The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-23-2004, 12:30 PM   #1
ts71281

Unhappy What's my 70 SWB worth?

Hey gang,

I'm wondering if you guys might be able to help me out and give me a good guesstimate as to what my truck is worth. I just finished the frame off-resto last fall and everything on it is new. Only has 1300 miles on the clock since I redid it. It's got a 468 Big Block pushing 500 HP, 4 speed muncie M-20, 2wd, with 3.73 posi. Man steering, man drum brakes, no a/c. AM radio and full guages with camaro tach. Truck has all original body panels except for the rockers had to be replaced but with GM NOS sheetmetal. Anything else I'm missing you need to know?
ts71281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2004, 12:35 PM   #2
Deuce

WOW!!! Nice truck.

Its hard to say what something like this is worth. I have a Mustang that I'm into for about $28,000 and I'm trying to sell for $13 and I'm getting nothing but lowballers.

Your truck is worth a pretty penny though!! Good luck with the sale if you decide to sell it.

Sometimes it's easier to do things the hard way.

Fesler Built 1968 Chevy C10....Must resist the urge to mess with it!!
Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2004, 12:43 PM   #3
1970 CST Short Wide
Senior Moment

Out here in Ca, if its as nice as you say, I've seen them go for $20,000. My truck is nice but not a frame off and I was offered $12,000.

Very Nice, Why you selling?
2019 GMC Diesil Dually. Youngest Son
2017 Toyota SUV Daughters car
2018 Traverse , Wife’s Ride
Pittsburg Ca
1970 CST Short Wide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2004, 12:49 PM   #4
ts71281

I'm sick of my family giving me grief over my truck. I'm 22 and have spent the last 5 years restoring it. My dad gave me the truck when I was 16 and ever since I've fallen madly in love with it. It's sad when you can't have a hobby and people don't like your truck. People say I'm going to lose my life in it, it's too fast, or someone's going to crash into me and then it'll be worth nothing. Everywhere I turn it's all negative comments. Do any of you guys have this problem? My girlfriend of 7 years even says it's getting inbetween us. I don't see it, but they think so. My brother and I like to talk cars now and then and it seems that when we do, others get disgusted and tell us to knock it off. I finally got this thing to the point where I'm happy with it and now I can't even enjoy it with everyone's voice going through my head everytime I see it.

Joe
Old 04-23-2004, 12:53 PM   #5
ts71281

It's got just a few more things that need to be done with it (and I'm catching hell for that). As you can see I've stripped and removed all the paint from both upper and lower body moulding. It needs to have some nice black pinstripe tape laid inside the grooves, also the hood emblem isn't on yet (But I have a NOS one in the bag) and I need some of the black lettering stickers for the grille. Grille is the original grille and has about 3 "bb sized" dings in it only and the plastic grille is perfect and in tact. It's the correct one for 1970. Other than that, I need to get some interior pics for you guys, I'll have to run to the store and get some film.

Joe
Old 04-23-2004, 12:59 PM   #6
sdmahr

Well, at 22 you are figuring out what will continue with you the rest of your life !

-You'll shoot your eye out !
-You spend too much time with everything but me
-Why don't you come out of the shop and be with your FAMILY
-You spent HOW MUCH !! ?? !! ??
-What is THIS on the VISA BILL ! ? ! ? ! ?
-Its not SAFE!
-Where are your priorities?
-Look what the UPS man brought today....NOW WHAT!?
-I bet the mileage is terrible !

This list could go on forever. Dude, I was born ADDICTED to anything that burns fuel ! ! YOU have to make a choice: 1. Enjoy your hobby and to heck with what the others think 2. Enjoy your hobby and try to satisfy everyone, (yeah right) 3. Do what everyone else WANTS you to do, (they'll never be happy anyway)

Welcome....its a tough world for us nuts !

sdmahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2004, 01:02 PM   #7
67shortie
Green club

First, i would not sell. Second is the girlfriends/wives will almost always give grief over you spending time with something else other than them (exceptions noted ahead of time, like my wife )third, did you ever realize they all may be a tad jealous that you did all of this yourself? I get that sometimes too.

