The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-11-2022, 04:00 PM   #1
BrentBTK

Steering Column Saga Continues...BAH!!!

I returned the P.O.S. CJ Pony Parts steering column after realizing what garbage it was and that it wouldn't bolt in. Bit the bullet and ordered a new Flaming River column and paid to have it overnighted as this is my driver and I'm without a vehicle. It finally arrives today, just in time, I need to run some errands. NOPE. WTF??? While the output shaft is actually the correct diameter and splines, it is COMPLETELY ROUND. NO FLAT SPOT. That won't bolt into the GOD DA** universal joint either. Eff me. I'm ready to scream. The effing truck sat for 3 days waiting on this supposed bolt in column and I'm gonna have to replace the shaft anyway. BAH!!!!! Now I guess I gotta cut this fricking stock universal off and order something else. I can't effing win. FML.
BrentBTK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 04:34 PM   #2
BrentBTK

Re: Steering Column Saga Continues...BAH!!!

Now, I'm gun shy ordering a shaft. I found 2 Borgeson shafts with the rag joint connector on one end and the spline on the other. Part numbers 000934 and 000930. The 930 says for 73-78 and the 934 is from 79-91. I see nothing for a 71. To further confuse the issue, the 934 states it's for rag joints with 2.5" bolt spacing. Mine looks to be 2.5" so I'm guessing it'll work, but I swear to God, if I order another $200 worth of parts and still can't drive this thing I'm gonna set it on fire and walk away.
Old 01-11-2022, 05:01 PM   #3
Accelo

Have you considered grinding the flat spot into the column?

I get your frustration. The aftermarket is supplying parts for our trucks but the quality and fitment is suspect.
I would call Flaming River. Maybe they have ideas. Can't be the first time.
Accelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 05:58 PM   #4
BrentBTK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accelo View Post
Have you considered grinding the flat spot into the column?

I get your frustration. The aftermarket is supplying parts for our trucks but the quality and fitment is suspect.
I would call Flaming River. Maybe they have ideas. Can't be the first time.
I did consider it, but I really don't want to wreck a brand new $1,000 column. Plus, I imagine that flat spot is "keyed" to the steering wheel. I can see me grinding a flat spot and having a permanently crooked wheel. Not that I have any faith of getting it straight at this point. I'm beyond frustrated. Being stranded in the driveway for going on a week blows.
Old 01-11-2022, 09:00 PM   #5
Accelo

I have looked at various installs and they all seem to use an adapter shaft.
I included a picture of one.

Also here is a link to;
How To Install CPP Premium Tilt Steering Column (1967-1972 C10)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ya8oQrGDz2A
This video shows a flat spot on the shaft. Noted this isn't a flaming-R install.

My guess is the reseller forgot to mention you needed other parts for the install.

There isn't only one way to install the steering wheel. It can be rotated correctly by repositioning it on the shaft. I am unsure how important the correct indexing is. The turn signal canceling cam can be repositioning, per the Flaming-R instructions.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZMiOv5p1IY

Flaming is closed for the day. Call them in the morning. They will have the correct answers. May be able to grind a flat spot anywhere. They will know.
Flaming Rivers number 440-826-4488

Resellers don't know sh**. Although many times their pricing is better than the OEM.
I have had good luck in the past calling the OEM, for recommendations, and then purchasing from Summit or others to get the better deal.
Attached Images

Last edited by Accelo; 01-11-2022 at 09:08 PM.
Accelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 09:09 AM   #6
BrentBTK

Thanks Accelo. I've calmed down, accepted the situation, and hopefully can get it corrected today. I ordered a universal I'm hoping I can make work and will be calling Flaming River this morning. Fingers crossed.