The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-14-2022, 11:18 PM   #1
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Re: What did you do today not on your truck...

I bought a new table saw, which is 220V, as opposed to the 110V job I have from before. After I got it home, I remembered that I had removed the 220V outlet that I had used for my previous table saw, which was 220V.

Today, I removed the j-box cover and discovered that I have the proper color wires so that I'm certain that when I connect the saw it won't explode because I hooked it to the power wrong. That's a $5k sweaty eyebrow wipe, for sure.

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2022, 11:55 PM   #2
68bowtie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeveedee View Post
I bought a new table saw, which is 220V, as opposed to the 110V job I have from before. After I got it home, I remembered that I had removed the 220V outlet that I had used for my previous table saw, which was 220V.

Today, I removed the j-box cover and discovered that I have the proper color wires so that I'm certain that when I connect the saw it won't explode because I hooked it to the power wrong. That's a $5k sweaty eyebrow wipe, for sure.
Haha! I know that feeling, I know just enough about everything to get my self into trouble by trying it myself. I have about a 50/50 rate of getting it right and saving money vs blowing something up and paying dearly for it.

Survivor "Lil’ Mint" (67 c10 40k mile light green original paint)
Project "C10 Fever" (68 factory black 396 swb)
Project "Little Sister" (70 c10 blue original paint refresh)
Project "Blue Bomb" (70 c30 blue original paint refresh) SOLD
Project "Vitamin C" (71 c10 orange original paint refresh) SOLD
68bowtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2022, 09:46 AM   #3
Rickysnickers

Quote:

What did you get? I would like to buy one of those Saw Stop tablesaws.
Rickysnickers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2022, 10:44 AM   #4
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickysnickers View Post
What did you get? I would like to buy one of those Saw Stop tablesaws.
The new one is a 3 HP SawStop. I bought a SawStop portable jobsite saw (1-3/4 HP) several years ago, but it has issues. It's one turn from all the way down to all the way up, and it's a pain in the butt to set the height for a dado or rabbet. It also bogs down when I'm ripping any wood over 1" thick. Other than that there is nothing wrong with it. I'll be selling it to make room for the new saw. Fortunately the new saw uses the same blades as the old saw.

Simi Valley, CA
Old 04-21-2022, 01:13 PM   #5
cab4word67

Quote:

The color of the wires is not important. Its the gauge of the wires. 120/220 is not as import and as the same 2 wires will do ether and 220 will work on smaller (larger gauge wire) because it splits the amperage across both wires where as 120 draws on one. 14 gauge wire is good for 15 amps, 12 gauge will work up to 20 amps. But you can run a 20 amp 220 device on 14 gauge because it is only drawing 10 amps per wire. Hope that makes since.
cab4word67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2022, 02:32 PM   #6
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cab4word67 View Post
The color of the wires is not important. Its the gauge of the wires. 120/220 is not as import and as the same 2 wires will do ether and 220 will work on smaller (larger gauge wire) because it splits the amperage across both wires where as 120 draws on one. 14 gauge wire is good for 15 amps, 12 gauge will work up to 20 amps. But you can run a 20 amp 220 device on 14 gauge because it is only drawing 10 amps per wire. Hope that makes since.
True about the wire color. The saw draws 13 Amps. It'll be connected to the old electric clothes dryer power line, which is 30 amps per leg. The extension cord I'm going to use was one my dad had for a planer molder that was twice the horsepower. I put in a gas dryer, which saved a ton of money on electricity over the last 20 years.

Simi Valley, CA
Old 04-21-2022, 11:28 PM   #7
Getter-Done

Quote:
Originally Posted by FleetsidePaul View Post
I have 3 "rentals' They really aren't rentals because I have family members in them.

They know better than to call me if something breaks. Fix it yourself.

My deadbeat brother lives in one of my houses and called me to say that the property taxes were due and I needed to pay them.

Really? MF'er, you live there for free! You pay them! Pay something!

He paid them. And now he's not speaking to me. I can't win.
Name:  wimpy.jpg
Views: 307
Size:  20.4 KB
I seen this this morning and thought the same as Stocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stocker View Post
Sounds to me like you did win!
You got That Right
63 Impala (my high school car)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...Crew Cab Build
Getter-Done is offline   Reply With Quote