The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-29-2021, 07:53 PM   #1
Jcfcamaro

Restoring heater box/A/C system

Has anyone restored there heater/A/C box on the firewall ? Needing to do mine and wanting any help info any of you guys can help with. Pictures would be great also. Wanting it to look factory if possible.
Jcfcamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 09:24 PM   #2
jumpsoffrock

Re: Restoring heater box/A/C system

The boxes are made of fiberglass and if you look at the inside it looks like it was semi-exposed fiberglass with some kind of clear coat. Replicating that might be a but difficult, and simply painting over that with black/whatever paint does not look factory at all. I painted mine with flat black paint to try and preserve the fiberglass--I did not expect a factory finish--but I was less than enthused by the result. If I EVER wanted a correct-ish restoration now I know what NOT to do.

Pictures don't do justice but I can snap some pics of a factory box inside and out, so you can see what the inside looks like after almost no exposure for 50 years. I assume that's what the outside looked like new but I could be completely wrong.
jumpsoffrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 09:45 PM   #3
dmjlambert

Here is my thread on it with pictures and lessons learned.
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=790246
You can sand or media blast it and give it a clear coat and it will look nice. You will most likely need to work on the inside and sheet metal and hot/cold mix door as well. The rubber tube that goes from the blower motor to the housing is not reproduced, so if you have it you will need to be careful with it, save and patch cracks in it. I used super glue and black RTV. You can send the unit off for restoration if you like. F.A.A.benny has experience in that job.
dmjlambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 09:57 PM   #4
Already Gone
70+ ( Old Skool Club )

Timely post for me cause I've been procrastinating changing my heater core for a couple of years now. Gotta get her done as i will be replacing my engine in the Spring and redoing my radiator too so weak link in cooling system will be the heater core unless addresed.

Members I have personally met: MusicMan70 - HeavyD - ChewyChevy67 - StingRay -71SWB4x4 - 67 Burb - DeadheadNM - too much stuff - bc65 - das601

" Circumsatances Do Not Change Responsibility "

" The Sky is not the Limit, Your Mind is." Marilyn Monroe ..

RIP Charlie Watts 1941 - 2021
Already Gone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 04:01 AM   #5
BigBird05

Note to Already Gone: I ordered a heater core ( copper) and am told 2 /3 week back order.
BigBird05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 10:24 AM   #6
ThreeQuarter

Watching this conversation for tips on my resto…
ThreeQuarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 11:46 AM   #7
elguadas

Hello all,

This is my first post. Although, I've been a watcher and reader for a number of years. I've also used a lot of the tips and advise in this forum too. I have a 71 C10 LWB and over time have restored the front and rear suspension, power steering, brakes, 700r4 tranny swap, 3.73 gear differential upgrade, and many other details to list.

On to the question. My heater core went out a couple of years ago, so I decided to use the opportunity and restore that side at the time; it was a fairly easy project. Fast forward to now... I am almost done with restoring the factory A/C part. This project is taking more work, time and patience; but getting there. I ended having to replace the evaporator because the thin line that connects the the POA valve broke when I was removing it

I realized that Old Air is the only place that sells the correct expansion valve for my truck https://www.oldairproducts.com/produ...118014-c139005. I tried other sources, but what they sent was not the right fit.

I also decided to replace the old POA valve with the POA Upgrade kit https://www.oldairproducts.com/produ...122575-c157460.

I was also advised to add an cooling fan on the evaporator core to keep the high pressure side of the system under control. To do that I bought the fan, a relay and a trinary high pressure switch that gets attached to the top of the receiver/drier bottle. I couldn't find reasonable priced kit, so I bought these pieces separately. This link shows a picture of the trinary switch and most importantly the installation diagram https://www.vintageair.com/custom/pr...p?pn=11086-VUS I found a cheaper trinary switch on Amazon though.

The last part to complete my project is to replace the compressor. I purchased an OEM remanufactured one from Summit Racing, installed it, but it is hard to turn when the clutch is engaged with the system charged, so they are sending a replacement under warranty.
elguadas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 02:20 PM   #8
Jcfcamaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by elguadas View Post
Hello all,

This is my first post. Although, I've been a watcher and reader for a number of years. I've also used a lot of the tips and advise in this forum too. I have a 71 C10 LWB and over time have restored the front and rear suspension, power steering, brakes, 700r4 tranny swap, 3.73 gear differential upgrade, and many other details to list.

