The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-21-2003, 01:43 AM   #1
ebfabman

finally........VIDEOS!!!

Yes, Its been way more work than I ever dreamed of but I"m happy with the out come.
Heres whats up, there is a three DVD set that covers rust cut out, front floor, rear floor, front and rear cab supports, cab corner, outer rocker, and the fit of the door.
I have masters of these ready and can make a few DVD's and VCR tapes, just need a little more time to get the packaging ready, however I can not make bulk copies til after the holidays.
Others that will be available also after the holidays are Cowl repair and "A" pillar replacement, Frame shortening, Door rust repair (lower inner shell and outer skin) and Fuel filler patch/ welding and metal finish technique.

Now, Price.........This is where is need some help. What are they worth, well it depends on what kind of job was done.....how much useful information they have. I can say for sure that if I had had the opportunity to watch something like this years ago when I was learning, the learning curve would have been shortened by a considerable amount of time and way more fun and very much less painful along the way. These will not be impulse bought items and will only interest those who are into working on old vehicles. Also, they can not be compared to "workout" or "dance" videos......so, how to price them is the next question.
Ideally, someone very trustworthy and knowledgeable about this type of work, who could view them and give some feed back, would be very helpful, but who? Maybe the board members could nominate someone and vote on them???

Also, some proceeds will go to the board if it would be of some help....thanks....eb

......FEEDBACK.....please.......

Last edited by ebfabman; 12-22-2003 at 01:57 PM.
ebfabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2003, 02:11 AM   #2
smitty62

Geeezz, Fab!
Only you know what you have invested. I'm sure you want to make some money off this, but I'm also convinced your primary goal is to help your fellow hobbiests (is that a word?). I'm not sure I'd let us price these for you, but they 're yours to do with as you will. How about researching other "how to" videos as a guide? There's plenty of them out there!

Stepsides look like real trucks!
Smitty

smitty62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2003, 02:12 AM   #3
72superBB

Hi there,

I am in the retail business, but that really does not matter. What you have to do is dertermine what is costs to make the product. Manufacturing costs. Cost of the disc itself, eqiupment, whatever. THe next part is what do you think people would buy it for. $10 is too cheap, but $50 may be too much. I would pay $30-50 bucks for this type of dvd if it is geared for the diy person who has never done it before. I am the type, that show me once and I can get it. What I am looking for is what you said, a way to replace the floors, cab supports, rockers and cab corners. I think people can pick up the basic meatal work on open areas, but those parts are what may intimidate some people. I have a budget that does not allow for major screw ups where you may ruin something and have to keep buying parts. You have a great idea and will have alot of takers, but the $ has to be right and the quality hasto be there too.

Hope I have helped some.

Ron

1990 Chevy SWB
72superBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2003, 02:16 AM   #4
Steven Sellers

I for one have never done any body work but am able and willing to learn. I have been looking forward to your videos and have no idea what to pay.
I agree that you know what you have in them and you definetly need to get at least that in return

Steve
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee(wifes/wrecked)
1977 DJ5 postal jeep(mmm lots of fun)
1988 Toyota 2wd p/u(DD, blewup 199,000)
1991 Toyota 2ed p/u (sry just cant break these things)
1997 XR70 Honda
1991 Z50(FOR SALE)
1972 Z50 Honda
1970 SWB 350/knucklebuster "The adventure begins and I am confident that there will be no end".
Steven Sellers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2003, 02:46 AM   #5
Canadian694x4
Born To Lose Club

Location: Calgary, Alberta/Oxenden, Ontario, Great White North
I can't really offer a price to tack on this stuff but I do know I'd really like to see what you've done...no matter the price I'm sure I'd by it cause as it stands I have A LOT to learn about truck, body work etc...and these should help conciderably(sp?)....
1972 GMC K2500 Custom LWB Fleetside - Proud Owner For 2 Yrs - 1 of 571 Built & Sold In Canada! - 350 V8/SM465/NP205, 4” Rough Country Lift, 33” Interco TSL Thornbirds
2007.5 GMC Sierra SLE 2500HD 4x4 - Proud Owner For 15 Yrs
- 6.6L V8 Duramax Diesel/Allison 1000, 2" Lift, 33" Mickey Thompson MTZ's.
2008 Yamaha Raptor 700r - Proud Owner For 13 Yrs - ITP Mud Lites.
2015 John Deere 1025R - Proud Owner For 6 Yrs - 24HP Diesel/H120/54D/260B/SB1154.
Canadian694x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2003, 02:51 AM   #6
GMC69

I would definetly like a complete set of the DVD's that cover evrything that you have documented. As for price I guess tha tdepends on how many DVD's it takes up. For a couple DVD's I would spend 50$ for sure.
If I learned enough I may even be able to save more of my truck than I am planning on.

