The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-07-2023, 07:28 AM   #1
K10-Kansas

Speedometer cable disconnected for years

Looks like after the PO made changes, a longer speedometer cable was needed but they just left it. The speedo cable was hanging disconnected behind the instrument cluster and disconnected, hanging off the frame. The speedo port on the transfer case is caked in dirt and oil. Do I just brush out the transfer case speedometer port with a bristled brush and clean it out with paper towels or am I going to have a bigger problem because this type of port should never be allowed to get contaminated?

If it is just a matter of cleaning it off, any ideas on an effective method?
Old 01-07-2023, 08:26 AM   #2
kwmech

Re: Speedometer cable disconnected for years

You can blow all the junk out with compressed air. It may have been disconnected b'cuz it was noisy or stuck. I'd pull the end at the speedo down and see if you can turn the inner cable with your finger tips or just pull out the inner piece, clean it up and lube it. I'd actually get that out of the way first
kwmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2023, 09:11 AM   #3
K10-Kansas

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwmech View Post
You can blow all the junk out with compressed air. It may have been disconnected b'cuz it was noisy or stuck. I'd pull the end at the speedo down and see if you can turn the inner cable with your finger tips or just pull out the inner piece, clean it up and lube it. I'd actually get that out of the way first
Thanks. It has a foot long area where it's totally destroyed. Also, it's too short. It was mounted to the 1971 cab and when the PO set that cab on the 1977 frame, the speedo cable no longer reached the transfer case and they just left it mounted to the firewall and sitting on the frame.

That's just my guess though. In the last 4 weeks after getting the truck home, I'm doing a whole lot of guessing about what the previous owner did. The cab was originally a 2WD manual. The truck is now a 4x4 automatic. What would have moved the underbody speedometer port so far from the instrument cluster speedometer port to have made the cable not long enough? Switching to 4x4? Switching to a manual transmission? Switching to a 1977 K10 chassis?
Old 01-07-2023, 12:10 PM   #4
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Originally Posted by K10-Kansas View Post
Looks like after the PO made changes, a longer speedometer cable was needed but they just left it. The speedo cable was hanging disconnected behind the instrument cluster and disconnected, hanging off the frame. The speedo port on the transfer case is caked in dirt and oil. Do I just brush out the transfer case speedometer port with a bristled brush and clean it out with paper towels or am I going to have a bigger problem because this type of port should never be allowed to get contaminated?

If it is just a matter of cleaning it off, any ideas on an effective method?

I would spray the transfer case port out with some carb cleaner. That should wash the gunk out of it. Then blow it out with air like kwmech said. Just be sure and wear safety glasses and be off to the side when you do both.

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2023, 07:44 AM   #5
K10-Kansas

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockDoc View Post
I would spray the transfer case port out with some carb cleaner. That should wash the gunk out of it. Then blow it out with air like kwmech said. Just be sure and wear safety glasses and be off to the side when you do both.

LockDoc
Thanks. I have some break cleaner. Would that work also?
Old 01-08-2023, 10:47 AM   #6
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Originally Posted by K10-Kansas View Post
Thanks. I have some break cleaner. Would that work also?
Probably, but I don't think it cuts the grease as good as the carb cleaner does. If that is what you have I would try it.

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2023, 10:28 PM   #7
Accelo

I purchased a new one, because mine was too short to reach with a 4l60E conversion.
I paid $11.66 for it. The chemicals to clean it may be more than that!

This one is slightly longer than stock ThM350 cable.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Accelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2023, 08:36 AM   #8
K10-Kansas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accelo View Post
I purchased a new one, because mine was too short to reach with a 4l60E conversion.
I paid $11.66 for it. The chemicals to clean it may be more than that!

This one is slightly longer than stock ThM350 cable.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Thanks. LMC is a few blocks from my house. They have a 10 foot for like 10 bucks. I like to get stuff there since returns are so easy.