My dad use to get on my back because I was 'putting my life and too much time into my Camaro' line, but did that hurt me in any way? I will never know, but I don't seem to be hurting in any way from it today. I have a nice hobby, keeps me sane sometimes, and people love the results of all of the hard work put into these projects and truthfully so do I.

I don't know you at all, but you sound like me in a way when I was your age (18 years older) so hang in there, this will pass in time.

BUT, if you do think you may have a problem evaluate and keep track of every moment you do spend planning/working/talking about your ride, you might be surprised on how much it actually is. Not trying to play the devils advocate here, but if everyone is on your back about it maybe it is time you backed off a little but and held other interests (like with the girlfriend)

but if you do love the truck, you will regret it one day sooner or later for your desisions you make today.

Good luck man.

Son you are going to drive me to drinkin if you don't stop drivin that hot rod lincoln
67shortie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2004, 01:09 PM   #8
ts71281

I'm just sick and tired of it all though, ya know? I think my truck would be happier in a home that appreciated it more than my home. The countless hours spent working on it, parts searching, late nights, good trips to the dairy queen, all those memories mean a whole lot to me and everytime I look at a different part on that truck, I can remember where I was when i got it or the day I put it on. Everything on it is very sentimental to me. But they just don't understand and in their eyes makes me an idiot for loving my truck. I've got nothing else for a hobbie. I'm a good guy, I don't drink, smoke, do drugs, or anything that a parent would frown upon their child doing. I just want this one thing and no one's happy. It's starting to wear on me and quite frankly they're making the hobby un-enjoyable. I have to think about it for a bit but if I do decide to sell, I'll make it available to a board member first before any local papers. Someone in here will understand and enjoy my baby more than your average guy. Besides if I sell it, I never want to see it again. It'd be too hard for me to see someone else driving my baby around.

Joe
Old 04-23-2004, 01:11 PM   #9
TsgtE662
2A674 Tank Rat

I would keep the truck. If you sell it then you'll forever kick yourself and always have hard feelings towards everybody who was against you having it. If it was me everytime any of them started in with the negative comments, I would walk away from them without a word. The don't like it? So what. It isn't theres to like. Its yours. Looks like an awesome truck! I would not sell it for anyone or any reason. You'll never please any of them.
Sounds to me like they will pick apart everything no matter what.
Who do they call when they need help with there cars?
Probably you I bet.

'92 GMC Sierra, Sportside, 2wd, 350, Black
'92 Chevy Silverado Extended Cab 4 x 4, Blue
USAFR = 2A674 = Aircraft Fuel Systems Maintenance
i.e. Tank Rat
TsgtE662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2004, 01:34 PM   #10
lukecp
Formerly yellow72custom

I agree, keep the truck. Its your truck, not everyone else's. My family gives me alot of crap for trying to fix up my '72, but i take it anyway. They just don't understand, lol. But then again i'm 19 and won't be married for quite some time.

Price wise, judging by the looks i would say an easy $10-$15 thousand.
lukecp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2004, 01:49 PM   #11
ts71281

This is starting to sound like the movie Christine isn't it? Where no one likes Christine but Arnie ???
Old 04-23-2004, 02:16 PM   #12
gmc-rob

Women, they will never be satisifed unless they have ALL of your free time. When ever they have time to spend with you they expect you to be there. It does not matter what you are doing, sell the truck and take up riding motorcyles....same thing, pick any hobby and they will find a problem with it becaue they are jelous of the time it takes away from them. It took me 20 years to figure that out.

SO.......my advice is DO NOT SELL YOUR TRUCK unless you want to sell it.
gmc-rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2004, 02:41 PM   #13
ts71281

You know what? I think I am going to keep it. You guys are right, women are never satisfied. They like to ***** if their ice cream is cold. I always thought It'd be nice to share with my kids someday (if I choose to have some) and maybe let them take it around the block once or once, yeah just once Maybe it's time the girlfriend gets sold and I get a replacement Glad she doesn't know the URL to this site

Joe
Old 04-23-2004, 02:44 PM   #14
Classic Heartbeat
Project Junkie! Fishing Poor!!