2019 Silvedrado 4x4
1970 Chevy 3/4 ton, 396BB, on air bags
GMC69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2003, 03:07 AM   #7
RussTburb

Definately a tough question. I for one would not only look at the cost but how much people are going to save! Also if they learn well maybe even make a buck! They are already on my christmas list for this year! lol! And I have a birthday comming up in early January. I was going to ask for a welder but I have one that might work for now so now I'm asking for ebfabman's videos. Can't wait! I got three, no four trucks that need body work!
As far as price I think trying to estimate your time into it, what is your time worth? I think nominating someone is a good idea someone who maybe does body work or maybe a comitee of two or three guys. With a vendor on board who knows wholesaling. Just my $.02.
06 2500 suburban 8.1L 4x4
84 chev 4x4 diesel
96 Geo Metro with the 4cylbb, lol! Almost 300k just won't die!
89 Honda Civic, runs on the smell of an oily rag!
2008 Aerolite 26qs Travel Trailer (aka "THE BARN")
RussTburb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2003, 03:08 AM   #8
BLACK AND BLUE 67-72
Firefighter

I would definitely like to have the entire set, but I wouldn't really know what would be a fair price for the 2 discs in a set? I haven't really seen too many educational type DVD's but I have seen new release DVD's in a two pack set for $17.99 and up to $20.99, or single DVD's for $19.99 and up. I wouldn't want to have several hundred dollars tied up in DVD's, that could be used elsewhere on a truck, so possibly anywhere from $19.96 to $50.00 wouldn't be a bad price range. But as stated above only YOU know how much time and work and cost went into them, so I guess it's totally up to you for whatever you decide. Also I really appreciate the effort and work you have put into this project, I think that you do very high quality work, it's nice to have someone like you who actually wants to work on these old trucks and help the rest of us out!!
Yellville, Ar. USA

BLACK AND BLUE 67-72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2003, 03:47 AM   #9
Carl71

I would pm the venders on board sure they have a better idea what this would sell for. Looking forward to them...
Carl71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2003, 04:12 AM   #10
breeh
Recovering 67-72 Addict

I don't think that you can expect these to be priced at Walmart mass produced prices. The huge volume of Hollywood movie DVD's that are sold is what allows such low prices. I have purchased professional education DVD's (medical) for several hundred dollars a crack. The reality is that the market will determine what the price will be. For a high quality product that imparts some real learning, I think that a starting price of $50.00 a DVD would not be unreasonable. You can argue that this money could be used elsewhere in a truck build but how much does it cost to do things over? Compare the price to having someone else do the work and see how it equates.

"Friends call me cruzer cuz I like fast cars and fast women"

Last edited by breeh; 12-21-2003 at 04:14 AM.
breeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2003, 04:35 AM   #11
knucklebuster
Failure is NOT an option!

I really can't help with price,but I definately want to be in line for the first run of videos

1969 Chevy Shortbed Fleetside
1969 Camaro ps pb a/c(drove in high school now it's just a yard ornament,but it's next on the list for resto)
1990 Ni$$an hardbody( daily beater that has been really beaten!)
1999 Grand Am GT(wifes ride...never buy a pontiac!!Trust Me)
knucklebuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2003, 05:23 AM   #12
wxman1

I was looking around on Kevin Tetz's web
site (www.paintucation.com) and he was
selling his body work and painting video
tapes for 39.95 each.

Jim
Mt Juliet
wxman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2003, 05:49 AM   #13
stelth2002
Young Gun wth Fast Inline

Video, DVD. I guess it really wouldnt make a huge diffence in price, as they both cost about the same. However to get the video to a computer requires some tools. Which he might not have. I agree with breeh, educational items are extremely overpriced. But since ive already did the body on my truck i cant really be of much help, however i would be willing to put down 25-30 on a disc/dvd. I wouldnt go any cheaper than that ebfab. Im just a broke college student
Old 12-21-2003, 05:59 AM   #14
cojnit
Nothing clever

Maybe I can help

I have worked in the telvision and home video market for 10+ years.

