The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-26-2024, 12:10 PM   #1
leegreen

Re: 1958 Apache 3800 Hydrovac

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58ApacheGuy View Post
Thanks. Have been considering this resolution. Problem is with frame mounted master cylinder, if I mount the vacuum booster combo, I'd either have to convert to automatic transmission, or convert manual clutch to hydraulic clutch, which I haven't even begun to research.
does this work with factory clutch setup?
https://www.holley.com/products/brak...ORN755DISCDRUM
leegreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2024, 12:27 PM   #2
dsraven

Forgive me if I'm wrong here, but the hydrovac boosters I remember had a master cyl that was foot pedal operated and that sent a signal to the hydrovac booster mounted somewhere else and it also has master cylinder on it that operates the brakes. Really, a hydrovac from a newer truck should be able to be serviced on your old truck. Just do a bore size comparo and go from there. Maybe also run a vacuum reservoir tank with one way valves so you don't run out of vacuum. Really though, if using the brakes, the throttle should be closed causing a higher vacuum. It depends on rpm then as to what vacuum you actually see.
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2024, 01:30 PM   #3
mr48chev

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsraven View Post
Forgive me if I'm wrong here, but the hydrovac boosters I remember had a master cyl that was foot pedal operated and that sent a signal to the hydrovac booster mounted somewhere else and it also has master cylinder on it that operates the brakes. Really, a hydrovac from a newer truck should be able to be serviced on your old truck. Just do a bore size comparo and go from there. Maybe also run a vacuum reservoir tank with one way valves so you don't run out of vacuum. Really though, if using the brakes, the throttle should be closed causing a higher vacuum. It depends on rpm then as to what vacuum you actually see.
You are correct in how they work and I'd say correct in that one off a later model would work and might be a better option.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote