The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-24-2022, 06:10 PM   #1
PDW HOTRODS

Door glass

I have a 1957 Chevy truck I'm working on and was thinking about changing out the door glass and using glass without the metal frame. Have others done this? I know some change to 1 piece glass but I am planning to keep the vent window. I know the factory used the frame to protect the glass, but the AD trucks with vent glass don't have the frame so I don't see why it wouldn't work. I know I would need to change the track too but I need to buy all new anyway. Thanks.
PDW HOTRODS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2022, 06:34 PM   #2
G&R's57GMC

Re: Door glass

If you keep the vent windows you’ll need to make the window glass channels narrower by doubling up on the weather strips to accommodate the thinner glass and you may even have to have custom glass made larger to make up for the frame.
'56 Chevy Long Bed I6, 4 speed Bought 1990 Sold 8.22.2020
’56 GMC Suburban Pickup V8, 4 speed Hydramatic Bought 1996 Sold 10.11.2020
My Other Tinkerings http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...75#post8967275
G&R's57GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2022, 02:26 AM   #3
mr48chev

There are narrower glass channels available that are the same outside width but fit the glass without the frame. I have what is left (in unusable condition) of some I bought for my 48 about 40 years ago. The big problem is that most likely if you use laminated glass you are going to end up with cracked glass when some clown slams the door of the truck when they close it.

I figure that it is going to be a bit on the spendy side flat glass wise but I will probably haul my 48 to Vancouver Wa to Sanders Repro glass to have them make tempered windows for the doors. https://www.sandersreproglass.com/

My buddy had laminated glass put in his chopped 48 and three hours later when he gave a gal a ride in it she slammed the door and cracked the glass.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2022, 11:59 AM   #4
PDW HOTRODS

I have had a few 53 style trucks with vent windows and no frame around the glass that worked fine and didn't break, but the AD trucks I had without vent windows and the 55 and up trucks all had the frames. I can get the window track no problem, but I haven't seen the glass for sale cut bigger for no frame. Because of that I was wondering if there is a reason to keep the frame. Maybe the shape of the glass or the way the glass mounts in the lower track or the regulator design cause more stress on the side glass. GM added the frame for a reason.
PDW HOTRODS is offline   Reply With Quote