near enough time to train him so I was ask by my boss, how much is it going to cost me to have you stay and train this fellow? I might be willing to work til the end of Sept. as my new insurance at my wife's company starts on Oct. 1st. I'm going to tell my boss that I'll stay for a flat $50 an hour and no overtime (currently working 6-7 days a week). They will either take it or I retire as planned on Sept. 4th.
Reminds me of a guy I worked with. He retired and I saw him in the hallway one day and was scratching my head. I asked him what in the heck he was doing there.

He told me that the company had hired him as a "Consultant" an independent contractor. And he was getting big bucks on top of his retirement.

He was laughing all the way to the bank. He was making more money and working less hours.

1970 CST 20

1970 C/30 Flatbed

1983 C/30 Dually

2015 Corvette Z51 2021 Corvette Z51 1991 Cadillac Hearse 1982 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz 2000 Porsche Boxster S 2020 Jeep Gladiator 1973 VW Thing 1973 Plymouth Satellite wagon 1963 Baja Bug 1959 Bug Dune Buggy 1970 Baja Bug 1987 Jaguar XJ 350.

R.I.P. El Jay

R.I.P Jessie.

R.I.P Grumpy.

Old 08-28-2020, 07:37 PM   #11
Zippi

Quote:
Originally Posted by FleetsidePaul View Post
Reminds me of a guy I worked with. He retired and I saw him in the hallway one day and was scratching my head. I asked him what in the heck he was doing there.

He told me that the company had hired him as a "Consultant" an independent contractor. And he was getting big bucks on top of his retirement.

He was laughing all the way to the bank. He was making more money and working less hours.
I like that story.
Old 08-28-2020, 09:51 PM   #12
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

When I announced my retirement, a manager from another department asked me if I would go back to work as a consultant (which is actually an illegal question to ask a retiring employee, just like the the other manager who asked me what age I expected to retire at). I told him if they paid me $200 an hour and I could work at home, I would consider it. I wouldn't have done it, anyway. I was supposed to have been promoted two years before I retired, and the jerking around just got stupid. I probably would have worked until I was 65 if I had been promoted. Looking back on it, the stress probably would killed me. SCROOM.

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 07:38 AM   #13
4u2nv

Quote:
Congratulations. I retired 4 years ago. Now I write books and do stand up comedy. At least I did before the Covid hit. Everything is closed now and I can't get a gig. No big deal. I wasn't making any money before. I just liked making people laugh. It was fun. It was something that I liked to do as opposed to something that I was told to do. Something I always wanted to do. Big difference.

Enjoy.
I would think you are a good stand up
You are always making me laugh at some of your post.
4u2nv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 08:40 AM   #14
TKCR

Congratulations on your retirement! I retired in March 2019. At Honda, where I worked building the CRV, RDX & MDX. We could retire at the age of 55 and I also had 30 years in. It was like being released from prison, lol. Don’t get me wrong, I did like my job, but I was ready to do what I wanted to do. And what I enjoy doing, is restoring parts for our trucks (73-87) and working on my truck
(86 SWB). I spent most of my life in that factory, all the OT and weekend production. I couldn’t get out that door fast enough! And they did the same thing, they were losing a big chunk of their workforce to retirement. Over 1500 people left the month of March 2019, when I did. So they were asking some of of to stay on longer. But I’m glad I left when I did, because they have been slashing benefits, left & right. And the biggest thing! I’m so glad I’m not there, working in that HOT factory and having to wear a mask all day!
Just find things to do that you enjoy, to keep busy. I’ve been super busy, with restoring parts, mowing grass in the neighborhood for extra cash. Been doing a lot of home improvements too.
TKCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 12:24 PM   #15
Zippi

