The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-07-2023, 03:27 PM   #1
saddletramp

72 EEC question

Afternoon Guys I've decided to keep the gas tank in my cab my truck has that EEC system when me and my son took this truck apart 5 years ago we didn't take any pictures of the in cab fuel system I've read some threads on this site can someone post me some pictures of this system or acouple of threads i can see what some of you guys did what line goes where and without the canister what I can use on the vapor line under the cab Thanks Guys
saddletramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2023, 08:25 AM   #2
RustyPile

Re: 72 EEC question

I don't have any pictures of my EEC system.. Sorry, I'm not much of a camera bug and
don't "photo document" my work. The charcoal canister and the line along the frame had already been removed when I got my truck.. As you know, the vapor line connects to the tank at the nipple on the upper passenger side corner. The line runs up the B pillar, makes a U turn and comes back down. It exits through the floor and a rubber hose joins it to the line running forward on the frame.. On mine, I installed a conventional metal fuel filter on the vapor line, mainly to keep insects and debris out. Also the vapors are released under the cab, not inside it,. I might also add, EEC systems don't require a vented gas cap.

Last edited by RustyPile; 09-08-2023 at 12:23 PM.
RustyPile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2023, 09:22 AM   #3
saddletramp

Morning Thanks for the response what about the little nipple sticking out of the drivers side of the tank does that go to the Nipple on the tank filler pipe with a rubber hose my floor panda were gone when I got this truck I've installed new pans where about on the floor do the line go through also does the vapor line and fuel ⛽️ line exit the floor at the same spot. Thanks Never Give Up
Old 09-08-2023, 09:55 AM   #4
RichardJ

https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...archid=7284362
Old 09-08-2023, 12:18 PM   #5
RustyPile

Quote:
Originally Posted by saddletramp View Post
Morning Thanks for the response what about the little nipple sticking out of the drivers side of the tank does that go to the Nipple on the tank filler pipe with a rubber hose.
Yes.. Connect using fuel line and clamps..

Quote:
my floor pans were gone when I got this truck. I've installed new pans. where about on the floor do the line go through. also does the vapor line and fuel ⛽️ line exit the floor at the same spot. Thanks Never Give Up
Looking at the installed tank with the seat removed -- There is a vertical indentation "groove" about 3" - 4" to the left of the sending unit opening. This groove extends top to bottom. This is the channel for the delivery and return lines.. These two lines pass through the same hole in the floor directly below the groove.. The hole is approximately 1" in diameter and the lines are protected by a snug fitting rubber grommet. The vapor line drops down out of the B pillar and travels down the edge and around the corner of the tank. Clips hold it attached to the lip of the tank. It passes through the floor in a different hole about 1" in front of the other hole.. A grommet also protects this line.. FYI, I used rubber plugs and drilled holes for the lines.

I think these lines are available pre-formed, I don't know for sure.. I have tools for forming/bending and flaring tubing so I rolled my own.
Old 09-08-2023, 12:20 PM   #6
RustyPile

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardJ View Post
Richard, I'm not sure why, but your link doesn't work for me....
Old 09-08-2023, 12:26 PM   #7
RustyPile

Quote:
Morning Thanks for the response what about the little nipple sticking out of the drivers side of the tank does that go to the Nipple on the tank filler pipe with a rubber hose my floor panda were gone when I got this truck I've installed new pans where about on the floor do the line go through also does the vapor line and fuel ⛽️ line exit the floor at the same spot. Thanks Never Give Up
'72 models were equipped with a 1/4" fuel return line coming off a 3rd line on the fuel pump.. Basically, it follows the delivery line back to the tank and attaches to smaller fitting on the sending unit.
Old 09-08-2023, 02:39 PM   #8
Orange Crate

Quote:
Afternoon Guys I've decided to keep the gas tank in my cab my truck has that EEC system when me and my son took this truck apart 5 years ago we didn't take any pictures of the in cab fuel system I've read some threads on this site can someone post me some pictures of this system or acouple of threads i can see what some of you guys did what line goes where and without the canister what I can use on the vapor line under the cab Thanks Guys

I had a few extra sitting here by the laptop ...........,,,,,,,,,,,(hint: Keep the extras for later)

Enjoy!
Old 09-08-2023, 03:36 PM   #9
RichardJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyPile View Post
Richard, I'm not sure why, but your link doesn't work for me....
Sorry, doesn't work for me either, Now.
I guess the link is time sensitive. I did a forum search for "EEC" and found a ton of threads on the topic. Looked at a few and most had drawings of the hoses and others pointed out differences for the different years.

If you are going to plug off these hoses and not use the cannister, you are going to have to use a vented gas cap.
Old 09-08-2023, 05:08 PM   #10
saddletramp

Thanks Guys for the EEC information I've learned alot Great site 👌