The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-02-2022, 02:55 PM   #1
DanJC

steering swap question - tie rods

I have searched and searched and cannot find the answer. We are swapping a square body power steering box and center link onto our '67 with original power steering due to the non-stop leak of the '67 design.
Got the box fit to the frame and the bumper bracket cut for clearance. Went to bolt up the center link (it has the correct taper for the pitman are and there is no way to the original...) Looks like I need to use the square body inner tie rods (11/16) and the original '67 outers (5/8) to fit the spindle tapers.
In all the threads I have read I have never seen this issue addressed. Anybody have any help?? Thanks-
DanJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2022, 03:34 PM   #2
pjmoreland

Re: steering swap question - tie rods

I did a disc conversion on my '68 C/10. I've got the original centerlink on it with square body style drop spindles. My outer tie rods are outer square body style, and my inner tie rods are original '68 style, but they are outers installed in the inner position so that the thread direction matches what's needed to work with the outer tie rods. The inner and outer tie rods are connected with adapter adjustment sleeves. It seems to me that you could use this same arrangement, except installed in reverse, with the outer square body tie rod attached to your square body centerlink, and the original smaller outer tie rods installed in their normal position. Here are the adapter sleeves I used:

https://www.performanceonline.com/19...ONVERSIONS-Pr/

Another option might be to go back to your original centerlink and get a K6131 Pitman arm to match it.
pjmoreland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2022, 04:39 PM   #3
May70

One thing you may consider is pulling the squarebody spindles/hubs and swapping to discs. That way your whole system is squarebody components and youve upgraded.

Otherwise yes you need squarebody inners and 67 outers, call POL they have the adapters you just need to know the year.

How to repair that rusted out 67-72 c10-c30! Please subscribe!
https://www.youtube.com/c/MaycoCustomRestorations
May70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2022, 05:59 PM   #4
DanJC

OK, I think I've got. I thought maybe there was some combo of stock parts I could use but if I understand correctly for this particular application the "adapter" is necessary. I made these and that seemed to solve the issue, everything seemed to fall right into place...
Attached Images

Old 11-02-2022, 06:04 PM   #5
pjmoreland

Resourceful. I'm impressed that you had a 5/8-18 LH tap handy, as well as a LH jam nut.
pjmoreland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2022, 06:37 PM   #6
DanJC

We've done some "hot rod" type chassis fab stuff in the past so luckily some times we the odd ball stuff laying around...
Old 11-03-2022, 10:29 PM   #7
MikeB

Brings back memories! I bought similar tie rod adjusting sleeves back in the dark ages (mid 90s) from Golden State Pickup Parts to go from 69 inners to 73-up outers. Eventually went to a later model center link and documented all the P/Ns for the future owners -- my son and grandson.
1981 C10 Silverado LWB -- sold, but wish I still had it!
1969 C10 (not the current one) that I bought in the early 1980s. Paid $1200; sold for $1500 a few years later. Just a hint at the appreciation that was coming.
Retired as a factory automation products salesman.
Worked part-time over the years for an engine builder and a classic car repair shop.
Member here for 24 years! This is the very first car/truck Internet forum I joined. I still used a dial-up modem back then!
MikeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2022, 10:15 AM   #8
DanJC

That's cool - would you be willing to share your part numbers?? Thanks
Old 11-04-2022, 01:00 PM   #9
MikeB

The info is in an Excel spreadsheet. If I copy it here, the formatting is all messed up. Also tried attach it as pdf and html, and neither worked.

Send me a private msg with your e-mail address and I'll send it to you. If you don't have Excel, I'll send it to you as a pdf file.
1981 C10 Silverado LWB -- sold, but wish I still had it!
1969 C10 (not the current one) that I bought in the early 1980s. Paid $1200; sold for $1500 a few years later. Just a hint at the appreciation that was coming.
Retired as a factory automation products salesman.
Worked part-time over the years for an engine builder and a classic car repair shop.
Member here for 24 years! This is the very first car/truck Internet forum I joined. I still used a dial-up modem back then!
MikeB is offline   Reply With Quote