You may also notice that I am interested in the videos for myself, as I had emailed you about them a couple of times.

I would be interested in helping to evaulate them and eventually purchase them for whatever the agreed price becomes. ( In otherword, I aint looking for a freebie!)

There are several things you must take into condideration.

1. The time you have invested.
2. Repeat sales.
3. Pirating and making you money up front to help offset the loss revenue.
4. content (quality and quantity)
5. projected pricepoint. meaning what the end user would be willing to part with.
6. projected sales. How many people have emailed or contacted you for purchase. This will help you target potential early profit margins.
7. Invested capital. Time, materials, ect. what will you spend on DVD's and duplication cost.

Just a few things to think about.
Old 12-21-2003, 08:01 AM   #15
RON WOODGEARD
Resident Young Old Dude !

I buy Clock repairing,and Stone setting video techniques. from different guys to learn different techniques. They run any where from $9.99 to $29.95.. I did Pay $49.95 for a three tape video that was produced and video taped very well, ( looked pro not back yard) to show the basics of Old Pocket watch repair.

Ron
RON WOODGEARD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2003, 11:06 AM   #16
Pardue'sCustoms
Account Suspended

Eb i thank you should get any where from 40-60 a tape i might even ask 50-70 you have to look at it this way you are teaching them your business and all when i was 15 i started doing body work i would have love to be able to pay 500.00 and some one body to teach me but i learn on my own and it cost and took a few years to learn it and then when i was 20 i went to collage and paied them to teach me and so you are selling your skilles and your know how and if a person wanted to know my skills and my know how it cost them iam sorry it took a lot of learning to get this i work in a lot of body shops let say from 15 years old to i was 34 and i work for so cheap labor at first only becasue i wanted to learn it so i know you are willing to sell to help other truck lovers and i am willing to help any body i can fellows dont get me wrong i love to help but ed don't sell them at walmart prices you count up the hours you spent on that truck
thanks tony
Pardue'sCustoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2003, 11:12 AM   #17
FRENCHBLUE72
PROJECT 7DEUCE

I think that only you can price a product that you have put time into. We have all seen your work and quality is top notch..I for one would like an entire set and would pay the money you ask,but not everyone can afford to by the video's and part's. Some people use these truck's as there only mode of transpo..My truck is not my only transpo and I would like to see the tape's to get it on the road... We all look forward to you decision..

MEMBER #6377

72 k-5 daily driver 6'' lift 35'' 350-350-205 slowly getting rust free.

Project "7DEUCE"

check out my build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=267665

Tim Powell..R.I.P EastSideLowlife..... R.I.P..
FRENCHBLUE72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2003, 11:34 AM   #18
Rod

Well I'm up for the purchase, evaluation or whatever I can do to help...maybe I can be your Canadian distributor....lol.
72 Chev 1 ton tow truck 402BB w/Holmes 440 wrecker on propane
2005 FLSTSCI Harley Springer
85 FXSB Harley Lowrider
72 Triumph 650 Bonneville 5spd
"Poor people don't have hobbies" Quote from wife.
Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2003, 11:41 AM   #19
Huck

@ $50 a tape/DVD, depending on it's content (how many areas you focus on) that would be the upper limit I would be willing to invest on a "how to" instruction.
It may be worth a lot more to someone wanting to "learn the business" as Tony implies but I think most of the buyers will be hobbyests who don't want to learn the business but do the job on their personal vehicle with a minimal of fales starts and botched jobs. I recently just did a pair of cab corners and outer rockers on a nice truck. I was not pleased with the outcome on either but was also not willing to pay the $4-500.s to have a professional body shop do the work.
My choice would be DVD as it is far more flexable in terms of where and when it could be used, cost of duplication, etc. I could just see myself on a plane with my laptop---checking out how to do the fuel filler patch---or better yet, in a meeting with 30 other people--all talking business with me bored to death till I load your how-to on cowl repair!!!!
You will really need to ensure protection in copying them so buttheads down't go hawking them to others. Copywrite isn't a bad idea either.
I have used DVD, VCR, and the large disc educational material for 18 years, created many for the PC/printer repair industry and fully realize the time and effort required to develop quality media instruction. Not easy to create quality material.
Another option would be to create a web site with the instruction on line with a fee based access based on specific areas wanted----example-----
$10. per section downloaded-----outer rockers, cab corners, door alignment, cowl repair, etc. That way your expense to reproduce media would be nill, your packing cost would be nill, your shipping headache would be nill, and the $$$ would just flow into your web based account. Maximum flexability to the customer with minimum cost to you!!
I believe board member PIERCE (Rob Pierce by name) could set the whole thing up for you as he does this kind of thing prefessionally--might even give another board member a discount!!! Just a thought from a Marketing Professional to a Body Repair professional~~~ HUCK
Huck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2003, 01:41 PM   #20
BIG ORANGE

