The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-19-2022, 02:30 PM   #1
custom10nut

Simplest replacement Wiring Harness.

I’m needing to replace the full wiring harness oin my 70.
I’m doing so because it’s just 52 years old, and there are a few breaks that I had to bypass and other splices that have been added, just to “Make it Work”.
I’m asking for those who have experience with this, and not a product/Company endorsement.
If looking for “the One” that is straight forward with simple, easy to follow instructions.
I’m not looking for the cheapest, but the most sensible.
And then from the members who have done this, any advice or pointers to make it a seamless task.
Thanks in advance
custom10nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2022, 03:20 PM   #2
68 P.O.S.

Re: Simplest replacement Wiring Harness.

M&H is your best bet for "easy". They're a stock replacement harness and of great quality. Give them a call, they can do some modifications to the harness (like internally regulated alternator, HEI) if you ask.
Old 04-19-2022, 04:51 PM   #3
'68OrangeSunshine

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 P.O.S. View Post
M&H is your best bet for "easy". They're a stock replacement harness and of great quality. Give them a call, they can do some modifications to the harness (like internally regulated alternator, HEI) if you ask.
I use M&H too. Like Factory. USA Made. Connectors are exact matches to OEM parts. Color codes are exact. Lengths are right on. Assembler signs his own name to a tag on the harness.

Every 25 years I like to rebuild that 292, whether it needs it or not.
'68OrangeSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2022, 04:57 PM   #4
Peanut74

Well the first question that you need to ask yourself is are you going stock or are you going to be adding PW, PL etc. That will affect which harness would work easiest for you.

The PO of my truck used a 28 circuit Painless wiring harness. He had a bone stock truck so it was over kill for what he had. When I started to put the truck back together I went ahead and added power window, AC, etc. For things like power door locks I only ran the wire to the doors. That is so if I do decide to add them the wiring is there. Instructions took a bit to get use to as they use a matrix to show you the wires go. It worked but I am more a wire diagram person. Each wire was numbered and labeled. So that helped when I was sitting there with a fist full of wireing wondering where they all went. What ever harness you get keep the old one until all your wiring is completed. There is always that one connector not supplied with the harness that you cannot locate to purchase.l

Sorry for the long reply. But I wanted to make the point of deciding if you are going stock or not.
2012 Jeep JKU "Crush"
1976 Chevy short bed with a 327 and 3 on the tree (Sold it to buy the Blazer)
1971 Chevy Blazer (Sold it)
Peanut74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2022, 07:58 AM   #5
custom10nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by '68OrangeSunshine View Post
I use M&H too. Like Factory. USA Made. Connectors are exact matches to OEM parts. Color codes are exact. Lengths are right on. Assembler signs his own name to a tag on the harness.
Thanks to both of you.
I’m going to contact M&H later today.

And BTW I’m going with stock, non LED lights, no PW/PLs
The only thing I’m adding to what the truck came with is a factory curtesy light kit, with the door switches, and a trailer Pig tail.
When I talk to M&H I’ll ask them about that
custom10nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2022, 08:37 AM   #6
HO455
Post Whore

I used both M&H and AAW factory replacement harnesses. Both are good products with no issues and similar pricing. Availability is usually what has made the decision for me as to which brand to use.
If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377
HO455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2022, 06:56 PM   #7
BigBird05

Take lots of pictures and label all of the connectors when you disconnect them.
BigBird05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2022, 10:02 PM   #8
EA69TRK

Another vote for M&H Electric I had zero wiring in my truck when I got it and put their "Upgraded" underdash harness that takes ATO fuses, H.E.I engine harness, as well as front light harness with internally regulated alternator. When I went to install I found a colored wiring diagram here on the forum and printed it out which made everything butter smooth for install. M&H does harnesses in batches though so it may take a while to get your stuff but it's worth the wait in my opinion for ease of install. I've put in 1 Painless and 2 AAW harnesses in friends trucks and they are nice but for a basically stock truck that you aren't gonna add power windows,locks, electric fans, electric fuel pump, or big stereo they seemed like overkill and had quite of bit of extra coiled wire stashed under the dash.
EA69TRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2022, 12:34 AM   #9
Nima
Blue 67

I used Painless 28 circuit when I did mine 10 years ago. I did not have any previous experience. Everything was labeled and it had great instruction.
I didn't know about H&M and I don't have any experience with it.
1979 Camaro Z28: 5.3 vortec conversion with build TH350: drivable project, Fun to drive
1992 Camaro RS convertible (Z28 clone): 5.3 conversion with build T5: on going project
2005 Silverado 2500, 4x4 Duramax, original owner
Nima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2022, 01:12 AM   #10
Accelo

Stay stock if you want easy. I did an American Auto Wire harness. Took forever to install and crimp correctly.
Cheers.
Accelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2022, 08:01 AM   #11
Peanut74

Since you are going stock I would go with a direct factory replacement . Also, get one with new factory connectors for the lights and such. For the Painless I had to slice the old connectors in.
2012 Jeep JKU "Crush"
1976 Chevy short bed with a 327 and 3 on the tree (Sold it to buy the Blazer)
1971 Chevy Blazer (Sold it)
Peanut74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2022, 08:19 AM   #12
MARKDTN

Another vote for simple=original. It will be plug and play, easy. I have used both 'Lectric Limited and M&H in the past and both are good. If you had a modified truck I would lean towards AAW and do it yourself customized. But you should be able to do a factory replacement harness in a day.
'07 Tahoe(Son driving)
'14 Suburban-DD
'71 C10-current project
MARKDTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2022, 08:33 AM   #13
HO455
Post Whore

AAW makes factory replacement harnesses that are plug and play matches to the original GM harnesses. In addition they manufacture harnesses that have modifications for aftermarket options as well as generic wiring harnesses.

Ordering the correct harness is paramount if you want a simple plug and play factory installation. This is true no matter whom you order from.
If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377
HO455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2022, 12:44 PM   #14
MikeB

Before you buy, check out the installation manual and diagrams. I've used AAW's universal and Classic Update kits, and also Ron Francis and EZ Wire.

Examples:

Support: Both AAW and Ron Francis have 5-star tech support, whereas EZ Wire was condescending. (At least that was true 5-6 years ago.)

Documentation: AAW is first rate. Ron Francis OK but not as detailed. EZ Wire was maybe one step above worthless.

Based on your requirements and the member comments above, it's sounds like M&H might be the way to go. Just check out their installation documentation to make sure you're comfortable with it. And be sure to use a new fuse panel.
1981 C10 Silverado LWB -- sold, but wish I still had it!
1969 C10 (not the current one) that I bought in the early 1980s. Paid $1200; sold for $1500 a few years later. Just a hint at the appreciation that was coming.
Retired as a factory automation products salesman.
Worked part-time over the years for an engine builder and a classic car repair shop.
Member here for 24 years! This is the very first car/truck Internet forum I joined. I still used a dial-up modem back then!
MikeB is offline   Reply With Quote