On to the question. My heater core went out a couple of years ago, so I decided to use the opportunity and restore that side at the time; it was a fairly easy project. Fast forward to now... I am almost done with restoring the factory A/C part. This project is taking more work, time and patience; but getting there. I ended having to replace the evaporator because the thin line that connects the the POA valve broke when I was removing it

I realized that Old Air is the only place that sells the correct expansion valve for my truck https://www.oldairproducts.com/produ...118014-c139005. I tried other sources, but what they sent was not the right fit.

I also decided to replace the old POA valve with the POA Upgrade kit https://www.oldairproducts.com/produ...122575-c157460.

I was also advised to add an cooling fan on the evaporator core to keep the high pressure side of the system under control. To do that I bought the fan, a relay and a trinary high pressure switch that gets attached to the top of the receiver/drier bottle. I couldn't find reasonable priced kit, so I bought these pieces separately. This link shows a picture of the trinary switch and most importantly the installation diagram https://www.vintageair.com/custom/pr...p?pn=11086-VUS I found a cheaper trinary switch on Amazon though.

The last part to complete my project is to replace the compressor. I purchased an OEM remanufactured one from Summit Racing, installed it, but it is hard to turn when the clutch is engaged with the system charged, so they are sending a replacement under warranty.
Not to be rude, but you should probably start your own post , otherwise my post is going to turn into something else.
Old 09-30-2021, 03:45 PM   #9
elguadas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcfcamaro View Post
Not to be rude, but you should probably start your own post , otherwise my post is going to turn into something else.
Didn't intend to deviate from your post's question, rather trying to offer help from my own experience to tackle this job. My apologies if I went into too much detail.
elguadas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 07:27 PM   #10
Jcfcamaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by elguadas View Post
Didn't intend to deviate from your post's question, rather trying to offer help from my own experience to tackle this job. My apologies if I went into too much detail.
No problem. Good luck with your build.
Old 09-30-2021, 11:58 PM   #11
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Quote:
Has anyone restored there heater/A/C box on the firewall ? Needing to do mine and wanting any help info any of you guys can help with. Pictures would be great also. Wanting it to look factory if possible.

What do you need to know about it? I've restored mine pending a COVID compressor, that's supposed to be the "easy part". Details are long if you get my meaning, though I jump in pretty deep. Safe to say your starting with an A/C cab and original A/C components?

A few pics. Assuming you're starting off with A/C, get a A/C gasket kit, I installed with silicone glue, high temp or something like.

If you have original wire/hose "P" clips at the lower Evap restore them, they're a nice thin gauge, you don't want to mess up the studs. Cross your fingers your evap. door is still nice, what are the odds your upper cowl door is useful, not great you have the spring, but you can find one that works, you said restore You'll need a new A/C diverter unless you're handy enough to make your own door, because your old one is likely toast. You have to test your diaphragms.

Reuse all your clips if you're lucky to have them? Some are not replaceable from a practical sense. Personally I have or in process restoring all original parts less the evaporator & condenser. The replacement condenser should be a great fit, yeah apparently they do sell a tube that's OER, it's a beauty too, and according to them "it's made for R134A". OLD AIR 11-7201 - Condenser | 1967-1972 Chevrolet Pickup models.

You'll need 1/8" A/C vacuum hose. I think I got my kit from Old Air, way more than enough hose, same with the O-ring kit I haven't installed yet pending a compressor Really, the list is long, there are a lot of components to A/C and you said original That's high level-ish.
Attached Images

71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring the truck from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s details, OEM identifications & part numbers, written in short order. 700+ images of assm., illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2021, 12:16 AM   #12
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Also,

I think I picked up the evap. drain hose from Old Air, might even work, time will tell.

You can install new rubber on your kick panel vent doors or buy new doors, I took the later option and painted.

Heater core's had gaskets of some sort, most might be installed or reinstalled w/o but I used high temp 3M insulator tape.
Be neat if the core melts it anyway.............The foam gaskets they sell don't work, that's how often they're installed I guess?? Do over I'd cut my own if I had the foam. Some guys like to use the 3M for other gaskets as well, word is at the heater box, but I don't know, my kit came with a foam gasket. If you like the condition of your evap. case, invest in Rolite Fiberglass polish, goes a long way and a great metal polish in places too.
71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring the truck from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s details, OEM identifications & part numbers, written in short order. 700+ images of assm., illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025
Old 10-01-2021, 05:46 AM   #13
Jcfcamaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402 View Post
Also,

I think I picked up the evap. drain hose from Old Air, might even work, time will tell.

