The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-24-2023, 09:11 AM   #26
Accelo

Re: Driver's Inner Fender Brace

I had the same issue with my aftermarket inner fenders. Simple thing, one would think, to get the holes in a straight line. Seems they just don't care.
It took a lot of work to get them to fit and not show the elongated holes.
Accelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2023, 09:17 AM   #27
Rich72C10
Mr. Cheyenne

Hey @Accelo - thanks for chiming in.

Though mine aren't just a simple "straight line" issue - those two forward holes aren't even close to being in the correct place.

I looked at some angle iron online that likely will do the job, though there won't be a small lip and the angle down over the inner fender isn't a 90° bend. I suppose not of that really matters, other than I'd know its all wrong and I'll cuss at it every time I look down at it :'(

Edit: I agree with you about getting it right - like WTF?!? I have seen two sources for the LH Inner fender's online. Assuming the photo's aren't outdated for new stampings, they still are selling them just like mine. Then there is some that look to be correct or at least the forward holes are the same 3 hole pattern as the rears. Granted, they could still be fudged up and not spaced correctly/straight!

'72 Chevy C10 Cheyenne *Super WHT/MED BRONZE/WHT
SBC 350 | TH350 | LWB | AC | Buddy Seats
Upgrades: Tilt | Front Sway Bar | Radio | Sliding Window | Bed Spare w/Lock
Bed Rails | Full LEDs | Courtesy Lights | Tachometer | Glovebox Lock & Light | Head Light Relays | *Upgraded Fully Super Trim
Rich72C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2023, 09:20 AM   #28
dmarty

Just replaced my original 72 inner fenders with repos from LMC. 3 of the 4 holes lined up but had to drill the inner fender for the third. RustyPile is right, don't drill the brace, just the inner fender as the unused hole(s) will not show. No need to modify an original brace.

99 Silverado 1500 LT with 315K miles
(RIP)

2012 GMC Sierra SLT
dmarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2023, 09:36 AM   #29
Rich72C10
Mr. Cheyenne

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarty View Post
Just replaced my original 72 inner fenders with repos from LMC. 3 of the 4 holes lined up but had to drill the inner fender for the third. RustyPile is right, don't drill the brace, just the inner fender as the unused hole(s) will not show. No need to modify an original brace.
LMC doesn't show much of a photo on their site - were your two forward holes like my photo? Just wondering really.

My problem is one of the holes I'd need to drill is blocked by a 4 sided nut that is tacked wielded very well on each of its corners to the inner fender :-/

Bed Rails | Full LEDs | Courtesy Lights | Tachometer | Glovebox Lock & Light | Head Light Relays | *Upgraded Fully Super Trim
Old 08-24-2023, 09:52 AM   #30
dmarty

My repo inner fender did not come with welded nuts, just holes. The hole that didn't line up with the brace holes fell in-between the two forward holes, so no problem for me to drill the extra hole. I used flare nuts on the under side for the nuts rather then scrounge up some weld-nuts and weld em. And I could have welded up the wrong hole, ground it smooth and painted it, but didn't bother. BTW, my repo came with two holes drilled to hold the parking brake cable but my original had one hole and one mounting clip on cable, but in the area of the repo unnecessary hole the original had a large dimple where another hold could be drilled. I tried to add a second cable clip, but the old cable didn't flex enough for it to work with the extra hole so just put a bolt in the empty hole to fill it. Repo parts are a pain!!!

99 Silverado 1500 LT with 315K miles
(RIP)

2012 GMC Sierra SLT
dmarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2023, 10:00 AM   #31
Rich72C10
Mr. Cheyenne

Seems like a totally different "hole" problem - gee wiz!

I keep thinking how I can drill the hole that has the "weld-nut" blocking me. Even if I was to get enough of it off for the bolt to go through, then I'd have a problem with getting a new nut to go down. I don't think I could get to it with Dremel tool and banging it off doesn't seem likely.

My other task I have in the works is removing the front fender(s) - perhaps when I am doing that I'll gain some more room to get the "weld-nut" off at my brother's shop up in East Texas.

Heck, this was suppose to be a easy job! I don't know if I should cry or laugh LOL!

Last edited by Rich72C10; 08-24-2023 at 10:17 AM.
Old 08-24-2023, 12:23 PM   #32
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

(GR 5) 1/2" hex recessed head tapered bolts with spin washers. The bolt threads are 5/16-18. I found mine with two different lengths, 7/8" and 1". Shame that fender is wrong, how'd they screw that up.
71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring the truck from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s details, OEM identifications & part numbers, written in short order. 700+ images of assm., illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2023, 12:30 PM   #33
Rich72C10
Mr. Cheyenne

Unbolted the alternator and set it to the side, then commenced drilling into my inner fender. The forward hole is slightly wobbled out to miss the "weld-nut", not to noticeable... Lucky me I had a two matching nuts that mate up to the fender screws. I just need one more for the furthest rear hole of the brace and job done (USPS is late on my parts package - f**kers).
Attached Images