The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-22-2003, 03:06 PM   #26
superfly68

i'd be willing to pay $30 to $40 bucks for those! $50 might mak eme think aobut it. how about you offer them at a super blockbuster price to MEMBERS only at $35.99? as a start....
then take it from there. If people outside of the forum want a taste offer it to them at $45.99 or so....

just my $0.02...
Old 12-22-2003, 03:47 PM   #27
lewi

Lets not forget that those who are offfering prices for the most part also want the videos. Lets see, I want them so how's $10 sound. Not so good for the work involved and the knowledge to be gained........As Smokey the Bear says, only you can price them (or was that prevent forest fires.)

Built to use, and look good.
lewi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2003, 03:51 PM   #28
Suicide-D

Location: Katy, TX...but the love of my life resides in Dublin,OH.
I paid the 140.00 for Kevin Tetz's 4 video set and was quite pleased in the technical information in the videos. They are roughly an hour long each and on VHS.

If yours are as informative... Your price should be around his or a little more since yours are vehicle specific.

I would be willing to pay 40.00 to 50.00 for one on DVD, but at that price I would probably only buy one... I could justify buying all of them if they are around 25.00 a piece.

From seeing pictures of your work, I'll bet the videos would be well worth the investment.

I also liked Huck's idea of a pay website. Probably more economical for all of us.
Suicide-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2003, 04:58 PM   #29
RON WOODGEARD
Resident Young Old Dude !

Tony,

You of all people know that this work takes a "feel' and no amount of $10.00 or $100.00 videos is going to give you that "touch"
How many guys have you seen want to learn this trade, and just couldn't get the right "feel"? I financed my brother's body shop, I seen a lot of them.
I have never seen as skilled of a craftsman with a grinder as EBfabman !! He sure didn't pick it up off of videos.

I can see it already, that there is going to be a lot of re-do work that some local bodyman will be doing.

Would I pay $50.00 a video to do a backyard job? Absolutely not ! It will price me out, and probably most of these other guys. At 7 hours of video, that would be $350.00 that I can use for something that's a sure thing, instead of something that I'm pretty damned sure I'm going to screw up anyway.
I have been learning this stuff the Hardway for a little more then 35 years.
$350.00 is a couple of new doors, a used Rust Free bed, or even a complete rust free Nevada or Arizona cab.

Ebfabman,
One Idea for you, Put out a "feeler" for what these guys can and will afford to pay, Such as a "POLE" That will give you, what the market will withstand.

Good luck on the outcome, Wish you the best.

Ron

Quote:
Originally posted by Pardue'sCustoms
Eb i thank you should get any where from 40-60 a tape i might even ask 50-70 you have to look at it this way you are teaching them your business and all when i was 15 i started doing body work i would have love to be able to pay 500.00 and some one body to teach me but i learn on my own and it cost and took a few years to learn it and then when i was 20 i went to collage and paied them to teach me and so you are selling your skilles and your know how and if a person wanted to know my skills and my know how it cost them iam sorry it took a lot of learning to get this i work in a lot of body shops let say from 15 years old to i was 34 and i work for so cheap labor at first only becasue i wanted to learn it so i know you are willing to sell to help other truck lovers and i am willing to help any body i can fellows dont get me wrong i love to help but ed don't sell them at walmart prices you count up the hours you spent on that truck
thanks tony
RON WOODGEARD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2003, 06:28 PM   #30
70short

Price

I agree, you might sell more if they were moderately priced. I am not talking giving them away ($10) either.
Weiand Stealth Intake
HEI
shorty Headers
4/2 Drop
295 50R 15 TOYO on 10 inch wide corvette rally rims at all 4 corners.
"CHEVY RULES"
70short is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2003, 07:20 PM   #31
nu2-72