If you love your truck you will be sorry if you sell it. You will then at some point blame your girlfriend, and family for making you sell it. Sure they may not be twisting your arm about it, but what they are doing is worse. You could be doing lots worse things with your spare time and cash.

This will probably not be received well, but this has more to do than a truck. These are control issues!!! Do you want someone to control you for the rest of your life!!!! If I had a girlfriend that wasn't understanding about what makes me happy, I WOULD FLAT OUT KICK HER TO THE CURB!!!! That situation will not get any better!! I see it all the time... I see it happen to my sons and their girlfriends and I see it with my customers. If you give in here, what is the next thing they want to control??? I don't like the cloths you wear!! I don't like your freinds!! I don't like you visiting your brother!!!! Bla, bla, bla, bla!!! There are plenty of girls out there that would love the fact that you have such a sweet truck to ride around in.... Your family will let up when they see that you are not changing your mind, and will love you no matter what!! I say keep your truck!! Keep your testicals, and keep your integrity!!! You will be sorry if you dont!! OK off my soap box!! WES www.ClassicHeartbeat.com
Call us Toll Free (888) 338-2502
Like Us on Facebook
No appointment necessary.
72 BB Chevy Custom Deluxe / Custom Camper
67 I-6 (Soon to be 5.7 LS1) Panel
68 BB Chevy Short Bed
72 6.0 LQ9 Short Bed Chevy 4X4
Olympia's fastest growing truck parts supplier.
Olympia's home for Wayward Chevys
Classic Heartbeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2004, 02:49 PM   #15
1969 GMC

forget everyone else...you got the truck because you like it. I'm 20 and yeah, it can be tough. at times it seems everyone hates it, my mom and sister wont touch it, my dad (who's been a mechanic for 30+ yrs) wont always work on it with me, my gf just wants to hang out w/ me, doesnt wanna get dirty. like you, the truck is pretty much my only hobby. I wouldnt give it up for the world, I love it and i've only had it a year.
1969 GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2004, 02:59 PM   #16
ratrod67

Why would they want to take away something that you love? Sounds like they have the problem to me. Keep your truck and enjoy it. Never try and live your life to make others happy. You'll only end up miserable.
ratrod67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2004, 03:22 PM   #17
ts71281

I agree with you guys, I just don't like feeling miserable. I should take a stand for myself and tell them how I feel. I don't ask for much, I'm not a person that needs material things. The girlfriend is more interested in getting a house so I think she's wanting me to sell it so I can contribute to the down payment as well. I have a good paying job now and I'll be able to pocket some dough fast. All I know is if I were to sell it, there would never be another one like it. It's hard to find fleet-shorties with a big block and 4speed. If it goes then it's gone for good. Through everything I think if I keep it, and even not drive it just to satisfy everyone (they keep calling it the iron casket) it'll be nice to have around in 20 more years. The truck is already 35 years old. Should live to be a lot older too. For all you guys out there that've had your trucks a long time, have any of you owned your trucks more than 10 years?? Just curious.

Joe
Old 04-23-2004, 03:25 PM   #18
Slammed67
Progress = 0%

Keep it unless your purpose in life is to make everybody else happy. Sounds like the people that are being negative about your hobby aren't happy with their own lives and won't be "happy" until you are as miserable as they are. You obviously have a passion for your hobby (as I do) and if your girlfriend won't support you, then maybe you need to put her on eBay My current girlfriend doesn't know the first thing about cars/trucks, but she thinks it's awesome that I have hobby.

Keep the truck, enjoy it, and distance yourself from NEGATIVE PEOPLE. Heck, you should buy another project car/truck just to piss everyone off!

Oh, and if you keep it, you should put disc brakes on the front to help slow that beast down. I would anyway.

Awesome truck!

Jason
Old 04-23-2004, 03:38 PM   #19
TsgtE662
2A674 Tank Rat

"Keep the truck, enjoy it, and distance yourself from NEGATIVE PEOPLE. Heck, you should buy another project car/truck just to piss everyone off!"

