The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-23-2022, 08:47 AM   #1
MARKDTN

How to get rid of a rat in new-to-me truck

I inherited a truck that has been sitting since at least 2008. I knew when I got it that mice had been in there as there was a lot of nesting material. But it was cold and so I assumed they were gone. Brought it home 100 miles and parked it on the trailer in my lower yard. It sat 2 weeks and last Saturday I decided to clean it out. Wearing gloves and a mask, I open both doors and took a leaf blower from the drivers side and blew as much as I could out. I folded down the seat and that is when I saw the rat. The body is at least 6-8" long. It is the size of a small rabbit or big kitten. I took the leaf blower and blew at him hoping he would go out the open door. He did not, he went up the passenger side pillar post inside. So I cleaned out the fluff behind the seat. I went and bought a box of 3 mouse poisons. Saturday night I took the top off so it just had a block of green poison exposed. Sunday morning the entire box was gone. Saturday night same thing-top off box, place behind seat, Monday morning it was gone. Monday night I put the last one out but left the top on. Tuesday morning it was gone too. Tuesday afternoon I took the leaf blower and blew out the cab again. I saw the rat go under the dash behind the glove box. I removed the seat and found that is where he has been living. I did find the 3 boxes of poison and he did nibble pretty good on 1 block. I put all the poison back in the middle of the floor. It is raining a lot here and my yard is a pond now. So:
1-How do you get rid of a large rat? My dad says carbon monoxide from a lawnmower. Maybe antifreeze? What if he climbs up on top of the headliner and dies? I had my 20-gauge yesterday but he didn't get out of the cab.
2-I am concerned about Hantavirus or similar. This rodent has been in there a long time. How can I get this truck clean enough to drive again? Lysol everything?
3-what if he decides to come to the house now that I have removed his nest under the seat? My wife is very afraid. The trailer is probably 40' from the back door. Its a pond now so I can't get down there to move the trailer without tearing up the lawn badly.
Help! Thanks
Attached Images

'07 Tahoe(Son driving)
'14 Suburban-DD
'71 C10-current project
MARKDTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2022, 08:54 AM   #2
Rich72C10
Mr. Cheyenne

Re: How to get rid of a rat in new-to-me truck

Dear lord man, that is some story. I am pretty sure my Ex-Wife would have set the truck on fire while I wasn't looking!

Good luck!

'72 Chevy C10 Cheyenne *Super WHT/MED BRONZE/WHT
SBC 350 | TH350 | LWB | AC | Buddy Seats
Upgrades: Tilt | Front Sway Bar | Radio | Sliding Window | Bed Spare w/Lock
Bed Rails | Full LEDs | Courtesy Lights | Tachometer | Glovebox Lock & Light | Head Light Relays | *Upgraded Fully Super Trim
Rich72C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2022, 09:01 AM   #3
sick472

The poison should work since it's been eaten, but I'd throw a rat trap (not mouse trap) in there with some bait on it. Peanut butter works well for mice...rat's too, I'd bet!

1972 C10
1976 C10 (parts truck)
1985 K20
sick472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2022, 09:54 AM   #4
HO455
Post Whore

I would try trapping it so it doesn't end up dieing inside the heater box or some other hard to access location.
If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377
HO455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2022, 10:06 AM   #5
Grumpy old man

That's his truck now and I'll bet there's a lot more than one ! it's been infested for so long already I don't think I would have even brought that home . They've probably been chewing on every wire and there's no doubt the dash is full of rat treasures , Give it a few days and you'll know if the rat poison worked on some of them it will really start smelling bad , The poison works by making them hemorrhage internally and they will seek out water . I'd tow that away from your house asap ! Buy a BIG snake !

