The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-21-2009, 09:35 PM   #26
westofb
I really hate wet sanding!

Re: Stupid Question about burnouts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigguy69 View Post
you could buy a line loc to lock the front brakes and it will do better burnouts
or just crimp the rear brake line off, leaving front brakes only, cheap and easy, only tool need is a pair of vice grips...lol.

With the peg leg rear, do not think you really need to apply brakes at all to get the rear tire (1) to spin.
westofb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 12:26 AM   #27
special-K
Special Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by texanidiot25 View Post
Honestly, once you brake the tire(s) loose, there is less load on the drive train then there is when your accelerating.

When the tires loose traction, there is a ton less friction between the road and tire, hense why skidding and spinning tires is not the fastest way to stop and start. Once you initiate the burn out, you have less load on the drivetrain than you would accelerating with full traction. Also why car's tend to break parts on a launch, not the burn out.

This is why you can hit third gear at say, 25mph instead of 70mph, or what have you. With the lack of traction, thus less resistance to the drivetrain, everything can spin faster, easier, and thus, burn rubber.

The most stressful part is breaking traction, but if you get good, this takes nothing.

YouTube - CST10 Burnouts

The Fastest thing to wear is tires. The next is brakes. Watch your RPMs and don't get too excited, letting them climb too high.

And I loved the posi burnouts my truck used to pull when I 1st started driving it. Nothing like holding a 4500 lbs truck at a 20 degree angle for 100 feet.... Sadly I can't ever get it to do a posi one much That, and don't care to tear up the new tires much.
The problem is not once the wheels are spinning,obvious and agreed.The problem is before that when the motor/trans is trying to turn what you are holding back.Envision twisting when one end wants to go one speed and the other end is resisting.That is stress.That is where it is like accelerating...up a steep hill with a load of bricks.
The other stress is in the form of shock when dumping the clutch and all at once a motor turning 3,000 rpm connects to the tires,not only sitting still with a good part of a ton sitting on them,but being held by brakes.The splines,yokes,shafts,u-joints,gears,studs all take sress they are not intended to take.The biggest problem isn`t wear,it`s breakage.
There`s less stress if you had 500 hp and just hit it.All the stress is in that single moment when still becomes motion.The more hp the less resistance at the road.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~

Last edited by special-K; 04-22-2009 at 12:30 AM.
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 01:02 AM   #28
Hoffman65burb

In my 89 sierra, we disconnected the rear brakes, plugged the brake lines, roasted off some tires we found in the back of our school's shop, great fun. There is this kid in my class, his parents bought him an 98 or so ranger, 6 cyl 5 speed 4x4, beutiful truck. he dumps the clutch all the time, brake stands everywhere, redlines every damn shift. Some times puts it in 4 high and trys to spin all 4 tires. So far he has blown his transfer case, both cv shafts, blew up his rear end going down the highway, clutch and flext plate just in peices, and had to replace his door since he hit a pole trying to drift it in 4 high. This is just an example of one of those kids that take what he has for granted. Hate to see that truck go to waste
NP205
3.73 gears
4inch lift
33's
Hoffman65burb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 01:25 AM   #29
highperf4x4
Account Suspended

pppffffttt. It's all small stuff!

I did it the same way longhorn describes it. And I felt the need to do it as often as possible !!

You wanna talk about stress, we used to do the reverse slams in the automatics!!!!! Wind it up in reverse and then slam it in 1st with the pedal on the floor!!!! We had contests to see who could make the biggest checkmarks

We all had our own toolboxes and part supplies too..........................

Last edited by highperf4x4; 04-22-2009 at 01:26 AM.
highperf4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 05:32 AM   #30
Nachos82

We called those double J’s. I destroyed a rear end doing them. Those were the good days where you worked to pay for the truck and drove it like a carefree horn dog teenager. Now I grew up and don’t seem to have any fun.
Nachos82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 08:03 AM   #31
68Stepbed

Well put Nacho. I broke three rearends in my 83 ElCamino SS I drove in High School.

When I first put the 350 in my 68 a few years ago, I still did a few burnouts, but not anything crazy like I used to do in my Elky. Of course, I've got so much time and money invested in my truck now, I don't want to just sit and smoke the tires off of it. I just do an occasional peel out for fun.

