The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-11-2014, 11:23 PM   #76
Leverhead

Re: CPP Drop Spindles: Conflicting Information

Yes...the caliper brackets...thanks I forgot about that. The kit came with mismatched UBJ's and outer rod ends. CPP took care of it and sent me the correct ones. Also not sure about the LBJ's now either. Finally got a chance to start this mod...and now back to the drawing board. I'll call CPP Mon and post my findings. Thanks for replying.
Leverhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 12:48 PM   #77
Leverhead

Spoke to Van @ CPP...he's going to look into it. Question for 'LOSTMY65' or the OP. Do you know the casting# on your spindles? Mine are CP4S4. Chart in this thread says will move wheels out 1/16". Wondering if the castings are the same.
Old 10-13-2014, 05:58 PM   #78
LostMy65
But Found Her 25yrs Later!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leverhead View Post
Spoke to Van @ CPP...he's going to look into it. Question for 'LOSTMY65' or the OP. Do you know the casting# on your spindles? Mine are CP4S4. Chart in this thread says will move wheels out 1/16". Wondering if the castings are the same.
I don't remember the CPP casting but they most definitely moved my wheels out 5/8".
This was last year sometime. Fortunately I bought them from Summit, Not only were they cheaper than what I could find elsewhere, but they also gave me free shipping. And when I saw they moved my wheels out, they let me send them back no charge. If and when I buy modular, I will surely buy from Summit again.

66 C20 Service Truck:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=428035
LostMy65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 08:37 PM   #79
Leverhead

Smart move. I just measured again and I'm finding 5/8 to 3/4 out from lbj hole to rotor mounting face compared to the drums on the truck now. The chart definitely says 1/16 out for this casting and I was also previously told before purchase it would be 1/4 out...so I'm confused....unless I'm looking at this the wrong way. Giving them the benefit of the doubt as they have taken care of me before. When I hear back from CPP I'll post...thanks.
Old 10-21-2014, 11:54 AM   #80
Leverhead

Well still waiting for a resolution although CPP rep is saying I may be able to swap my std 2.5 dropped for modular for the extra cost of the modular. So that brings another question for those who are running GM 15x8 rallys up front with modular:

How much do they really move the wheel in and is there any interference with the front suspension (lower control arms for example) using CPP modular dropped with 15X8 rallys? Anyone?
Old 11-04-2014, 02:19 AM   #81
LostMy65
But Found Her 25yrs Later!

Quote:
Originally Posted by big d's red67 View Post
Ok, here we go again. I am NOT a vender, I went from drum to regular drop spindles to the CPP moduler spindles and I know for a fact not guessing not maybe but diffent the modular spindles are 1 1/8 inch narrower than the regular drop spindles and about a 1/6 inch wider than drums. I'm sure there a veranceis from truck to truck but not much.
I can understand the irritation or frustration with repeating the same information over and over.
'Here we go again' is only because we've had overwhelming misinformation.
In no indefinite terms it's been stated many times by cpp and some vendors that the wheels will not move out with any cpp spindles.
But the regular cpp spindles do move the wheels out 5/8". It's going to take a lot of positive experiences posted in these forums that the modular spindles do not move the wheels out over drums before I'm willing to spend $300.

66 C20 Service Truck:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=428035
LostMy65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 12:06 PM   #82
Leverhead

And I'm still waiting for someone at CPP give me an answer about this. I've been getting the run around. I spoke to the person who created the CPP chart that shows the tread width changes for each of their castings. Now they are saying they may have messed...esp with the 1st gen c10 trucks. Since it is their mistake I thought it would be fair to have them let me send the std spindles back and send me either corrected new design std spindles or modulars (I would pay the diff for the modular) but still nothing.

Interesting 'bid d red67' says it is the modulars that move the wheels out 1/16 from drum and not the std spindles.....this is contrary to what I was told by CPP.
Old 03-24-2021, 04:59 PM   #83
gringoloco
A guy with a truck

Digging it up, stirring the pot, then setting it on fire:

Here’s an easy way we can verify the differences. Straight edge on the wheel mounting surface, measure to the middle of of the lower ball joint (easy to find, it’s the grease fitting). This should eliminate most of the variance between trucks, a-arms, springs, etc. This will require some audience participation; I’ll start.

Belltech LD (light duty) 73-87 3” drop spindles. Kore3 C5 brakes (advertised as .03” narrower than a stock rotor, or negligible). I get roughly 4 15/16”.

Would be beneficial to see other setups’ measurements, stock, drum, disc, dropped, and most of all, modular. Anyone else care to pull a wheel to help settle this once and for all?
Attached Images

Instagram _elgringoloco_

'70 Short-Wide How to: Ruin a perfectly good C10
‘70 Blazer ConversionHow To: Ruin a Perfectly Good 4wd
'72 Highlander How To: Ruin a Perfectly Good K/5 (SOLD)
'72 Blazer 2WD How to: Ruin a perfectly good Blazer (SOLD)
'05 Yukon Daily Driven (not so stock) Yukon (SOLD)
‘07 Yukon Denali (daily)

Members met list: SCOTI, darkhorse970, 67cheby, 67cheby'sGirl, klmore, porterbuilt, n2billet, Fastrucken, classicchev, Col Clank, GSFMECH, HuggerCST, Spray-Bomb, BACKYARD88, 5150, fine69, fatbass, smbrouss70, 65StreetCruiser, GAc10boy
gringoloco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2021, 09:09 PM   #84
blacknwhitedog

Still the same problem with CPP. Just received a pair of 2.5 drop spindles for a pre 71 c10. They move the wheels out 5/8” per side. What CPP is not saying is that they use the same casting for all model years 63 and up. The only machining difference is in the ball joint and tie rod stud holes. That being said, 71 and up probably doesn’t change much but any prior year will most definitely move your wheels out. Trying to return these now after the CPP rep told me that these Would NOT move the wheels out relative to the original drum brake track width, and they are giving me some bs about how that’s impossible. Sold millions they claim without issue.
blacknwhitedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2021, 10:15 PM   #85
outlaw 3454

i went thru that with cpp also they have sold you the wrong ones you need the modular ones. make em change em out. you may have to get really mad to get it done
the modular ones do not have provisions for a dust plate good luck
outlaw 3454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2021, 12:54 AM   #86
blacknwhitedog

They are taking them back but wont admit that their engineering is flawed. I’ll keep my mcgaughey classic drop spindles and spend my money with Porterbuilt moving forward. One inch narrowed and forward control arms will tuck those tires back where they belong.
blacknwhitedog is offline   Reply With Quote