The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-18-2023, 04:43 PM   #1
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Grill Replacement

I have a butchered '71-'72 grill on my truck. I'm looking at replacing it with a new correct grill, but looking at the parts needed, I'll have to buy brackets specific to '69-'70. I'm curious how different the '71-'72 grill brackets are and if I can retrofit. Anyone who has more experience than I have any pointers?

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2023, 04:52 PM   #2
Rods

Re: Grill Replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeveedee View Post
I have a butchered '71-'72 grill on my truck. I'm looking at replacing it with a new correct grill, but looking at the parts needed, I'll have to buy brackets specific to '69-'70. I'm curious how different the '71-'72 grill brackets are and if I can retrofit. Anyone who has more experience than I have any pointers?

The outer grill brackets are the same on both no mods needed.

If your wanting to change from 71-72 grill to 69-70 all you will need is the center support as they are different and you would need to change the front bumper as the 69-70 park lights are in grill not the bumper like 71-72.
Old 07-18-2023, 05:30 PM   #3
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Thanks! Part of the butchery is that the park lamps are mounted into cutouts in the grille- the front bumper is the original '70 bumper.
Attached Images

Simi Valley, CA
Old 07-18-2023, 11:37 PM   #4
Rods

Quote:
Thanks! Part of the butchery is that the park lamps are mounted into cutouts in the grille- the front bumper is the original '70 bumper.

That will make things easier and take less time that’s a win win
Old 07-19-2023, 12:37 AM   #5
Richard

I think you only need the grill surround and grill insert hardware kit. As said side brackets are the same and I would bet the center support/latch is your original. I have the grill insert for you. Will give you a hand installing if you like.
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2023, 07:44 PM   #6
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Next question. My headlight bezels are black, appear to be painted. Looking at the "Front End Friday" thread, I'm seeing both chrome (or at least shiny) and black. Some also appear to be body color, but I don't want orange "punkin" eyes on my truck. Which way is correct?

Simi Valley, CA
Old 07-20-2023, 11:58 PM   #7
cericd

69-70 bezels were painted black and made of steel from the factory. To my knowledge, these steel bezel are not reproduced. 71-72 were lighter weight (aluminum?) and unpainted. These are available as reproductions. Any other color is a custom touch.

My 1970 SWB C/10 - https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=534872
cericd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2023, 07:04 AM   #8
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

You may also need to change the center hood release if you are going back to 70 style grille. Not sure what they used on yours since they added the 71/72 grille. The lights don't look bad in there.

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!
Palf70Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2023, 08:53 AM   #9
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cericd View Post
69-70 bezels were painted black and made of steel from the factory. To my knowledge, these steel bezel are not reproduced. 71-72 were lighter weight (aluminum?) and unpainted. These are available as reproductions. Any other color is a custom touch.
Looks like my FiL used the original '70 bezels, then. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palf70Step View Post
You may also need to change the center hood release if you are going back to 70 style grille. Not sure what they used on yours since they added the 71/72 grille. The lights don't look bad in there.
Thanks, I'll have to look at the artwork at the vendor more closely to determine if the center bracket and so forth are correct for the '70 grille.

Simi Valley, CA
Old 07-21-2023, 09:40 AM   #10
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

I have not ever owned a 71/72, but I know they have different part#s. also as pointed out in the videos, the center grill support is different for 69/70 and 71/72

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FoOVAx1stg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qGl7sj5p_4

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!

Last edited by Palf70Step; 07-21-2023 at 09:59 AM.
Palf70Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2023, 11:22 AM   #11
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

True, that center bracket is quite different. I have that in my shopping cart, as well. Thanks for the videos. Looks like the hood latch is different, too. Except I went and looked. My FiL used the original '70 hood latch- the lever isn't offset like in '71-'72.

Simi Valley, CA
Old 07-21-2023, 11:48 AM   #12
D.PASSMORE
One of the First

California - I would bet you can find all OE parts around there. I would say a lot better quality and less expensive. I like the 69/70 grills, but never was a fan of the bowtie mounted up on the hood face.

'71 SWB K/10 CUSTOM DELUXE (Chili)
'72 BLAZER K/5 Muscle Truck (Mule)
'72 LWB K/20 CHEYENNE (Blackie)
D.PASSMORE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2023, 12:14 PM   #13
jeffahart

I just replaced my inner and outer. I bought a chrome from LMC and it is super nice But I don’t have the Aluminum trim anymore and I have a lot of chrome on my truck. Tool wise, locate your pop riveter, you’ll need it to install the inner. Getting a new outter is a worthwhile expense. You will love it

J
Old 07-21-2023, 12:52 PM   #14
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Pretty sure I have two pop rivet tools. Loaning tools, then forgetting, buying another, then the borrower returning it, years later. Happened more than once (but not with the riveter).

Looking at the installation kit, I'm betting I have enough fasteners around here (and hundreds of pop rivets) to install everything.

