The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-25-2023, 07:08 PM   #1
jaero

Custom Autosound Radio

I have a ‘67 C20 with a/c and a Custom Autosound Slidebar radio. The battery started to drain quickly and it turns out that the radio was the problem because moisture was getting onto the radio circuit board. The only thing that I can figure is the center a/c vent over radio. Has anyone made a shield between the vent and the radio to prevent this?
jaero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2023, 07:21 PM   #2
Casper42

Re: Custom Autosound Radio

this sounds very strange to me. Moisture from the A/C vent? Sounds like someone other than an (independent) expert is making this assumption to void a warrantee. Does the radio still work, or is the issue just the draining of the battery? If it were just a mechanic that came to this concusion, it seems hard to believe they came up with that diagnosis - as that seems like it would take a hella lota work to trace it back to the circuit board of the radio. Are there any other signs of moisture exposure to the radio or better yet other dash parts? If it's just the radio distributor that's making this claim, I would suggest challenging them, or filing a complaint with your state attorney general (Consumer Protection Unit), and/or Federal Trade Commission.
Casper42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2023, 08:45 PM   #3
jaero

The radio was sent to Custom Autosound, the manufacturer, and they determined that the c/b was bad. The radio has been out of warranty for several years, so they are not trying to get out of warranty work. In my opinion, they had no reason to make up a story about moisture. They could have just said the c/b was bad. The center a/c vent will have visible moisture on it during hot, humid days. Yes, the radio did work but drained the battery. The vents for the radio case are on top, just below the vent and ducting.
I’m just asking if anyone else has had this problem.
Old 12-26-2023, 08:48 PM   #4
jaero

BTW, while troubleshooting, I isolated the radio from the electrical system and the battery drain problem went away.
Old 12-27-2023, 12:18 AM   #5
HO455
Post Whore

Personally I don't think that would be the cause of the moisture. There's too many of those radios (Not to mention every other model radio) installed in AC trucks for it to be an unknown issue.

Where is the truck stored?
What has the dewpoint been on average?
How often is the truck driven?

My first thought would be condensation under the dash or liquid on the dash running down the speaker grille on to the radio.

Just my opinion from experience with my daily driver here in Oregon.
If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377
HO455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2023, 10:23 AM   #6
jaero

The truck is garage kept, never driven in the rain. Driven regularly. Nothing has been spilled on the dash. Seems odd to me, too.
Old 12-27-2023, 11:41 AM   #7
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

re you using the stock enter vent connection or the vintage air one (or is it factory AC). That could be a big difference in the design and sealing capabilities

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!
Palf70Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2023, 01:13 PM   #8
jaero

It has Vintage Air.
Old 12-27-2023, 05:47 PM   #9
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

Wit thevintage air, if you use the stick center vent piece. You put a plug and not a hose on one side. That uh i could see it allowing condensation yo drip out unlesss you rtv the plug in.

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!
Palf70Step is offline   Reply With Quote