The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-31-2021, 11:25 PM   #1
lutronjim

Radiator air flow

I have an LC9 in my 70 ss. The extra cam timing stuff on the front gives me no room for a puller fan. The back of the engine is less than an inch from the firewall so I can't move it rearward. I have a large Spal pusher in front of the AC condenser.

There is quite a gap between the radiator and the condenser and a lot of the air pushed by the fan escapes before going through the radiator. I am installing a new crossflow radiator and was wondering if there was some material (sponge, etc.) that I might use to seal the gap.

While it hasn't run hot, once the fan turns on like at a stop light it doesn't quit until I am roiling again.

Atlanta area gets pretty hot in the summer.

Thanks
lutronjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 11:56 PM   #2
jimijam00

Re: Radiator air flow

Yes. Hit up your local hardware store. If your fan doesn't push the most CFM possible, I'd upgrade it the max you can find since pushers w/o a shroud aren't as efficient. Electric fans running at idle when the engine is up to temp and shutting off when you are moving is normal. Oh yeah, since water cools better than antifreeze, I'd be running 80% water 10 months out of the year there.
jimijam00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 01:20 AM   #3
Grumpy old man

Always use 50/50 mix . No matter if you live in Seattle or Miami

https://knowhow.napaonline.com/water...ze-safest-car/

1967 Factory short bed - Old school
'71 - 350 / 4bolt / 487 heads / Edelbrock C3BX
Muncie M-22 4 speed / Hurst Comp plus
Factory 12 bolt posi 3.73 / 255-70-15
Smoothed firewall / Factory cowl induction
Power disc brakes / power steering / 3.5-5" drop
Grumpy old man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 01:21 AM   #4
Richard

Putting a larger fan in will not solve your problem. You need to seal the open area around the condenser to the core support so air is directed through the radiator. A metal shroud would be best. You could use foil tape for a temp fix to see if it works. People run into a similar problem with dual pull fans running only one at a lower temp. A lot of the air is pulled from the engine compartment through the static fan instead of through the radiator.
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 09:05 AM   #5
Andy4639
Old member

Thumbs up Re: Radiator air flow

They sell a black foam that works great for this. I would also recommend the grille to support covers to force more air through.
I can a test to sealing off the radiator and forcing the air through it.
Attached Images

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 11:49 AM   #6
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

"70 ss"?

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 12:16 PM   #7
geezer#99

Must be a super six Gary!
geezer#99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 10:12 PM   #8
jimijam00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy old man View Post
Always use 50/50 mix.
Nope. Haven't subscribed to that myth for at least 30 years now. There are many other things on the market that lubricate and prevent corrosion just fine when used with a lot of distilled water. You should check them out sometime.
jimijam00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 10:32 PM   #9
lutronjim

GASoline71 & geezer#99

70 ss - 70 step side
Must be a super six Gary! - LC9 is an LS 5.3 for trucks
lutronjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 11:35 PM   #10
tdangle

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimijam00 View Post
Nope. Haven't subscribed to that myth for at least 30 years now. There are many other things on the market that lubricate and prevent corrosion just fine when used with a lot of distilled water. You should check them out sometime.
My understanding is that plain water releases it's heat best but the coolant/antifreeze raises the temp of boiling. I've heard a product called water wetter also helps. Never tried it myself

1970 Custom Camper/C20 , GM Crate 350/7004R, Dana 60, factory AC
tdangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 12:09 AM   #11
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdangle View Post
My understanding is that plain water releases it's heat best but the coolant/antifreeze raises the temp of boiling. I've heard a product called water wetter also helps. Never tried it myself
Agreed. And pressurized coolant has an even higher boiling point.

I tried Water Wetter many years ago in an old Miata we owned. I did not notice any difference....

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Stocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 12:26 AM   #12
weq92f

I used 12"x12" rubber sheets from Summitracing.com

I bought two different thicknesses and found the thinner one far better. It was 1/8" I believe and the 1/4" was just too thick. These sheets were cut into the size needed to cover the gap and secured with bolts to my condenser, which had a bunch of perfect sized "bolt holes" around its perimeter. This treatment along with my core-to-grill cover panels helped both my cooling and the A/C performance.

If you'd like some pics I know I have them somewhere...let me know.

Hth,

-klb
99 540 sport V8 6sp -- sold
73 240z L24 4sp -- given to friend
68 C10 step 350/350 3.73 open -- sold
weq92f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 07:32 AM   #13
Grumpy old man

Have you had the internal debate water vs. antifreeze for your car’s cooling system? Depending on where you live, the choice may have already been made for you by the weather you’re forced to deal with. Cold winters mean antifreeze is necessary to keep your engine from icing up internally. In the summer months, however, and in warmer climates, it’s not always so clear cut.

Different Boiling Points

The water in your car’s cooling system is charged with maintaining a steady operating temperature that hovers within the most efficient range for generating power and making efficient use of fuel. Water boils at 212 degrees Fahrenheit, but that’s only if it’s pure, distilled water that’s free from contaminants and minerals that can lower that boiling point substantially.

Most antifreeze is based on ethylene glycol, a form of alcohol that features a boiling point of 387 degrees Fahrenheit. Obviously, your engine won’t ever reach that temperature during normal operation, but the lower boiling point of water vs. antifreeze means that there’s a higher chance of steam forming inside your cooling system, which considerably reduces efficiency and could cause your engine temp to spike in an extreme situation.

Corrosion Is an Issue

Another issue when comparing water vs. antifreeze is corrosion. Remember those mineral deposits mentioned above? Over time, if you use tap water inside your car’s radiator the deposit build-up can seriously impact its operation. Mineral-free distilled water is a safer bet, but you still run into the problem of rust and corrosion forming on metal cooling system components. Antifreeze gets around this issue, as the ethylene glycol does not corrode most metals, providing a protective coating that will extend the life of your engine even during harsh, hot weather. It also contains additives that work specifically to prevent corrosion from taking place, and sometimes your engine might call for a specific type of antifreeze to make sure the necessary additives are used

Mix It Up

What’s the best solution when deciding between water vs. antifreeze for your car’s cooling system? Try using both. A 50/50 mix of antifreeze and water is the most commonly used coolant in modern automobiles. The high boiling point of antifreeze plus its anti-corrosion additives are a good complement to water’s natural cooling capabilities (as long as its distilled water). Plus, there’s the added benefit of not having to worry about a sudden cold-snap freezing up your engine.

https://knowhow.napaonline.com/water...ze-safest-car/

1967 Factory short bed - Old school
'71 - 350 / 4bolt / 487 heads / Edelbrock C3BX
Muncie M-22 4 speed / Hurst Comp plus
Factory 12 bolt posi 3.73 / 255-70-15
Smoothed firewall / Factory cowl induction
Power disc brakes / power steering / 3.5-5" drop
Grumpy old man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 09:15 AM   #14
BigBird05

I learned a long time ago the effects of running water in an aluminum engine. The manufacturers will void your warranty if you don't use antifreeze.
BigBird05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 09:29 AM   #15
72c20customcamper

Only time to run straight water is on the track . Southern temps you can get by with 70/30 up here where I live 50/50 minimum.
1969 AMX ,
1968 c20 stepside ,85 K20
1977 Suburban sold
68 anniversary.
72c20customcamper is offline   Reply With Quote