The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-04-2023, 11:27 AM   #1
killersdd

Body man/shop recommendation-East TN

Good morning. I am in need of a good body shop or body man to do some re-work on my 72 C10. The previous owner replaced the floor, rockers, and cab corners, but I'm not happy with the work, especially the rockers and cab corners. Do you guys have anyone you'd recommend that may be interested in doing this work correctly? I'm in Maryville, TN, if that helps with a recommendation. Thanks for your help!
killersdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2023, 12:32 PM   #2
68 C10 Driver

Re: Body man/shop recommendation-East TN

Have you thought about taking that on as a learning experience? I had no welding experience prior to my working on our truck. I am doing all my welding with a Harbor Freight welder and it works well. I looked on YouTube and saw where you can modify the welders to DC and they work even better. Don't sell yourself short, you might surprise yourself...and you will save big bucks in labor.
68 C10 Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2023, 12:41 PM   #3
killersdd

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 C10 Driver View Post
Have you thought about taking that on as a learning experience? I had no welding experience prior to my working on our truck. I am doing all my welding with a Harbor Freight welder and it works well. I looked on YouTube and saw where you can modify the welders to DC and they work even better. Don't sell yourself short, you might surprise yourself...and you will save big bucks in labor.
Yes, I have considered doing it myself, and I still may. I have no issues doing the mechanical work. I've done quite a bit of it on this truck and I've learned alot since I've started this project, but for the paint and body work, I'd really prefer to let someone who knows exactly what they're doing make the repairs.
Old 12-04-2023, 01:10 PM   #4
68 C10 Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by killersdd View Post
Yes, I have considered doing it myself, and I still may. I have no issues doing the mechanical work. I've done quite a bit of it on this truck and I've learned alot since I've started this project, but for the paint and body work, I'd really prefer to let someone who knows exactly what they're doing make the repairs.
YouTube is your friends. I watched PaulCK10 and Gibson63 on their projects and really learned a lot. I have painted a few vehicles over the past 40 years, most of that was when I was in the military and looking to make a few bucks or help out friends. I know you can do it..if I can do it you can! Painting is something that the paint shops in my opinion charge too much for. I bought one of those inflatable paint booths after watching a gazillion YouTube videos on them. I was $700 for a 10x20. I have painted things outside, which is ok for smaller things, but for a whole truck I needed a booth. Being in the south we have lots of bugs...and they love checking out fresh paint.
68 C10 Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2023, 01:24 PM   #5
killersdd

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 C10 Driver View Post
YouTube is your friends. I watched PaulCK10 and Gibson63 on their projects and really learned a lot. I have painted a few vehicles over the past 40 years, most of that was when I was in the military and looking to make a few bucks or help out friends. I know you can do it..if I can do it you can! Painting is something that the paint shops in my opinion charge too much for. I bought one of those inflatable paint booths after watching a gazillion YouTube videos on them. I was $700 for a 10x20. I have painted things outside, which is ok for smaller things, but for a whole truck I needed a booth. Being in the south we have lots of bugs...and they love checking out fresh paint.
Your confidence in my abilities is inspiring, good sir, lol... Paint is a good ways down the road for me. I mainly want to get my bodywork done, gaps all set, and a good coat of primer first and foremost. Its gonna be a while before I'm ready for paint.