The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-23-2004, 07:18 PM   #26
superfly68

i don't think you should ever sell it but if you do, talk to me about printing you a huge canvas print of it to make it immortal!
then when you're children ask about the big painting of the truck you can sit down and explain how you built that truck yourself.
Old 04-23-2004, 07:38 PM   #27
weasel29gm
SLOW BUT SURE,BUT CLOSER

Joe, I can't add to what the rest has said. But to be 22 and have put that much in it theres no way or nobody would make me sell. Except in a extreame case. You have a nice ride maybe you could get a smaller ride and let it sit awhile. As I always say '' easy to sell hard to replace'' Good luck
69 C-10, OWNED 35YRS... 350 over 30, 350 Turbo, 3:73 Posi P/S, P/B Black with red and black int. ''LOVE THESE OLD ''TRUCKS.......
weasel29gm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2004, 07:51 PM   #28
sixty8chev
The Sauz

i just gotta agree with everyone else, I had a nova that i spent every last penny i made in high school on, and two weeks after the new engine got dropped in and the paint dried, it was gone (by no fault of my own), the day after i got out of the hospital i picked up my truck, I drove it home with my left foot cause my right was still in a cast. My family thought i was friggin nuts and i didn't hear the end of it until i eventually moved out.
Now its 7 years later and my dad has a 69 that we work on together and him and my mom go cruisin in friday nights and i'm helpin my brother and his wife restore their 79 shorty, they all came around eventually.
Maybe your family won't quite do the complete turnaround like mine but they will learn to accept you. No matter what don't let anybody tell you that its wrong to love your truck that much
01 Sierra - Daily Driver (for now)
sixty8chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2004, 08:36 PM   #29
boraxman
Keepin an eye out

I want it.
ZIP 91351
boraxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2004, 09:04 PM   #30
dwaite72lnghrn

I can see you are more strested with the people around you than your ride. If you were to get rid of it then what? Drop the money you got from that into something else and start over?
I agonized over redoing mine, should I buy new or redo what I had. Looking at the price of new and how long they would last I decided in the long run older would last longer. My truck came from my father and I had alot of memories when he had it now I have had it for 22 years and will keep it forever. My son has his eyes on it so when I am dead or unable to drive he can have it.
Don't burn the rubber off it and give mom or others a reason to think you will kill yourself in it, take the ball and chain (GF) with you places and spend time with her and the truck. At that point you have accommodated everyone and if they keep it up.....you tried. Cut your losses, It's time to grow up and run your life as you see fit and you sound like you are almost there. You can pick yor nose you can pick your seat but you can't pick your family, good luck.
71 GMC k20 350/sm465
2009 Chevy hd3500 6.6 Victory Red crew cab dually
Dave & Jeanne
dwaite72lnghrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2004, 09:17 PM   #31
TsgtE662
2A674 Tank Rat

Oh, just wear clothes that match your truck and get the Buddy Holly glasses.
Also, put remote starter on it without anyone knowing you did.

And if your truck has a name, then tell everyone who says bad things about the truck or gives you s**t about it, that "she" gets angry when they talk that way. And they had better stop.

Then push the remote start button with it in your pocket. When the truck starts, tell them, See I told you, now she wants to leave.

LOL

'92 GMC Sierra, Sportside, 2wd, 350, Black
'92 Chevy Silverado Extended Cab 4 x 4, Blue
USAFR = 2A674 = Aircraft Fuel Systems Maintenance
i.e. Tank Rat
TsgtE662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2004, 10:54 PM   #32
ts71281

LOL I like the idea of the remote starter kit! But then they might commit me to the state hospital then I think you're all right, I should stand up for myself and regardless, keep the truck. Old trucks is truly my passion, and if I give that up, I'll have nothing. Some may argue that (the girlfriend or parents) but it's what makes me feel good. Even if I don't drive it, opening the garage door and seeing that sleek, glossy black paintjob always puts a smile on my face. I think the key here is to just drive it less, everyone will benefit. My truck will stay nicer looking, longer from less road miles and not driving it all the time will make people think I don't spend a whole lot of time with it. I did put the 1300 miles on the thing in less than a month! I guess maybe that's a sign I drive it a lot I should still care about the people around me, but also watch out for myself as well. And when I do work on it, make sure no one else is around I feel better after talking to you guys. I really don't want to part with it and I don't think I will. It's irreplaceable. Thanks for your support.

