The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Closed Thread

Old 11-18-2012, 12:25 AM   #26
oldman3

Re: Sue's 51 build

Thanks for the compliments about my build. I'm enjoying the truck and very happy with it. Nothing in the works right now, maybe something coming up next week. Will have to see if it pans out. Your doors look great...Jim
Old 11-19-2012, 01:17 AM   #27
hotrodtim

Well I got a little bit done on the build today. My brother Bruce from Rodlink Inc stopped by and finished welding up my fuel tank and coilover shocks crossmembers as well as the panhard bar brackets. This allowed me to cut the temporary brackets from between the differential and the frame and let the truck actually sit on the coilovers. The ride attitude is just what I was aiming for and the suspension works great. I'm really pleased with the way it turned out. Bruce also helped me massage the ill fitting passenger door into shape so it fits flush all the way around with really nice gaps. I also removed the windlace channel from inside the cab and got the passenger side drip rail removed. I just need to remove the other drip rail and I'll be ready to start marking out the cut lines for the chop. I'm really getting back into working on this truck, it's been too long without any real progress.
Attached Images

Old 11-19-2012, 01:19 PM   #28
Chevette

Very nice work. Lookin' good.

Question: Know how to sell your truck for $50,000?
Answer: Spend $100,000 building it.
Old 11-20-2012, 07:08 PM   #29
_Ogre

nice looking build

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
Old 11-24-2012, 12:36 AM   #30
hotrodtim

Finally started the chop today, taking two and a half inches out of it. It should be a fairly easy chop compared to the 53 Ford I chopped about thirteen years ago where I took about an inch more out of the front pillar than the back to make the roof line straight. Once I get the doors frames tacked in place I'll quarter the top and lower it to meet the doors then fill the gaps. Piece of cake
Attached Images

Old 11-24-2012, 02:03 AM   #31
cleanshaven84

Looking good. I'm thinking of chopping mine as well. Can't wait to see how yours turns out.

Currently working on S-10 chassis swap.

Philippians 4:13 - "I can do all things through him who strengthens me."
Old 11-24-2012, 10:54 AM   #32
oldman3

Looks good, can't wait to see top done....Jim
Old 11-24-2012, 12:40 PM   #33
hotrodtim

Thanks guys. The September, 2012 Classic Trucks magazine features a beautiful silver 51 belonging to Matt Majeski in Florida. I'm after the same basic look for mine. If mine turns out half as nice as his I'll be pleased.
Old 11-24-2012, 12:43 PM   #34
69CST-V

Nice fabrication skills. Looking forward to seeing this one progress. Keep up the good work.

Company Trucks
Old 11-25-2012, 12:38 AM   #35
hotrodtim

Made some good progress today. I tacked the driver's door frame in place and it turned out great. It looked so good that it made the passenger side look bad in comparison. The passenger side sagged a little in the middle, bottom left pic, so I cut it apart and corrected the sag. Now they are both the same and it won't bug me every time I look at it.
Attached Images

Old 11-25-2012, 01:05 AM   #36
hotrodtim

I then began the process of cutting the top off. I used an angle grinder with a cut-off wheel for most of the process. It's fast and easy and doesn't shake the truck apart like a sawzall does. I used a cherry picker to lift the top off once it was cut loose, and then cut the two and a half inches off the cab. I'm going to have the top sandblasted before I start the process of putting it back on. I'll probably work on filling some of the holes in the cab while waiting to get the top back, there doesn't seem to be a shortage of them on this truck
Attached Images

Old 11-25-2012, 01:33 AM   #37
oldman3

Nice job, can't wait for the update...Jim
Old 11-27-2012, 09:47 PM   #38
Atommik

Everything looks great so far!! I'll be watching your progress!!