You can install new rubber on your kick panel vent doors or buy new doors, I took the later option and painted.

Heater core's had gaskets of some sort, most might be installed or reinstalled w/o but I used high temp 3M insulator tape.
Be neat if the core melts it anyway.............The foam gaskets they sell don't work, that's how often they're installed I guess?? Do over I'd cut my own if I had the foam. Some guys like to use the 3M for other gaskets as well, word is at the heater box, but I don't know, my kit came with a foam gasket. If you like the condition of your evap. case, invest in Rolite Fiberglass polish, goes a long way and a great metal polish in places too.
Great info... I was lucky enough years ago to have a local scrap guy that would bring in 67 -72 trucks to crush them and would let me take anything off I wanted before he scraped them out. I think I have 4 systems to pick from. My last system I pulled off a truck I parted out was all there and in pretty good shape but I plan on redoing everything. I did order all the gasket kits last night and the ones for the kick panel also. I'll drill the rivets out and sandblast /repaint ect. My main concern is how to bring the main out box back to life. Mine is kinda faded.
Old 10-01-2021, 05:50 AM   #14
Jcfcamaro

Also need to find a heater core. Every place sells them but I'm sure some are good replacements and some are junk.
Old 10-01-2021, 10:58 AM   #15
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Quote:
Great info... I was lucky enough years ago to have a local scrap guy that would bring in 67 -72 trucks to crush them and would let me take anything off I wanted before he scraped them out. I think I have 4 systems to pick from. My last system I pulled off a truck I parted out was all there and in pretty good shape but I plan on redoing everything. I did order all the gasket kits last night and the ones for the kick panel also. I'll drill the rivets out and sandblast /repaint ect. My main concern is how to bring the main out box back to life. Mine is kinda faded.

Super

If I knew up to the late 90s what I do now. Then they started crushing steel. where I live pickers pretty much don't exist or far away?? I take alerts for media, amazing what comes up for 12-15K (cough!). Even "restorations" and unmolested are few. There was one every block in the 90s.

Speak of pick overs, I saved almost everything A/C when we R&R the block in 1993. Put it in a box with clips and didn't have a clue what where, oil pan trans. line clip & such. Anyway, missing a clip for a/c valves and a bunch of bracket bolts.

But that's apparently what I bought my 72 Super for. It had all the bolts in a good way, A/C clips too, and I swapped one for a matching option, two types for at least one spot. It's Edelbrock etc. replacements, body rusted through, but comes through 90+% of the time for my restoration. Last was my new wire harness has the wrong clip at the alternator. Pop open the hood, another pleasant surprise.

The twist was my restoration isn't a rusted truck, however the battery ate up the box. Did some damage to the core support too. The box was near perfect in my rust truck, easy swap.

Last edited by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402; 10-01-2021 at 11:18 AM.
Old 10-01-2021, 08:41 PM   #16
Jcfcamaro

Started on my first piece tonight.
Attached Images

Old 10-01-2021, 08:47 PM   #17
Jcfcamaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402 View Post
Also,

So you used the rolite polish to get your outside box to look like that? It looks amazing and definitely is the look I'm going for.
Old 10-01-2021, 10:25 PM   #18
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Quote:
So you used the rolite polish to get your outside box to look like that? It looks amazing and definitely is the look I'm going for.
Yes. It's pretty dirty, you just can't tell Smoke and ash for two straight months, though blends nicely with the fiberglass??? I hit it 3x with a day or so in-between for overkill, but my thinking is more a treatment than hide. It can hide some light areas like everyday stuff, but I buffed it out well each time. Depends what you're starting with, my other case is solid but bleached out, can't say it would bring back much, not sure.

Last edited by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402; 10-01-2021 at 10:31 PM.
Old 10-03-2021, 02:04 PM   #19
Already Gone
70+ ( Old Skool Club )

If your still looking for a heatercore this should work for you. I bought one of theses last year pre-Covid and keep procrastinating on the install so can't help you with how well it works. https://www.npdlink.com/product/core...0664?year=1972

Members I have personally met: MusicMan70 - HeavyD - ChewyChevy67 - StingRay -71SWB4x4 - 67 Burb - DeadheadNM - too much stuff - bc65 - das601

" Circumsatances Do Not Change Responsibility "

" The Sky is not the Limit, Your Mind is." Marilyn Monroe ..

RIP Charlie Watts 1941 - 2021
Already Gone is online now   Reply With Quote