I could watch Discovery Channel for free on brain surgery but it won't make me a surgeon.
As much as you put into these, there will always be some shortfall for those that don't quite get it.
Each prospective buyer needs to be honest in their assessment of their abilities. If they buy these, are they capable of doing the work with these results? And do they possess the tools needed?
Good tools are not cheap and excellent tools won't help a butcher.
None of these comments are meant to discourage you. I have seen pics of your work and it is top notch.
I simply cannot give a fair answer to cost that you will accept. What would I pay? I bought another video on door repair that was offered on this site some time ago. $24.95 price. I felt it was a poor attempt at humor and not very well done.
I would pay $50.00 a set and probably no more. I have many of the tools, have worked in the trade, know enough to be dangerous, and have very good skills. My projects have been mostly fiberglass and metal mix. I would buy it to watch another method, trick or shortcut.
You will ultimately have to decide for yourself if you are in this for money, break even or help a fellow in need.
Sorry I cannot be of more help.
2006 Duramax Crew cab 4x4
2010 Harley Ultra Limited
2011 Harley Street Glide
nu2-72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2003, 08:07 PM   #32
ckhd

Quote:
Originally posted by RON WOODGEARD

You of all people know that this work takes a "feel' and no amount of $10.00 or $100.00 videos is going to give you that "touch"
How many guys have you seen want to learn this trade, and just couldn't get the right "feel"? I financed my brother's body shop, I seen a lot of them.
I have never seen as skilled of a craftsman with a grinder as EBfabman !! He sure didn't pick it up off of videos.

I know that. You know that. I think we all know that. BUT, for someone like me, who would like to learn, and who knows that it takes practice, LOTS of practice, why not get some of the initial lessons from a true master of the trade. EB's stuff is flat-out jaw-dropping awesome. He didn't pick it up from videos, but I can bet you money that he picked at least some of it up, if not a good basic understanding from someone that already had the skills.

BTW, EB, I don't know what to tell you to charge for them. If it's a price that I can buy them all at once, I'll do it. If it's a price that I'll have to save and get them on birthdays, anniversaries, etc..., I'll do that too.

1968 K20 fleet
1969 K10 swb fleet
1972 K10 Suburban
1972 C10 lwb step
1992 K1500 'burb
1995 K2500 'burb
1997 C1500 'burb
1999 K1500
2000 K1500 'burb

Why do I own so many Suburbans?
ckhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2003, 08:22 PM   #33
john
member #16

Im sure if you buy the ones for cab corners, rockers etc what ever job you are doing they will save you the cost for the time and grief alone.(doing it twice but videos wont help some people at any cost)
john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2003, 08:27 PM   #34
oldsub86

I suspect you will ultimately find that this was more of a labour of love than a money maker. If you want them out there, then price them lower and sell more. If you want maximum dollar for each one, then expect that sales will be lower and there will be more attempts to copy the ones sold and to distribute them behind your back.

Unfortunately, I suspect this is not mainstream enough to result in millions sold. Therein lies the problem for so many specialty items. They often cost more to produce than they can be realistically sold for.

One good thing is that they won't really go out of date so you should be able to sell the same material for a long time in whatever format is then current.

I would be reluctant to pay a lot for something that I haven't seen. The photos of your work that I have seen on this site would indicate that you do good work. However, I have no idea if you are able to convey to me, how to do it myself. Would I find that your material is useful and moves me forward or will I find that it is like a lot of the TV shows that purport to show me how to do something and skip the doing while the commercials are on.

Maybe sell the first basic one cheap and charge more for the others in the series. Hook the fish and then reel em in?
Old 12-22-2003, 10:07 PM   #35
jmanz69
Careful, they attack...

I'd be willing to pay just about whatever you asked. At first they will have to be priced higher, to recoup some cost. After they have been selling for a while, you will be able to lower the price. From the pics of your work, I think anyone can learn a lot, even those who already do that kind of work. It's always good to see how someone else does things. $50-60 a DVD is very reasonable. I would only buy one at a time, but I would want the whole set.
Ebay would be a place try out prices, I bet they would go fast there. Just do a BUY IT NOW auction for whatever price you decide. See if anyone bites. If so, then you must be where the market will support you.

Just a thought
jmanz69 is offline   Reply With Quote