I've been doing bodywork for 25 years (mostly collision repair) and I've never chopped a top. I've just got to do it someday!! My current project is too far along now...Maybe the next one.
Old 11-27-2012, 09:54 PM   #39
Wheelie

Very cool, the chop looks fun.
Old 11-29-2012, 12:05 AM   #40
hotrodtim

This is what I work on when I'm not working on my truck. I believe I repainted it five times this last year. Race bikes tend to get a bit scratched up when they slide, or tumble, off the track and into the gravel. If only I could rebuild a classic truck as fast as I can rebuild this bike
Attached Images

Old 12-01-2012, 09:48 PM   #41
hotrodtim

I got my top back from being sandblasted yesterday and got the front upper brace removed this afternoon. (New brace is on the way from Chevy's of the 40's) The upper windshield frame is not good. I was hoping to be able to repair it but am not sure now. I'm looking for a donor cab with good metal there but there aren't too many around these days for sale. If I can't find one I may have to bite the bullet and buy a roof skin, probably $400+ dollars by the time I pay shipping. I also patched the gas tank filler hole in the cab but the pictures turned out bad and everyone knows what that looks like anyway.
Attached Images

Old 12-05-2012, 11:49 PM   #42
hotrodtim

Bad news. The roof panel brace I ordered from Chevy's of the 40's is out of stock and they have no idea when one may be available. Classic Industries sells them but their website says they are out of stock as well. I've been on-line looking but haven't found anywhere else that sells them. Does anyone have any ideas where I might look for one? I completely destroyed the rusted out one I took out and really don't want to have to mess with a used one.
Old 12-06-2012, 12:11 AM   #43
Kabwe
Certified Car Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrodtim View Post
Bad news. The roof panel brace I ordered from Chevy's of the 40's is out of stock and they have no idea when one may be available. Classic Industries sells them but their website says they are out of stock as well. I've been on-line looking but haven't found anywhere else that sells them. Does anyone have any ideas where I might look for one? I completely destroyed the rusted out one I took out and really don't want to have to mess with a used one.
I did an internet search for you and came up with these. The only one of these guys that I have bought parts from is Ecklerstrucks though.

http://www.ecklerstrucks.com/chevy-t...1947-1953.html

http://www.usa1industries.com/1947-5...nel-brace.html

http://restorationpartssource.com/st...duct97855.html

http://www.championclassicauto.com/4...t-p-14093.html

I hope this helps.

Last edited by Kabwe; 12-06-2012 at 12:19 AM.
Old 12-06-2012, 12:41 AM   #44
hotrodtim

Thanks, there are a few there I haven't tried yet.
Old 12-06-2012, 12:47 AM   #45
hotrodtim

Thanks, there are a few there I haven't tried yet.
Old 12-06-2012, 01:12 AM   #46
hotrodtim

Champion Classic Auto actually answers the phone this late and told me they are waiting for a new shipment of these from somewhere overseas but just don't know when they will be here. He will check tomorrow and let me know. Sounds like the old style has been discontinued and they new style is yet to arrive. They are the same but the new ones have a weld-through primer on them so there will be a little less prep work during install. At least now I know they are still being made and will get one eventually. Thanks again for the help!
Old 12-06-2012, 09:19 AM   #47
Kabwe
Certified Car Nut

hotrodtim,

I also saw it on Amazon.com Once again good luck I hope it works out for you.
Amazon.com: 1947-54 Chevy Truck Roof Panel Brace,... Amazon.com: 1947-54 Chevy Truck Roof Panel Brace,...
Old 12-06-2012, 08:24 PM   #48
hotrodtim

I got one ordered today although it won't likely be here for two weeks. Seems that most everyone is out and gets them from the same supplier. I guess I'll work on something else for a while, maybe paint the race bike again
Old 12-13-2012, 01:16 AM   #49
hotrodtim

Good news! I just got off the phone with a retired gentleman in Athol, Idaho, less than 50 miles from my house, who has a significant collection of 47 to 53 Chevy pickups and parts for sale. I'd heard rumors about him but was never able to find him until today. He said he has ten or twelve roofs that he has already removed from the cabs that he sells for $125 each. I'm going to look at them Friday morning and with any luck he will have one I can make work. Wish me luck.
Old 12-15-2012, 01:46 AM   #50
donthekawguy

Hey Tim I just found this thread. I live in Rathdrum and was going to suggest Gary for the parts you need. I got my 66 shorty from him a few months ago and plan on buying at least one truck from him in the spring. He has quite the selection of trucks and parts.