The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-11-2021, 11:37 AM   #1
toms68cst

Wanna get finally to the bottom my clutch/chatter and clanking.

I have an original set-up, a CH465 granny transmission mated to a 327. I have had for a long time terrible vibration/chatter while riding my clutch. I replaced my clutch when I had my engine out many years ago but it did not seem to help much. Unfortunately, I didn’t replace or grind my flywheel and am pretty sure it’s untrue.

The chatter also sets up a lot of clanking from under the truck, metal-on metal sounding. I recently replaced all my u-joints and hanger bearing. It helped quite a bit but I still get some clanking. As I recall, I replaced my front engine mounts when I had my engine out. I’m not sure about my rear engine mounts.

I don’t feel any excessive movement in the stick-shift when it’s clanking.

Other than going in and replacing the flywheel, what else might cause all this clanking? Rear engine mounts? I think other than a bit of chatter in the clutch, everything is ok with it. I could probably live with the chatter on it's own.

Tom H.

TREASURER, Drum Brake Club.
toms68cst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2021, 01:24 PM   #2
HO455
Post Whore

Re: Wanna get finally to the bottom my clutch/chatter and clanking.

Does the clanking stop once the clutch is engaged?
If so you may have one or more of the following.
Bad pilot bearing.
Bad input shaft bearing.
Misaligned bellhousing.
The clutch fork and its pivot ball as well its fingers do wear out and can cause the throwout bearing to not engage correctly leading to chatter and poor clutch operation.

Hope this helps. If you continue to have problems locating the source call Novak Adapters. They have always be very helpful to me over the years.
Keep us posted on what you find.
If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377
HO455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2021, 01:33 PM   #3
toms68cst

Thanks HO455. I want to say all this clanking is happening outside of the bellhousing. I will verify it but if I engage the clutch and crawl along in a low gear, I can set up the clanking by pulsing the gas pedal fairly rapidly. The sounds seem to be coming from near the engine/transmission area or under the cab.

I will play around today and see if I can verify this narrow down the area where the clanking is coming from.

Old 09-11-2021, 03:44 PM   #4
toms68cst

I can set up the clunking by goosing and letting off the gas driving in low gear rapidly.

I raised one rear wheel and twisted it back and forth with force rapidly while in gear. Nothing jumped out at me. There's some slop between the differential and clutch but I don't think excessive.

The rear motor mounts felt pretty compliant. One of the rubber blocks under the bolt head was a little loose. Also, it looks like the tabs that keep the bolt from coming loose were not bent up against the bolt head. I may order up a new pair of these as they are pretty cheap and look pretty easy to replace. I guess the next step would be to dive into the clutch.

Old 09-11-2021, 04:25 PM   #5
geezer#99

Likely trans gears and bearings. They aren’t built with tight clearances like some of the newer transmissions.
The older Saginaw 3 speeds were the same.
Something you just need to live with.
geezer#99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2021, 07:53 PM   #6
LockDoc
The Older Generation

-
How long has it been since you checked the lube in your transmission and rear axle?

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 05:14 PM   #7
jumpsoffrock

I understand this may not be of much help. But I drive a truck daily with a I6 engine and three-on-the-tree and when I did it's initial engine rebuild, new clutch, resurfaced flywheel in 2010 it chattered more than I ever thought to be normal, I never tried fixing it because I figured I just didn't put enough miles on it to wear it out enough but after 35k miles it wasn't any better and I had another odd transmission issue pop up that caused me to drop the trans. That "mystery" issue was never found or resolved, but I decided to have my flywheel resurfaced for $40 and bought a new lifetime warranty clutch from Autozone.

My truck now has no chatter whatsoever, it drives as smooth as any modern car.
jumpsoffrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 05:34 PM   #8
MJN

Is the linkage all correct? My '74 K20 clutch fork rattled terribly until I got all the correct springs installed. I could put slight pressure on the clutch pedal and it would stop rattling. Might be something as simple as a missing spring or a weak one.
'72 GMC Sierra Custom K2500- in progress
'08 GMC Envoy Denali
'12 GMC Sierra 2500HD Denali
'17 GMC Yukon XL
VCCA member #58596
http://www.nohrco.com
MJN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 01:23 PM   #9
toms68cst

Thanks for all the input.

I have had my tranny and diff oil checked yearly. I only drive my truck in the summers farting around town. If/when I pull my tranny, I will have it checked out. My truck has well under 60k miles on it. I don't think there are any major issues with either. There is a bit of a whine coming from the transmission. I don't think it's excessive.

I will probably swap out the rear mounts and see if that helps with the clunking. If not, will pull the transmission and redo the clutch/flywheel at the least.

Recently, there is also a little oil leak coming from the clutch cover. Not sure if it's the input seal on the transmission or rear seal on the engine. It's almost to the point where it might pay to pull the engine out if I have to redo the rear main and/or oil pan gasket along with the clutch/flywheel.

Never ends!