Simi Valley, CA
Old 07-21-2023, 01:02 PM   #15
jeffahart

Quote:
Pretty sure I have two pop rivet tools. Loaning tools, then forgetting, buying another, then the borrower returning it, years later. Happened more than once (but not with the riveter).

Looking at the installation kit, I'm betting I have enough fasteners around here (and hundreds of pop rivets) to install everything.
My inner came with rivets. I bought a new bowtie for my hood too. I also got a real nice set of new hinges from rock auto(what a difference)! When I replace my engine I will pull the fenders and re-shim everything to perfection. I'm not happy with some of my reveals. But I love my new grill!

Have fun!

j
Old 07-21-2023, 01:08 PM   #16
jeffahart

Here's my new grill from LMC.

Name:  grill.jpg
Views: 174
Size:  109.4 KB
Old 07-21-2023, 03:05 PM   #17
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

^ Sure is purty! I see you have chrome headlight bezels. I'm going to leave mine back, but with a repaint.

Simi Valley, CA
Old 07-21-2023, 03:41 PM   #18
jeffahart

Quote:
^ Sure is purty! I see you have chrome headlight bezels. I'm going to leave mine back, but with a repaint.
It sure is, and the picture does it no justice.

The new grill came with the chrome bezels. I was going to stay with black but the originals are badly pitted, so is my original aluminum grill. Like an old sand blasted windshield. So, I just used the chrome. I would have had to buy new black ones. My color scheme is chrome and white anyway. I'd stay with black if I were you. But you might get new bezels shipped with your grill. If so, they probably won't be black.

j
Old 07-21-2023, 04:23 PM   #19
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffahart View Post
It sure is, and the picture does it no justice.

The new grill came with the chrome bezels. I was going to stay with black but the originals are badly pitted, so is my original aluminum grill. Like an old sand blasted windshield. So, I just used the chrome. I would have had to buy new black ones. My color scheme is chrome and white anyway. I'd stay with black if I were you. But you might get new bezels shipped with your grill. If so, they probably won't be black.

j
Bezels are supposedly sold separately; we'll see. I ordered it an hour ago. If UPS goes on strike, I hope I get it before that. That's if it ships via UPS.

Simi Valley, CA
Old 07-21-2023, 04:53 PM   #20
cericd

It's my understanding that those "new" non-steel bezels dent/ding fairly easily and don't hold paint well if you decide to go with the original black color bezels. I've seen several of the new cheapo/thin repops with peeling black paint on them. Definitely will want to refinish your original steel ones if you want that look. Also, instead of pop rivets they make smooth headed bolts with lock washers and nuts that look much like the original smooth rivets used to attach the outer grill to the brackets. Pop rivets are a dead giveaway that the grill has been replaced on one of these trucks. In your first pic in this thread it appears that someone must've modified your original 1970 grill because there appears to be a smooth headed black rivet above the headlight bezel which means the grill hasn't been replaced.

I think these are the correct size (might want to search the forum for accuracy) rivet screws that folks are using instead of pop rivets for a much nicer look IMHO. The heads could be paint black to match the factory look.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/132404770155

My 1970 SWB C/10 - https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=534872
cericd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2023, 05:51 PM   #21
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cericd View Post
It's my understanding that those "new" non-steel bezels dent/ding fairly easily and don't hold paint well if you decide to go with the original black color bezels. I've seen several of the new cheapo/thin repops with peeling black paint on them. Definitely will want to refinish your original steel ones if you want that look. Also, instead of pop rivets they make smooth headed bolts with lock washers and nuts that look much like the original smooth rivets used to attach the outer grill to the brackets. Pop rivets are a dead giveaway that the grill has been replaced on one of these trucks. In your first pic in this thread it appears that someone must've modified your original 1970 grill because there appears to be a smooth headed black rivet above the headlight bezel which means the grill hasn't been replaced.

I think these are the correct size (might want to search the forum for accuracy) rivet screws that folks are using instead of pop rivets for a much nicer look IMHO. The heads could be paint black to match the factory look.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/132404770155
There are currently pop rivets holding the grill onto the left and right side brackets. The original hood latch is in there, and one can only get two fingers on the release lever, but it has the '71-'72 center bracket. Totally the way my FiL did things. I bought the mounting hardware kit, but if I don't like the look of pop rivets I'm sure that I can source the fasteners you linked locally. I'm not too concerned with looking original, though. There's so much that isn't, already. Just looking to get rid of the wrong grill with the goofy park/signal mounting setup.

Simi Valley, CA
Old 07-21-2023, 10:26 PM   #22
zicc1835

subd...good info I got a box of the center braces and hood releases going to I D and put them up for sale
zicc1835 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2023, 11:46 PM   #23
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Yeah, that Chad guy was pretty good at explaining it all. Saved me from buying a hood latch I didn't need. Him and Palf70step (thank you very much!). Gonna sand my headlight bezels down and paint 'em nice and black, too.

Simi Valley, CA