$39.95 is my choice!!!!!!!!!!
And I want one.lol

Things happen for a reason!
BIG ORANGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2003, 02:04 PM   #21
junkyardjohn

I CAN HARDLY WAIT. I WOULD VOTE FOR VCR TAPES AS I DON'T HAVE A DVD PLAYER YET, & I'M NOT LITTERATE ENOUGH TO PLAY THEM ON MY COMPUTER. MY SON (WHO WAS 16 AT THE TIME, NOW HE'S 19) TOLD ME ....DAD YOU REALLY NEED TO GET A CD PLAYER... & I SAID SHOOT JAKE ...AREN'T THOSE LIKE LITTLE 45 RPM RECORDS?? I JUST SWITCHED OVER TO CASSETTES FROM 8 TRACKS. I STILL DON'T HAVE ONE. CHANGE COMES SLOWLY TO SOME OF US OLD GUYS, BUT I CAN HARDLY WAIT TO SEE SOME OF YOUR VIDIEOS. JOHN
LIFE MEMBER OF P.E.T.A (PEOPLE EATING TASTY ANIMALS)

DON'T RENT U-HAUL

ALWAYS TELL THE TRUTH
IT WILL AMAZE PART OF THE PEOPLE & ASTONISH THE REST
junkyardjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2003, 02:05 PM   #22
dmurphy68

I agree with everyone here. I would love to have them . how many are you looking to put out 1 2 or more . if it it an all in one video I would be willing to pay 30 to 50 for it. I am sure you can make you money off of us and recover all your time and cost. put me down for one when you are ready

thanks
Darren

No free man shall be debarred the use of arms
- Thomas Jefferson

Later Darren
http://www.myspace.com/dmurphy68
dmurphy68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2003, 01:36 PM   #23
ebfabman

Guys, let me be a little more clear on what these are. Each DVD or tape is an hour worth of footage, this is the edited footage. Put another way each hour that you will see took 20 or more hours of actual work to do. This of course does not count sitting in front of the computer and compiling/editing.
So each area covered is an hour or more of edited material. Just the lower part of the cab,typical rust on most cabs takes about 3 hours to veiw, figure it took 60 hours to actually do the work.
So I guess what I'm getting at is there is no way everything could be put on one tape or DVD. Right now I have a minimun of 7 hours of edited footage. So that means 7 tapes or 7 DVD's
As you will see most of the redundant work like grinding, welding, and cutting, is either at fast speed or ommitted to save time. Most of what you will see is a step by step show and tell type of explanation of whats being done,whats been done, and whats next
ebfabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2003, 02:27 PM   #24
red71cheyenne
Back in the sticks

I don't want you to cut your throat to produce them, but by the same token, I wouldn't go out and spend $50 on a how to video either. I'd take my chances with learn as doing(been doing it all along, why stop now). I would spend $20-40 on a set of say 3 video's though. I think you are going to be the best one to say how much you think your time is worth though. You are the best at what you do and your time is worth money. Just don't cut yourself short or overprice and I think you can recoup all your time invested. By the way, I'd like video's as soon as you are ready! Thanks, Jeff.
2011 K1500 Suburban
2014 K1500 Pickup
2008 Nissan Altima? The wifes' hoopty
red71cheyenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2003, 02:33 PM   #25
68NMStep

EBFABMAN,

Great product! I am in the middle of a complete body off chassis up build. Finishing the chassis/suspension etc and won't be long until the body work needs to be accomplished.

I will be looking for your product, as I am in the market for any DIY information.
02' HD FLHPI Road King
68NMStep is offline   Reply With Quote