The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-15-2023, 09:59 PM   #1
PaulJG

wheel expert needed

I found tire/wheel receipt in glovebox...along with coins and marbles. yay
1969 C30
2019 Receipt miles 6537
current miles. 106719

Question is..if new wheels are correctly ordered why are they then drilled? Should I post the full receipt?

Photos dont show a whole lot but maybe an expert wheel man can ease any concern. I will eventually remove(soon) once I have axle replacement. So I have no need of dually wheels/tires and plan to sell them locally but would like to have something intelligent to offer. So apparently they have 200 miles on them..maybe. Person I bought it from got it from an estate and was flipping it..the install was just before covid hit.
Friends son has worked for this tire corporation for over 25 yrs.

Thanks for reading.
On a fun note..on way back from job site we almost stopped off to se Dan Woods...my boss knows him...haha I had to look him up...was thinking Garlits era. He gave boss's son a beautiful trailer with a generator and welder. I'll shoot a pic and include in future comment here.
Attached Images

PaulJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2023, 10:33 PM   #2
factorystock

Re: wheel expert needed

These wheels were designed to fit '71 and newer C 30's, not '70 and older. When Chevy went to disc brakes on '71 C 30's, they also increased the wheel stud size to 9/16" from previous 1/2" studs. So they redrilled smaller holes to fit smaller studs. I'm sure it originally had 16" 2 piece rims and somebody wanted newer 16" solid.
factorystock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2023, 11:41 PM   #3
PaulJG

Factorystock,
Thanks for the reply.
It was a little red flag..glad it was lack of knowledge on my part.

Yes I guess if I built these I wouldn't bother drilling for barely used stud size....makes sense. Expensive but cheapest solution.
Old 02-16-2023, 07:29 AM   #4
special-K
Special Order

I had a '70 that I put chrome Budds on, so they had 9/16" holes. I drilled and changed all the studs to 9/16. I had nay-sayers saying I'd struggle to keep things centered. I ignored, the holes are already located on center. I can't imagine attempting to drill wheels with fresh holes. Seems overly complicated.

It's cool to see someone here from Eureka. I lived a short while down in Fortuna in 76/77. I loved that area! Great memories, the other California

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2023, 10:01 AM   #5
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
I had a '70 that I put chrome Budds on, so they had 9/16" holes. I drilled and changed all the studs to 9/16. I had nay-sayers saying I'd struggle to keep things centered. I ignored, the holes are already located on center. I can't imagine attempting to drill wheels with fresh holes. Seems overly complicated.

It's cool to see someone here from Eureka. I lived a short while down in Fortuna in 76/77. I loved that area! Great memories, the other California
Agreed. Stronger studs seems the smarter route. They were upsized via the manufacturer for a reason.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2023, 12:36 PM   #6
PaulJG

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post

Thanks SpecialK(just finished a bowl..haha).
My brother lived at the Lighthouse Ranch back before that time(sister late 70s) If you ever met anyone from there I might recognize their names. I was here in 80s then mostly in Salem OR area for 30 yrs.
I like your smooth faced barden bumper by the way!..looking for one.
I have a step bumper with RALPHS MENA (Arkansas I'd imagine) ..I want the more industrial farm look.
Anyone recognize thing underneath near bumper?

Sorry about all the pics..but you guys love em.NO PICS. I'M MISSING A SECURITY TOKEN?

Apparently there are 2 Dan Woods..both Rat Rod guys. My boss is friends with the original... Milk Truck Dan...here is the trailer..
Old 02-16-2023, 12:42 PM   #7
PaulJG

success
Attached Images

Old 02-16-2023, 08:27 PM   #8
special-K
Special Order

Cool stuff. More pictures!!

Yeah, when I was there was the first crop year for what Humboldt became famous for. I know the whole story on that from a friend Steve in Fields Landing. A couple years later 60 Minutes did a thing on the weed scene and they interviewed Steve. His voice was altered and they showed his silhouette in his doorway. I knew it was him and his house from back here. I visited after that and told him I saw him on 60 minutes and his eyes about popped out of his head

I only recall first names, except Bob Anderson who I worked with and hung out with. He lived in Carlotta. Oh yeah, Mike Regli was from a local dairy family over by Ferndale. A gal I knew from back here married him (Dawn), but it didn't last and she's back east now. I hung with a retired logger named Max, his wife was Iola. He drove a Willys Wagon. I ended up there because people I knew that went to College of the Redwoods. I've been back a few times but not in many years. I stayed on a little ranch on Hillside Drive. I sure got sick on old trucks out there!