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKCR View Post
Congratulations on your retirement! I retired in March 2019. At Honda, where I worked building the CRV, RDX & MDX. We could retire at the age of 55 and I also had 30 years in. It was like being released from prison, lol. Don’t get me wrong, I did like my job, but I was ready to do what I wanted to do. And what I enjoy doing, is restoring parts for our trucks (73-87) and working on my truck
(86 SWB). I spent most of my life in that factory, all the OT and weekend production. I couldn’t get out that door fast enough! And they did the same thing, they were losing a big chunk of their workforce to retirement. Over 1500 people left the month of March 2019, when I did. So they were asking some of of to stay on longer. But I’m glad I left when I did, because they have been slashing benefits, left & right. And the biggest thing! I’m so glad I’m not there, working in that HOT factory and having to wear a mask all day!
Just find things to do that you enjoy, to keep busy. I’ve been super busy, with restoring parts, mowing grass in the neighborhood for extra cash. Been doing a lot of home improvements too.
Sounds like you got out at a good time. I work at SRG Global and we make all the car & truck grilles, body side moldings, license plate buckets, etc. The plant has AC which keeps it pretty nice in the plant and my CMM lab I keep at 72 degrees as it has to be a controlled environment. I really don't have it that hard it's just dealing with all the idiot's. To many chiefs and not enough Indians if you know what I mean.
Old 08-29-2020, 12:34 PM   #16
rharris

Quote:

Congratulations on the retirement Zippi. The above scenario happens all the time in the power plants. They complain daily and can't wait to retire, then they show up the following week as a contractor saying I couldn't turn down the offer. At least then its on your terms - world of difference. When a company knows you need them they tend to treat you a little different then when the company knows they need you.
rharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 12:52 PM   #17
Zippi

Quote:
Originally Posted by rharris View Post
Congratulations on the retirement Zippi. The above scenario happens all the time in the power plants. They complain daily and can't wait to retire, then they show up the following week as a contractor saying I couldn't turn down the offer. At least then its on your terms - world of difference. When a company knows you need them they tend to treat you a little different then when the company knows they need you.
Thanks man. I have made up my mind though that if I do stay a little longer it will only be until the end of September. That's when I go on my wife's insurance. Yup.....my terms now.
Old 08-29-2020, 03:52 PM   #18
'63GENIII

Whether you stay for an extra month or not, Im happy for you.

Looking forward to seeing some of those cool RC planes and some of the treasures you dig up!

'63 k15 long step
Vortec 7.4 - L29 Blackbear tune, Five 0 Motorsports injectors, Chris Straub Cam, NV4500, divorced 205
52" front and 63" rear spring swap
D44 / 14bff - disc axles
Milemarker 9K and 10.5K hydraulic winches

63" & B52 Spring Install http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ng+swap+thread

NV4500 Reverse Build Thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=reverse+build

L29 - 7.4 Vortec Build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...&highlight=L29
'63GENIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 06:32 PM   #19
Zippi

Quote:
Originally Posted by '63GENIII View Post
Whether you stay for an extra month or not, Im happy for you.

Looking forward to seeing some of those cool RC planes and some of the treasures you dig up!
Haha....well, as far as RC planes I plan on getting back into flying but maybe not the Giant Scale gas planes I was into. Now far all the treasures I might find, If you call bottle caps and beer pulls treasure then I'll be pretty rich ☺
Old 08-31-2020, 12:36 PM   #20
Low Elco

Good to see another CMM guy! Listening to my Zeiss beep merrily away as I type this. Enjoy the Retirement!
Low Elco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 02:01 PM   #21
Rich84

Congratulations..Far too many never get to retire.
Rich84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 07:05 AM   #22
Zippi

Well.....today was suppose to be my last day before retiring but I was approached by the big dogs of the company that I work for and it was like the scene from the God Father movie with Marlon Brando, "I'm going to make you an offer you can't refuse". No more overtime, I'll only finish out the remainder of September, and we came to a very nice financial settlement. So, I now have 26 days until I retire. This will be the 3rd time I have tried to retire and this is differently it folks. 26 days and counting.
Old 09-04-2020, 07:27 AM   #23
FleetsidePaul
R.I.P. E.S.L.L.

26 days later......

1970 CST 20

1970 C/30 Flatbed

1983 C/30 Dually

R.I.P. El Jay

R.I.P Jessie.

R.I.P Grumpy.

Old 09-04-2020, 08:36 AM   #24
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

I have had my old place ask if I want to come back, multiple times. After 3 years, NOPE....I like retirement. We will help you count those remaining days!!

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!
Palf70Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 12:51 PM   #25
Zippi

Haha.....Love it. September 30th will defiantly be it for me. I don't care how much money they offer me. I want to have the nice Fall weather to hit some of the remaining car shows if any and take care of some things around the house before winter sets in.