May the road roll smooth for you,

Joe
ts71281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2004, 10:55 PM   #33
ts71281

BTW, my trucks name is Sgt. Slaughter. It used to be medium olive in color so I named him after the old WWF wrestler. Never backs down from a battle

Joe
Old 04-23-2004, 11:07 PM   #34
71swb4x4

Don't sell it!
Old 04-23-2004, 11:13 PM   #35
CG
BlahBlahBlah

i think ive had mine for 10 years or so...we built it from a pile of parts starting from a bare frame...thats how my sons learned. now it belongs to my youngest son (21) he's not allowed to sell it if he needs cash and has to move it ill give him whatever he has into it and take it back. course now im searching for a new project truck...67 or 68 long fleet (2 wheel and auto this time) keep it if you can, you wont regret it
CG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2004, 12:57 AM   #36
RON WOODGEARD
Resident Young Old Dude !

Quote:
Originally posted by ts71281
I'm just sick and tired of it all though, ya know? I think my truck would be happier in a home that appreciated it more than my home. The countless hours spent working on it, parts searching, late nights, good trips to the dairy queen, all those memories mean a whole lot to me and everytime I look at a different part on that truck, I can remember where I was when i got it or the day I put it on. Everything on it is very sentimental to me. But they just don't understand and in their eyes makes me an idiot for loving my truck. I've got nothing else for a hobbie. I'm a good guy, I don't drink, smoke, do drugs, or anything that a parent would frown upon their child doing. I just want this one thing and no one's happy. It's starting to wear on me and quite frankly they're making the hobby un-enjoyable. I have to think about it for a bit but if I do decide to sell, I'll make it available to a board member first before any local papers. Someone in here will understand and enjoy my baby more than your average guy. Besides if I sell it, I never want to see it again. It'd be too hard for me to see someone else driving my baby around.

Joe

Joe,

I'm 51, No kid here You type a real good story, If you are a good kid like you type you are , And please don't think I'm doubting it, I don't know you... You just need to tell some people to Screw off,,,,,
I have to remind my wife of 35 years, That I don't smoke, Don't drink, Don't do Drugs, and Don't hang in the bars.. I'm either with my truck, Or my Radio Control Habit.. Which I do side jobs to afford Both,, In the mean time she has her Horses, A new $36,000 Ford F-350 to pull the Three Horse $16,000 Horse trailer with.. And those Payments come out of mine and her CHECKS.....

If this Truck is your only bad vice, you need to tell some people to wake the F*** up and leave you alone.
I have a 32 year old daughter that's as good as gold, she also likes Hot Rods, I have a 34 year old that is a Pain in the *** and has no direction whatsoever in her life... If what you do in your life is Legal, Moral, and ethical, ( your not having fun !!!) you're a hell of a good guy..... Keep the truck Dude !!!!We all can get into wrecks, we all can Die in one, Many of us thrive on H.P. So you are not alone my young friend. Stand up for yourself and Put your foot down...
My Toys, have helped keep my sanity.. I'll NEVER give them up..
RON WOODGEARD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2004, 02:46 AM   #37
glock35ipsc
Next project: 1970 K10

Quote:
Originally posted by ts71281
For all you guys out there that've had your trucks a long time, have any of you owned your trucks more than 10 years?? Just curious.

Joe

My Dad bought this 70 1/2 ton 4x4 in 73 from the original owner. It is now mine. I have absolutely NO plans to sell it, but rather start a frame off resto on her soon. Her nickname is Goldie, and everyone in the family knows who you are talking about! I plan on passing it on to my son when he is old enough not to tear it up!

Two words: KEEP IT!!!!!!

1970 Chevy K10 LWB "Goldie" 350/TH350 next project!!
1981 Chevy C10 LWB 355/TH350 - My son's truck

LS SWAP FORUM! Tons of LS swap info here!
PLEASE CLICK HERE TO SUPPORT THE GREATEST BOARD ON THE NET!
CLICK HERE FOR THE FAQ INDEX by KRUE
glock35ipsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2004, 03:15 AM   #38
71-longbed
Its Magically Delicious

Keep it man ... it sounds like you've put some great time and effort in that sweet truck .... be proud ..... i feel that most of the negative comments you are getting stem from people that are simply jealous of what you have ...... 5 years is a long time ..... don't sell it now that you've come all this way ...

