The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-19-2022, 07:21 PM   #1
Rusty one

Steering wheel dilemma

I have a deluxe style steering wheel that I'm looking to put on my column to replace my old deluxe wheel. It seems that there is a 1/2" difference at the base.
Any one run into this before? Looking for a solution. Of course I want to use my new wheel.
Attached Images

Rusty one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2022, 07:54 PM   #2
val1gonzales

Re: Steering wheel dilemma

The outer shaft cover can be adjusted in or out to make a little space between steering wheel center shaft and outer housing on the steering column. The wheels will fit just need to adjust the gap. Loosen bolts as indicated in pics. After all bolts are loose push the outer shaft down slightly to get needed spacing. Then retighten it all back down. This is on my 66. After I rebuilt it I had to realign it.
Attached Images

Last edited by val1gonzales; 04-19-2022 at 09:20 PM.
val1gonzales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2022, 09:14 PM   #3
cgrocen

It looks like you have two different steering wheels. On one, the horn ring wraps down around the recessed area of the center hub, and on the newly painted one, it does not. The horn rings for each wheel would be different judging by what you are showing. Do you have any more photos comparing horn rings? or of the whoe wheels?
cgrocen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2022, 10:04 PM   #4
Rusty one

Quote:
Originally Posted by val1gonzales View Post
The outer shaft cover can be adjusted in or out to make a little space between steering wheel center shaft and outer housing on the steering column. The wheels will fit just need to adjust the gap. Loosen bolts as indicated in pics. After all bolts are loose push the outer shaft down slightly to get needed spacing. Then retighten it all back down. This is on my 66. After I rebuilt it I had to realign it.
I appreciate the pics but I don't have a conventional steering shaft. I'm using a rack n pinion as well as other mods
Attached Images

Old 04-19-2022, 10:06 PM   #5
Rusty one

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgrocen View Post
It looks like you have two different steering wheels. On one, the horn ring wraps down around the recessed area of the center hub, and on the newly painted one, it does not. The horn rings for each wheel would be different judging by what you are showing. Do you have any more photos comparing horn rings? or of the whoe wheels?
I'm thinking the same thing. I purchased the newer wheel years ago from someone who rebuilt and painted it.