68 C10 stepside, LS1/700R4, TCI Engineering suspension system
68Stepbed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 08:36 AM   #32
mesa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skirkpat View Post
My God, I have tuned into my father.....I think I see a nose hair...LOL

That's funny!

Pants on the floor....
mesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 08:44 AM   #33
KEL
72 GMC

we used to just back off the rears a bit on
Friday afternoon before leaving the shop.
we knew what Friday night was going to
be all about.
KEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 09:43 AM   #34
highperf4x4
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nacho82 View Post
We called those double J’s. I destroyed a rear end doing them. Those were the good days where you worked to pay for the truck and drove it like a carefree horn dog teenager. Now I grew up and don’t seem to have any fun.
I found a new way to get the same results with no tickets and less damage to the vehicle....................... I got me a 4x4 and headed for the mud!

For some reason, that lesss damage to the vehicle part isn't exactly what it was supposed to be.
Old 04-22-2009, 10:39 AM   #35
Skirkpat

Quote:
Originally Posted by highperf4x4 View Post
I found a new way to get the same results with no tickets and less damage to the vehicle....................... I got me a 4x4 and headed for the mud!

For some reason, that lesss damage to the vehicle part isn't exactly what it was supposed to be.
we break alot more things when we get in the mud !!! LOL
Skirkpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 12:24 PM   #36
lax54650

maybe i should not admit this but... i had a stock 73 bug. i would go in reverse full throttle pretty fast then hold foot on floor slam it into 1st and pop the clutch.. just to see the checkmarks.
lax54650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 12:40 PM   #37
LOW DOUGH
I'M TRUCK CRAZY!

about the donuts. Make sure you have a tailgate on or you will be running around the parking lot picking up your cargo. LOL

Didn't try that again.
LOW DOUGH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 02:56 PM   #38
72chevyk10
I built it

Quote:

i just went muddin for the fist time last weekend. and to my surprise my truck is running beter and nothing brokei havent given it a tune up or nothin

Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I think the best and cheapest performance mod is to have someone that knows what the hell they are doing perform a tuneup on said vehicle.
72chevyk10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 07:01 PM   #39
highperf4x4
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72chevyk10 View Post
i just went muddin for the fist time last weekend. and to my surprise my truck is running beter and nothing brokei havent given it a tune up or nothin
We may not be doing the same kind of mudding lol.

When I popped the hood on my last run, everything under it was uni-color and covered thick. It was like someone took a brown oil based paint and shot it with an airless rig on everything under the hood for hours.

I jerked the same ford pickup out of the mud 3 times too! Some drunk hillbilly.
Old 04-22-2009, 07:38 PM   #40
72chevyk10
I built it

Quote:
We may not be doing the same kind of mudding lol.

When I popped the hood on my last run, everything under it was uni-color and covered thick. It was like someone took a brown oil based paint and shot it with an airless rig on everything under the hood for hours.

I jerked the same ford pickup out of the mud 3 times too! Some drunk hillbilly.
ea my engine is red dirt colored now its suposed to be green lol i was runin through some prety deep mud/water. (up to the top of the grill)

Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I think the best and cheapest performance mod is to have someone that knows what the hell they are doing perform a tuneup on said vehicle.
72chevyk10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 08:16 PM   #41
highperf4x4
Account Suspended

I KNOW WHAT YOU MEAN!!!! Look at my friggin headers now!!! It's permanent and I can't get it off. They were a medium black before I hit the mud the first time.............

Old 04-22-2009, 09:50 PM   #42
blackdiesel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=myf_m9HeIqg Here is a burn out that I did with my dodge I took off my duels put on some used 35's, BROKE THE BLEEDERS LOOSE, put it in 4th gear and let out my doulbe disc clutch. Yes, I'm young and dumb so you don't have to tell me, My dad tells me ALL THE TIME.
'57 2wd change
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...light=speedway
blackdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 09:50 PM   #43
texanidiot25
Eat My Rust

Must have baked it in, considering headers can hit 1500* F

Quote:
Yes, I'm young and dumb so you don't have to tell me, My dad tells me ALL THE TIME.
My dad just calls me Eric Foreman now..

Last edited by texanidiot25; 04-22-2009 at 09:51 PM.
texanidiot25 is offline   Reply With Quote