The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-28-2014, 09:58 PM   #26
Z10

Re: VIN tag question. How bad did I get burned?

I posted this on another VIN related post earlier this week from the NHSTA.
Enjoy.

Attached Images
File Type: pdf VIN%20ERRORS.pdf (82.7 KB, 604 views)
1979 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 & 1979 Pontiac Trans Am 10th Anniversary
1999 Honda Valkyrie
2006 Corvette Z06
2010 BMW 650i
Z10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 10:47 PM   #27
claysteen

Seemed to be more oriented toward a manufacturer typo and getting it fixed. Still some good information. I don't know how good their recommendation about calling the manufacturer would work out in this case though lol. I've got a good family friend who is head of vice for my local PD. So I'm sure he can point me to someone to educate me on the state laws and such I'll have to deal with here. Guess it's get a state VIN and flip it to move onto a more desirable truck. Fingers crossed for it to all happen with a little frustration and money lost as possible!! Haha!

Lesson learned: Look past the loud noise and adolescent dreams!
claysteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 08:20 PM   #28
luvbowties

Smile Re: VIN tag question. How bad did I get burned?

Quote:
Originally Posted by claysteen View Post
That's about all is was to get my KY title. Drove down the the Sheriff's Office. They looked at the mileage and VIN and two weeks later the title came in the mail.

I'm sure the Farm Truck boys have more into just their motor than what I planned for my entire truck lol

Yeah the state inspection is what I was referring to. Not the DMV. Apologies for confusion!

I can imagine it may be hard to give an idea with so many potential variables. Any idea how much it could affect the bottom dollar (if all hypothetically goes well and I get at least a state VIN so it is more legit that it is now).

Hi, claysteen, unless the truck was a 1-owner, as long as the truck/title became transferable, I'd pay as much for it as if it had an original vin tag and had never had a new one assigned. If I liked the truck, I'd pay just as much.

HTH,
Sam
luvbowties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 09:08 PM   #29
fast&low

Cool Re: VIN tag question. How bad did I get burned?

If I were you I would look for a replacement cab with a title & this time check the vin & use that cab you have for parts because that's all it's good for now.
If you get pulled over by the right police officer for speeding or anything & he checks the vin (It's not common but it has happened) you will get it confiscated till it is fully investigated for theft of truck or parts & even if just the frame is stolen you lose the whole truck with everything you put into it.
And don't just sell it and pass the problem to someone else it's not fair that some heartless person did it to you so don't do it to someone else.
Good luck
fast&low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 09:42 PM   #30
franken

Federal law trumps state law and the federal law says it's illegal to remove the VIN, period. That doesn't mean it doesn't happen or that the VIN on this truck is fake. Like I said the tag may have been issued by a state.
The place to start is the current state and previous state DVM websites. If you just speak to someone at the DMV there's no way to know if they're being factual.
franken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 09:53 PM   #31
fast&low

Franken that vin tag looks like it was put on by a redneck & for the price of a titled replacmment cab I'm not wasting my time & besides if he takes it to DMV & it comes up stolen goodbye to what ever he has invested into the truck.
Old 12-29-2014, 10:01 PM   #32
franken

I'm not concerned with what you waste your time on at all. I never suggested the OP take the truck anywhere so no idea where that BS came from.
State issued VINs look funny, and vary widely.
Unsubscribed.
franken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 10:13 PM   #33
fast&low

BS?
Forums are all about opinions you have yours & I have mine so shill out & have a good new year sir