The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-17-2021, 11:34 AM   #1
MARKDTN

Full Cab Floor-any recent experiences?

I have been a very long time lurker. I have had my square body for 30 years now next week. I have always wanted a 69 or 70 truck. So I am working a deal on a '69 C20 with a horrible rotten cab and a spare nicer cab that needs a floor and 1 rocker. I looked at videos and a great post here from about 5 years old on putting a full floor in. So looking for any recent experience with putting in a full floor with rockers. Whose did you use? I see to brace it before you cut it out. Any other advice? I am not really much of a body guy, but I have replaced floor pans on a '66 Mustang that came out OK.
'07 Tahoe(Son driving)
'14 Suburban-DD
'71 C10-current project
MARKDTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2021, 01:04 PM   #2
tutone

Re: Full Cab Floor-any recent experiences?

I am halfway through a full floor replacement on a 72. Yes you will brace and you will end up replacing much more sheet metal than just the floor. Everything the floor touches will most likely be rusted. Here is a link to a great series of videos that I watched.

https://youtu.be/p-rD_3RUgAM
1955 210 2 dr sedan/1998 RCSB Z71
tutone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2021, 04:32 PM   #3
Mustang Shooter

I did a complete floor on my 69 c10, I'm now in the process of fitting both of the rockers.
I didn't think that the floor replacement was a horrible task but, I did mine on one of my rotisserie and could position it where I needed.

The tedious parts for me have been fitting the portions of kick panel, lower post and rockers.

Along with bracing, make sure you take good pics of everything before you begin removing damaged metal, there may be something you would want to reference later. Also take any measurements that you feel would be important.

I made sure I scribed a deep line at the back if the inner cab wall where it meets the floor. When I installed the new floor, I made sure that I matched the new floor surface to that line.

At the floor to the toeboard joint, it was easier to cut on the floor side about an 1/8" - 3/16" below the joint and then grind the spot welds and peel the remaining floor material from the toeboard flange. I drilled my holes for the plug welds on the new floor flange.

Make sure you have all of the spot welds drilled on the back of the cab.

I will use clamps to hold things together while fitting and then use 1/2" self tapping screws to hold temporary if I need to fit something else before welding permanently.

I'll try to post a few pics this evening.
If you come up with any questions, holler.

Dan
Mustang Shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2021, 07:05 PM   #4
May70

I have a YouTube channel with like 30 videos on rust repair for these 67-72 cabs. I also have a thread for my 70 which I posted some pics/details to, the youtube channel is much more detailed.

This video linked below is the first of four videos in the floor pan series I uploaded. Total its over 3 hours of video. A full floor replacement takes a lot of work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ysU...omRestorations

Im about to reply to your other thread.

How to repair that rusted out 67-72 c10-c30! Please subscribe!
https://www.youtube.com/c/MaycoCustomRestorations

Last edited by May70; 12-22-2021 at 07:20 PM.
May70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2021, 08:41 PM   #5
bigmac73

I can vouch for MAY70's you tube vids since one of the cabs he was working on was mine. he did a good job on the floor replacement and rockers and cab corners..
It is worth your time to take a look at those vids.
Progression Ignition /Holley 750 DP/3:73 gear Eaton Limited Slip unit / 2 1/2 exhaust glasspacks
bigmac73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2021, 08:52 PM   #6
Fbks_Cruiser

I haven’t yet taken on the chore of floor/ rockers but I have watched all of May70’s videos and highly recommend them.

Matt
Fbks_Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote