The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-21-2023, 03:36 PM   #1
D-n-Tyke

Will stock crossmember work with this swap?

Getting ready to drop a 6.0/4L80E combo into our 1969 that originally had a BB396/TH400 combo. I am using the Holley Blackheart motor mounts, which is supposed to postion the back of the bellhousing in the stock location. I have heard that the stock crossmember can be used, but I am not sure if it requires it to be moved, or the mounting holes redrilled, or???? What rxperiences have you guys haved?
D-n-Tyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2023, 04:39 PM   #2
Joyridin

Re: Will stock crossmember work with this swap?

If you plan on running headers, you might think about running a new crossmember with the humps already in place so you do not have to fight going under the crossmember.
Joyridin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2023, 05:02 PM   #3
D-n-Tyke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyridin View Post
If you plan on running headers, you might think about running a new crossmember with the humps already in place so you do not have to fight going under the crossmember.
Planning on running some Speed Engineering Headers. Hadn't heard of that issue in the oast. That's a bummer. Have a suggestion for an inexpensive one. I like the Blackheart one, but that price is out of the budget right now.
Old 02-21-2023, 05:19 PM   #4
Joyridin

I have Speed Engineering on mine. They seem to fit nice and they are 304 SS. I think I paid $300? They make a couple different styles. I think they are designed in USA and made overseas. They beat a manifold by a long shot.
Old 02-21-2023, 07:16 PM   #5
D-n-Tyke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyridin View Post
I have Speed Engineering on mine. They seem to fit nice and they are 304 SS. I think I paid $300? They make a couple different styles. I think they are designed in USA and made overseas. They beat a manifold by a long shot.
Perfect, thanks for the review on the headers. I have a set sitting on the shelf waiting to be installed.

I meant my question to be asking about a crossmember options other than the Blackheart crossmember. It is out of my budget right now. Sorry about the confusion.
Old 02-21-2023, 10:32 PM   #6
LS short box

You might check out Speedway Motors for a universal street rod type trans cross member.
They come in different drops and can be cut to widths as needed.
LS short box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2023, 08:23 AM   #7
Joyridin

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-n-Tyke View Post
Perfect, thanks for the review on the headers. I have a set sitting on the shelf waiting to be installed.

I meant my question to be asking about a crossmember options other than the Blackheart crossmember. It is out of my budget right now. Sorry about the confusion.
I have a Tejas Steel Works cross member in mine. It was $125 at the time, but is $!40 now. The humps were not high enough to clear the exhaust, so I had to modify it. Not a huge issue, but I would find another brand next time.