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
Old 02-16-2023, 08:36 PM   #9
CG
BlahBlahBlah

My uncle and aunt (moms sister) moved to Eureka in the early 70's. I think they have lived in the same house the whole time. Aunt died recently, uncle is still kickin. I think he's pretty old. Probably 90's by now. No idea what the cousins are up to. I dont keep up with family but Im sure my brother does since he's a Facebook junkie and more intuned to family members far and wide. I like it down there, was a good place to pop in and say hi before a trip through the redwoods.
Old 02-16-2023, 09:55 PM   #10
PaulJG

SpecialK..
My brother has been here since 1970..Boss since late 70s after vietnam. I dont recognize names mentioned but he might..4th generation Eurekan.
Old 02-17-2023, 10:01 AM   #11
special-K
Special Order

Even with not knowing the same people, I'd love to sit down and reminisce on the time I spent there. I had friends from up in Kneeland down to Scotia. That wedding was held at the Scotia Inn. My buddy Bruce Hoeck maintained the generators at the Airport in Eureka. I had a '61 Studebaker Champ I bought locally and sold to him when I left. When I came to visit he'd let me run it around. Great memories! I ran up to Williams Creek in it and got some pictures. I left there thinking I'd be coming back to stay. I came back to help my folks with the old place they were fixing up. Met a gal and.............
Attached Images

Tim

Old 02-17-2023, 09:43 PM   #12
PaulJG

CG/SpecialK

The do-hickey behind my bumper..someones guess was a backup beeper. Cool. I'm keeping/using that.

Boss didnt recognize names. but was super distracted this morning. Berg family..had some old roots here.
It was a long time ago.

Kneeland..Meet Martin Gift back then?..a real rancher not tv stuff. Guy was a beast of a man. His ranch in the 80s was 12 volt powered only, Im sure there was a generator when needed. Beef jerky was dried meat.. thats it. He served horse at a wedding there..so he said. I got lost hunting on his property for a few hours..it was dark as Ive ever experienced outside a cave. He was farther down the road towards Bridgeville. His son runs it now
Meet a Dr Omey here by chance? Your teeth were probably fine back then.
Famous job stints..I worked at McMurray and Sons(briefly)..1st job was a flat roof for the USGC..I was in tears that evening. Worked at Lazios in Fields Landing, 305 Coffee shop, and Dalys. Landmarks at one time. Its really too bad Lazios folded..they had such a historical restaurant in Eureka near the bay. Maybe someone will bring it back someday and Geppettos too.
I backpacked a little in the Trinitys and once in the Marble Mtns, spelunked on Soldeir Creek. Moved away in 87.
Some outdoor media gave this area a #1 a few years back. It really is scenic..super easy to take it for granted.
I have friend who owns the famous barn off 101...I asked him if he's been to the beach lately..."why would I do that?". I took him there after lunch. No biggie for some of us. Were doing job at Big Lagoon..boss takes me over to his fishing hole..all kinds of waterfowl..Bald Eagle flies over... boss says.."I remember when it was a juvenile..we fish together." Condors have been released near Orick..brother got to see their site...way off limits now.

Back to my truck..I now have all the steel associated with the flatbed off. Just have a little weld clean up.
I'm approximating 800 lbs worth of steel used on it.
Rear axle removal next. Wrecking yard guy walked me up to some 80s 4x4s one a C30.. but didnt have a Dana 60. Im actually going light on this for a few years.
Kinda fun looking for stuff. Just not long drives.
I figure I may be able to rebuild a bumper to get something like yours SpecialK..just need to find a smooth face one with diamond plate on top.
Attached Images

Old 02-17-2023, 09:54 PM   #13
CG
BlahBlahBlah

I only know my relatives from there, LaBranche.

Recently sold my 71 C30. Kept a few of the interesting bits, compass, level. Some things from when it used to have a motor home/camper on it.
Old 02-17-2023, 11:11 PM   #14
special-K
Special Order

You brought back memories of places. You're right, that area is the best! I used to buy a can of Fosters and ride out to Petrolia to drink it and fish. Steelhead fishing on the Eel, too. I took a ride on my bicycle out Rt36 beyond Rhonerville. That was not a good idea . There used to be a C&W bar along the Eel I'd go to Friday nights. I got myself a dog in Bridgeville. Just me and him camped and hiked up in the Trinity Alps for a week. Never saw a bear. I'm pretty happy about that. I worked planting trees a while on Simpson Lumber land up along the Klamath. Long ride and long days, but it was piece work and I made good money. I worked with that friend Bob A. building a shop on the bluff by Rhonerville. Can't remember that guy's name, but he was the excavator who did the work when they built College of the Redwoods. A lot of the materials we used were left over from there. I just did pack away my photo albums to renovate my bedroom or I'd copy some pictures and post. The best thing I did was hook up with good old Max the retired logger. He opened doors for me. He knew everybody it seemed. He lined me up with what work I found. I'm sure he's gone by now.

So about your truck. Just what is your vision for that? Single wheel 4wd? Pickup bed?

Tim