1967 Factory short bed - Old school
'71 - 350 / 4bolt / 487 heads / Edelbrock C3BX
Muncie M-22 4 speed / Hurst Comp plus
Factory 12 bolt posi 3.73 / 255-70-15
Smoothed firewall / Factory cowl induction
Power disc brakes / power steering / 3.5-5" drop
Grumpy old man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2022, 10:29 AM   #6
MARKDTN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy old man View Post
That's his truck now and I'll bet there's a lot more than one ! it's been infested for so long already I don't think I would have even brought that home . They've probably been chewing on every wire and there's no doubt the dash is full of rat treasures , Give it a few days and you'll know if the rat poison worked on some of them it will really start smelling bad , The poison works by making them hemorrhage internally and they will seek out water . I'd tow that away from your house asap ! Buy a BIG snake !
I have had several offers to buy this truck. That is probably the easiest option. But I can't just flip it. I helped my uncle get this truck in 1988 and I have history with it. He wanted me to have it more or less on his deathbed. I have to get it running again and drive it before I sell it. Underhood the engine is not locked up, has water and oil. It's a 350. It will run again. Only wiring damage there is the headlight harness. I am prepared to change the wiring harness under the dash if necessary. It's a stripper truck so no options which should make it not too hard. It is definitely worth fixing, not a junker by any means. But I have to get rid of the giant rodent(s) without getting bitten and without it/them getting on top of the headliner to die and then clean it out/decontaminate first. How do I make it/them want to leave? Carbon Monoxide? Heat? Some kind of bug bomb? There is not much if any nesting material left. No seat. Nothing to eat except poison. I will probably tear up the yard and move it today, but that moves it away from both power and water.
'07 Tahoe(Son driving)
'14 Suburban-DD
'71 C10-current project
Old 02-23-2022, 10:31 AM   #7
MARKDTN

Quote:
Originally Posted by HO455 View Post
I would try trapping it so it doesn't end up dieing inside the heater box or some other hard to access location.
As much nesting material as there is the heater box will have to come out.
'07 Tahoe(Son driving)
'14 Suburban-DD
'71 C10-current project
Old 02-23-2022, 10:38 AM   #8
57taskforce
All about them K’s

Deer mice carry haunta, you shouldn’t have anything to worry about there. At least that’s what they say in the yearly trainings we have on it at work; we have had several cases in my thru the years.
‘69 K10 SWB http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=805206
'98 Silverado LT K2500HD ECLB Vortec 454/4l80E: 6" lift 315/75/16's
‘87 IROC-Z all original 50K mile survivor TPI 305 IROC Blue
‘10 Camaro 2SS/RS Aqua Blue Metallic #93 -version 2.0
57taskforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2022, 10:39 AM   #9
plantman

Set a five gallon pale of water on floorboard.Put a can with peanut butter on it.Drill hole through can suspend with a rod....
plantman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2022, 10:47 AM   #10
MARKDTN

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57taskforce View Post
Deer mice carry haunta, you shouldn’t have anything to worry about there. At least that’s what they say in the yearly trainings we have on it at work; we have had several cases in my thru the years.
That is good to know. So just a thorough cleaning and I should be OK?

I have had a suggestion to use an ozone generator in there. I am going to try that if it is not raining this afternoon.
'07 Tahoe(Son driving)
'14 Suburban-DD
'71 C10-current project
Old 02-23-2022, 10:57 AM   #11
Alex69c10

My wife would have adopted him and called him Clive. We had pet rats for years. They really hate the smells of onions, so if you slice open a couple and leave the doors open, they'll probably vacate.
Alex69c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2022, 10:57 AM   #12
jabborabbo

.22 rat shot. https://www.shtfblog.com/snake-shot-...hooters-guide/
Old 02-23-2022, 11:34 AM   #13
SkidmoreGarage

Hanta is spread through breathing in contaminated material (usually poo). If you are concerned about disease, it is best to use dust control, use a vacuum, and at least an N95 mask and wash your hands and clothes immediately (being practical here, it's not Outbreak and it's not a known contaminated crawlspace). Think of it like asbestos. You have to breathe it in or eat it for it to be hazardous. For cleaning, I'd do 10% bleach solution and a lot of water to rinse. Then I'd use dish soap to clean up the dirt and oil. Be sure to rinse the bleach really well. It can accelerate the rust as it's a salt solution.

As far as getting the rat, he's mostly trapped in the truck until he runs out of food. Just use sticky traps where you see that he's running past and a few rat traps with peanut butter and leave the door shut and wait. It always works. No need to go commando and end up hurting yourself, a pet, or the truck. The more you disturb, the more likely he dies hiding in the roof.
SkidmoreGarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2022, 11:39 AM   #14
Jason Banks

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkidmoreGarage View Post
he dies hiding in the roof.
Oh man, that would be bad.

I like the sticky trap idea. My first thought was gas him with exhaust. Maybe it would at least make him groggy so you could drag him out.
Jason Banks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2022, 12:10 PM   #15
raggedjim

Maybe one of those ultrsonic devices would chase him away? Never tried one so can't say for sure.

