The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-19-2021, 11:18 PM   #1
MDFarms

Thinking ahead on sound system & interior

Couple more question while I'm thinking ahead. Is there a thread or can we start a new one with best sound deadining options along with behind or under seat speaker and amp locations? With no rear tank I had a couple idea's but one was too deep ........taking fuel tank cutting center out recessing in and building into speaker box with sound deadining and using filler neck out the original hole or soemething alreay built to fit. Like idea of a good sounding sub and amp behind seat with corner speakers and then under seat forward facing front speakers? If anyone has built my idea above point me in the right direction!

I'm sure many have come up with designs while trying to keep the OEM look BUT with good sound or at least I'm hoping.

Secondly who makes best aftermarket carpet and seat covers? Still looking for nice parchment visors and belts.

Thanks in Advance
MDFarms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2021, 12:16 PM   #2
Big Kev-O

Re: Thinking ahead on sound system & interior

ACC Auto custom carpet with the mass backing is the best. I bought mine from Rock Auto since they had the best price.

There are tons of sound deadening materials available. Dynamat is one of the best but is way overpriced in my opinion. Kilmat is a excellent product with an outstanding price. There are some cheaper solutions but but I would avoid anything made with asphalt as it tens to stink and melt when heated.

Do not modify your existing tank or attempt to turn it into a speaker box, it will have horrible acoustics. There are lots of prefabricated speaker boxes available that will fit behind your seat. If you want a more custom fit look and do not have the skills to build your own box you hide the box by building a cover with a speaker cut-out that hides you box & amp.

Sealed boxes are easy to build and will provide excellent sound quality with plenty of bass. My plan is to use a "shallow" 12" sub or a pair of 10" subs with a recess in the box for my amp. There are quite a few members here who posted pics of some pretty nice installs.

Let me know if you have any questions. I have been doing custom installs in cars, trucks and boats for over 20 years.
Old 12-20-2021, 03:40 PM   #3
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

Fat Mat and some no-name brand 80/20 loop carpet from Summit Racing. Cheap and easy.

I still have the tank in cab. My truck is too loud for a stereo.

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2021, 04:54 PM   #4
un4gvn!

I was planning on a really nice sounding stereo system. First I moved the gas tank to the Blazer position which is under the bed towards the back of the truck. I went with all Kenwood brand. I'm using the 450 watts 6x9s installed in the cab corner area using the speaker brackets I purchased from this web sight. I put the sound deader on the floor and the back panel under the rear window and on the back of the door panels. I also installed ACC carpet with the jute backing. It does make a differences. I got cheap with the carpet using the crap from Summit once. It didn't fit right and was very poorly made. Get good carpet. Out of curiosity, I wanted to hear what the stereo sounded like so far and plugged it in. It sounds fantastic. I listen to classic rock mostly. All I have is the stereo and 6x9 speakers installed and I'm very satisfied. I was going to install a sub woofer and amp but decided to save the money and head ache of modifying the electrical wiring.
un4gvn! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2021, 06:10 PM   #5
Already Gone
70+ ( Old Skool Club )

Quote:
Originally Posted by un4gvn! View Post
I was planning on a really nice sounding stereo system. First I moved the gas tank to the Blazer position which is under the bed towards the back of the truck. I went with all Kenwood brand. I'm using the 450 watts 6x9s installed in the cab corner area using the speaker brackets I purchased from this web sight. I put the sound deader on the floor and the back panel under the rear window and on the back of the door panels. I also installed ACC carpet with the jute backing. It does make a differences. I got cheap with the carpet using the crap from Summit once. It didn't fit right and was very poorly made. Get good carpet. Out of curiosity, I wanted to hear what the stereo sounded like so far and plugged it in. It sounds fantastic. I listen to classic rock mostly. All I have is the stereo and 6x9 speakers installed and I'm very satisfied. I was going to install a sub woofer and amp but decided to save the money and head ache of modifying the electrical wiring.
What did you do with the original front speaker ?

Members I have personally met: MusicMan70 - HeavyD - ChewyChevy67 - StingRay -71SWB4x4 - 67 Burb - DeadheadNM - too much stuff - bc65 - das601

" Circumsatances Do Not Change Responsibility "

" The Sky is not the Limit, Your Mind is." Marilyn Monroe ..

RIP Charlie Watts 1941 - 2021
Already Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2021, 06:39 PM   #6
Already Gone
70+ ( Old Skool Club )

I bought a set of these 6 x 9 corner brackets in the link years ago and still have them. I've never installed them as I just had my in cab tank removed this past summer. My plan is to get my original AM Radio upgraded to an AM/FM Bluetooth/USB deal and use the speaker R-57 UK in the dash , I have an A/C truck, and I installed the non A/C speaker R410-UK in my previous truck with a Sony Single DIN Unit, dash was already cut in that truck, and was satisfied with the sound from it. For me the upgraded original speaker along with the dual cone R-57UK 5 x 7 up front and two good quality 6 x 9's in the rear corners and do the floor and back wall with Kilmat and then cover back wall with carpet and for this old guy thats all I wiill need.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=476976

https://www.retromanufacturing.com/p...nt=31329208398

https://www.retromanufacturing.com/p...nt=31329182158

Members I have personally met: MusicMan70 - HeavyD - ChewyChevy67 - StingRay -71SWB4x4 - 67 Burb - DeadheadNM - too much stuff - bc65 - das601

Old 12-20-2021, 06:40 PM   #7
Already Gone
70+ ( Old Skool Club )

Quote:
Originally Posted by un4gvn! View Post
What did you do with the original front speaker ?

Old 12-21-2021, 02:06 PM   #8
un4gvn!

Those are the corner brackets I'm using. My rear speakers sound so good, I'm not using the dash speaker. I too am older and my system satisfies me.
un4gvn! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2021, 12:43 AM   #9
dmjlambert

I don't have anything in the dash yet, but plan on putting in a stock speaker and original AM radio, in working condition.
To supplement that I put in a tiny Fosi bluetooth amplifier feeding into a big Kicker amp, and 4 each 6.5 inch JBL speakers. It's all under the seat and I have an in-cab gas tank behind the seat. I made and painted plywood boxes for the speakers. I really like the sound, it is excellent. The sound appears to come from all around but centered on the dash, I don't know how that works out, but it's great. I play from my phone or iPod via bluetooth. I have an under dash 8-track player that also feeds into it. The 8-track player has a little bit of buzz that I haven't worked out yet, but it is only apparent when the music is turned very low, which I don't do very often. The tunes from phone and iPod are very clear and noise free.
Here is the setup with the seat lifted and I was working on it, and when I put the seat back down and bolted it in, the speakers are not very visible, they just peek out from under the seat. Driver side and passenger side each have a box with a pair of speakers.
Attached Images

dmjlambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2021, 11:33 AM   #10
Peanut74

Here is a thread to the speaker box I'm working on:

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=820555

I used Kilmat for my sound deadener and thermal barrier. I used it on a '89 Toyota Pickup and has worked great for me.

1971stepside posted a nice looking speaker box on it also. You can also look in the FAQ section and find a lot of information there and ideas.
2012 Jeep JKU "Crush"
1976 Chevy short bed with a 327 and 3 on the tree (Sold it to buy the Blazer)
1971 Chevy Blazer (Sold it)
Peanut74 is offline   Reply With Quote