Unless your looking for funds for another project ... i could understand that point of view .... if that isn't the case ...DEFINATELY KEEP IT

Of all my favorite things to do, The utmost is to have a brew.
My love grows for my foamy friend, with each thirst-quenching elbow bend.
Beer so frosty, smooth, and cold it's paradise pure liquid gold.
Yes beer means many things to me that's all for now cus I gotta pee.
71-longbed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2004, 03:17 AM   #39
71-longbed
Its Magically Delicious

oh by the way ..can we see some other picture of it ..... your truck makes a great desktop

Of all my favorite things to do, The utmost is to have a brew.
My love grows for my foamy friend, with each thirst-quenching elbow bend.
Beer so frosty, smooth, and cold it's paradise pure liquid gold.
Yes beer means many things to me that's all for now cus I gotta pee.
71-longbed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2004, 05:23 AM   #40
69 Short Fleet

Keep it, Keep it, and then Keep it some more!!! I've been building my truck for approx. 8 years and an old KZ 1000 showbike (motorcycle) for 18 years and their both still not done! I think the people close to you should understand the challenges involved in building a car, truck, bike or ... and all the positives that go with it. It takes perseverance, determination, frustration, talent, creativitey, pride, money, ect. to pull off a restoration. I just don't get it, sounds like a lack of communication or understanding on the part of the people close to you. Sweet truck by the way, regards, Doug
69 Short Fleet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2004, 05:01 PM   #41
67shortie
Green club

Oh, and in case if nobody said it yet, do yourself a favor and get some classic car insurance on that thing with a 'declared value' policy so if you get hit your truck will not get hit and all of your hard work 'go down the drain' as your parents mentioned.

This way, if it does get hit, you have the money to get another one and build it. If you already have a policy like that, good thinking.

Son you are going to drive me to drinkin if you don't stop drivin that hot rod lincoln
67shortie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2004, 01:47 AM   #42
ts71281

Thanks for all the words of encouragement guys, I really appreciate it. I had a talk with the girlfriend today and basically told her to lighten up. She cant take it away and Im not going to sell it. I like the suggestions mentioned earlier about just not talking about it all the time or try to involve the people around me in the hobby rather than just going off by myself to work on it or go for a cruise alone (although sometimes its more fun). I also really appreciate all the nice comments as well, if you guys want more pics I can certainly snap some more. I dont have a digital camera at all but give me a few days and Ill clean him up, snap some pics, and get them developed. The local proex can burn them on a CD for me then.

Joe
Old 04-25-2004, 10:19 AM   #43
vtblazer

Thumbs up KEEP IT

I guess I'm lucky...my family/wife/kids all support and look forward to when it's done and they can finally have a ride!
Keep your truck...it's awesome and full of YOU/YOURSELF (blood, sweat and tears) Keep it, drive it, love it to the end!
vtblazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2004, 03:13 PM   #44
8door
Not too old to learn

TAKE ALL THE ADVICE YOU GOT HERE FROM THIS BOARD THESE GUYS KNOW.
Remember a couple of things that apply to to the rest of your life, and I mean that strongly IT IS YOUR LIFE!!!!!!
Others will give you opinions that they want, and they think it's also good for you.
Do this. Take that beatifull truck out on your favorite road, turn the radio off ,roll down the windows and let it talk to you.You will know what do do.
1. Be true to your self.
2. Don't hurt anyone.
Enjoy........................
Old 04-25-2004, 03:20 PM   #45
8door
Not too old to learn

TAKE ALL THE ADVICE YOU GOT HERE FROM THIS BOARD THESE GUYS KNOW.
Remember a couple of things that apply to to the rest of your life, and I mean that strongly IT IS YOUR LIFE!!!!!!
Others will give you opinions that they want, and they think it's also good for you.
Do this. Take that beatifull truck out on your favorite road, turn the radio off ,roll down the windows and let it talk to you.You will know what do do.
1. Be true to your self.
2. Don't hurt anyone.
Enjoy........................