Good luck, Rg

'68 Short step - https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=849675
'69 ('70?) 2wd Blazer
'70 GMC Jimmy 2wd
raggedjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2022, 12:25 PM   #16
mrtoni

Divorce her
mrtoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2022, 12:34 PM   #17
Big Kev-O

There are actually four types of mice/rats that can carry hantavirus. I wouldn't chance it. Besides who wants to breathe airborne rat poo. Simple Green Pro3 + is what I use to disinfect prior to clean up. I prefer the smell of the SG over bleach and it's not corrosive. You can pick up a gallon of the concentrate at Home Depot for $15. Spray it and let it soak for a bit. The key is to keep everything saturated so you don't breath the dust.
Old 02-23-2022, 01:12 PM   #18
Keith Seymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by raggedjim View Post
Maybe one of those ultrsonic devices would chase him away? Never tried one so can't say for sure.

Good luck, Rg
I have tried these.

The mice pooped on them, I assume in a show of defiance.

K
1986 - 2019
Intro from an Old Assembly Guy: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
My Pontiac story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
Chevelle intro: http://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
Keith Seymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2022, 01:58 PM   #19
Thundarr

Exhaust fumes or ozone generator will kill it, but you still risk it dying in a place you can't get to. I think the sticky traps with some bait in the middle of it would work. That glue is a pain to get out, but some paint thinner or goo-gone should break it down. That's the way I would go. Maybe put the sticky trap inside a box laying on its side to contain the mess when it starts trying to roll around and get out.
Thundarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2022, 02:11 PM   #20
MARKDTN

I think I am going to go make a 5-gal bucket trap half full of water. It should contain and kill so no chance of getting to the roof and decaying. If that does not work, then ozone machine tomorrow night.
'07 Tahoe(Son driving)
'14 Suburban-DD
'71 C10-current project
Old 02-23-2022, 02:22 PM   #21
davischevy

I have used the five gallon bucket method and it works well.

I would use a small live trap in the truck.

Don't poison them. They will always crawl somewhere you can't see to die. I had one die in a truck once, and the smell lasts forever.

Build thread, Arkansas K10
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...=755797&page=5

The ability to speak several languages is an asset, but the ability to keep your mouth shut in any language is priceless.
davischevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2022, 02:24 PM   #22
Zonaman

I've had good luck with these, baited with peanut butter. By the way, in my experience, it's rarely "rat" it's "rats." You can nail 3 or 4 before they get trap smart. If the peanut butter doesn't get it, and since he seems to like trucks, maybe you could use an old Ford F-100 as bait.
https://www.amazon.com/Victor-rat-Tr...12727082&psc=1

Last edited by Zonaman; 02-23-2022 at 02:39 PM.
Zonaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2022, 06:01 PM   #23
LS short box

I would put like 20 big sticky traps in the cab so he can't move any where with out getting stuck. Get a good 3M mask like the body guys wear. I would power wash the interior and engine compartment after you get the rats/mouse nests out. I'm betting the cowl vents are completely filled with rat/mouse nests.
Junk the seat covers. I'm sure they are covered in rodent piss.
LS short box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2022, 06:12 PM   #24
Getter-Done

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARKDTN View Post
I think I am going to go make a 5-gal bucket trap half full of water. It should contain and kill so no chance of getting to the roof and decaying. If that does not work, then ozone machine tomorrow night.
Yeah get the USA one.

Link Below

RinneTraps - Flip N Slide Bucket Lid Mouse Trap |Humane or Lethal| |Trap Door Style| |Multi Catch |Auto Reset| |Indoor Outdoor| |No See Kill| |5 Gallon Bucket Compatible| Made in USA (1)

Link: https://www.amazon.com/RinneTraps-Bu.../dp/B08SL6KJ29
63 Impala (my high school car)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...Crew Cab Build
Getter-Done is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2022, 06:18 PM   #25
dagnabbitt

Have you tried reasoning with him? Sounds like the interior has to come out anyway, so any method that makes it rat-free is as good as any other.
1967 K20
1968 C20
1970 C10
1972 GMC 2500
1981 C10

Last edited by dagnabbitt; 02-23-2022 at 06:24 PM.
dagnabbitt is offline   Reply With Quote