There ya go! Buy a parts only truck but let everyone beleive your serious about restoring it.

'92 GMC Sierra, Sportside, 2wd, 350, Black
'92 Chevy Silverado Extended Cab 4 x 4, Blue
USAFR = 2A674 = Aircraft Fuel Systems Maintenance
i.e. Tank Rat
TsgtE662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2004, 03:40 PM   #20
Classic Heartbeat
Project Junkie! Fishing Poor!!

I have had My 72 K-5 Blazer that is pictured on my home pare for almost 15 years!! It to has big block in it!! I made it perfectly clear to everyone that I know, that they will burry me in it!! I don't even drive it much any more.. I have too many others, but my Blazer is my fishing buddy!! We have been a long ways together, and I have had it longer than I have had my wife. My wife understands and would probably argu with me if I were to try to sell it. WES www.ClassicHeartbeat.com
Call us Toll Free (888) 338-2502
Like Us on Facebook
No appointment necessary.
72 BB Chevy Custom Deluxe / Custom Camper
67 I-6 (Soon to be 5.7 LS1) Panel
68 BB Chevy Short Bed
72 6.0 LQ9 Short Bed Chevy 4X4
Olympia's fastest growing truck parts supplier.
Olympia's home for Wayward Chevys
Classic Heartbeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2004, 03:48 PM   #21
68 Suburban

Its all about "control"
Old 04-23-2004, 03:57 PM   #22
1970 CST Short Wide
Senior Moment

My 1st wife didn't like my truck, she's not here anymore. I still have my truck. What could be simpler

2019 GMC Diesil Dually. Youngest Son
2017 Toyota SUV Daughters car
2018 Traverse , Wife’s Ride
Pittsburg Ca
1970 CST Short Wide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2004, 04:58 PM   #23
FrankHoy

You've got a nice truck and something that you built/restored yourself. KEEP IT & to hell with the others. I have sold several cars and trucks, due to girlfriends and wife's complaints. All of the cars are gone and now so is the Ex. I had a 72 Longhorn, sold while going thru a divorce, that I have been trying to replace and know I never will. It had every conceivable factory option and no rust. In my mind, these are our passion and much harder to replace than the next woman.
00 Blazer
FrankHoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2004, 05:27 PM   #24
Faster_than_you

honestly sounds like people around you are jealous. Your girl should realize that your truck is your hobby, it is you. Time will show her that is true. My wife some how feaked me out by saying that it was alright that I was doing all this stuff with my truck that my father and I had started 7 years ago. now he is passed, but the truck is still around, and I continue to work on it. It took my wife a month to be on deployment, and me to tell her it was over, due to the fact that she wasnt liking my decisions on my truck. She sent me an email the next morning saying she was sorry, and she should have realized that it was something that was fun for me to do. cars, trucks, power is what I love, and nothing in the world will ever stop me from loving that.
Your truck sounds like a beast and a half, we all here on the boards, like you said, take a stand break a few noses, and make people realize that disrespecting your truck is like them kicking you in the cahone's. I also had to do this one time, some one told me that I was wasting my time on my truck, I made dent in there car with there face, left them bleeding like a sumabeatch and walked away. no one ever seemed to want to disrespect my truck since.
basically our trucks here is who we are. I am sure we all have little names we call our trucks, Mine is Ms. Molly, My "first crush" her name was molly, she had red hair, intimidating beautifull, and since my 71 is a dark toredore red with a bb in her, I figured the name fit right.
We could also I dont believe could ever put a sticker price on our trucks, there is to much history, and work behind them.
my fathers dieing request to me actually was funny enough, was to never sell my truck. Never plan to either.
Old 04-23-2004, 06:14 PM   #25
dubie

Just do whatever makes you happy bud. I am fortunate enough that my family (especially my wife) are into old cars and trucks. I don't drink and I don't smoke, so this is my 1 vice. Everyone has to have a hobby and hobbies take time and money.

My 56 Chevy shop truck build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=562795
dubie is offline   Reply With Quote