The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-16-2009, 12:23 AM   #51
71meangreenc10
Its a Truck Thing......

Re: I bombed emissions

No tests in sierra vista.....yet

Smitty
72 Chevy Blazer 4X4, Sloppy Jo, Mountain Climber. Wife says no more trucks. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=707378
72 GMC 1 Ton Motor Home, wife said no more trucks until she saw this one. Gen 3 6.0/4L80E 4.10 http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=761110
68 GMC Suburban was 3/4 ton, now 1/2.Wife shook her head
71 C30 Wrecker
71 C20 Scott-Bilt As weird as it gets..BB Cheyenne AC Truck
68 GMC Long Stepside. They keep following me home
71 C20 Longhorn/Ole Yellor
69 C30 Former Motor Home, Flat Bed time
71meangreenc10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 12:27 AM   #52
MagmaJct

A lesson on emissions:

As some of you probably know, HC and CO are both emissions that are tested for. But what are they, and how are they created? First of all, HC is simply unburned fuel. Misfiring can cause this. Low compression? Ignition problems? Lean mixture?

CO is partially burned fuel. See the distinction? Ignition problems won't increase CO, since a misfire doesn't create combustion, thus no "partially" burned fuel.

If you richen the mixture, both CO and HC will go up. If you lean the mixture, both will go down, until the engine starts to misfire, then HC will jump up.

I actually like emissions testing, to an extent. I like knowing my engine is in tune, and running its best.
MagmaJct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 07:01 AM   #53
'68OrangeSunshine

Summer of '06, my '71 Jimmy w/ 350 flunked the smog test 6 or 7 times at the Prince Road location. It turned out to be a vacuum leak related to the A/C controls. I tried it all -- adding a pint of 91 proof rubbing alcohol, new PCV valve etc. Even tried to have them test it in Maricopa. They wouldn't let me test there. They are way more invasive in PHX.

Every 25 years I like to rebuild that 292, whether it needs it or not.

Last edited by '68OrangeSunshine; 04-17-2009 at 07:01 AM.
'68OrangeSunshine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 10:24 AM   #54
chrislehr
Engine n00b

Smog on a classic? nuh UH!
chrislehr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 01:29 PM   #55
70rs/ss

Yeah metro tucson and PHX only though. A 67 through the late 70's is only an idle test, if you fail that, as he said the rollers are a second chance deal, then the retest. If you fail the return trip is free, so no biggy there. A tune on your carb was all you needed, as said above lean it out, but if you lean it too much the the HC go up. I paid to have it done one time, dude with a sniffer set timing and carb to pass I marked the spot for the timing and remembered the settings on the carb every year I just set it up like it was and passed. Believe it or not running clean by the sniffer isn't the best for performance!
70rs/ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 06:58 PM   #56
kamby

In WA state unless i miss understood there were talks about smog testing small engine equipment. I know in cali they banned the older flat head engines.
Old 04-17-2009, 07:10 PM   #57
leddzepp

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamby View Post
In WA state unless i miss understood there were talks about smog testing small engine equipment. I know in cali they banned the older flat head engines.
Flatheads are banned in Cali? Since when? Anything here older than 76 is exempt from emissions inspections.
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 09:58 PM   #58
kamby

Quote:
Originally Posted by leddzepp View Post
Flatheads are banned in Cali? Since when? Anything here older than 76 is exempt from emissions inspections.
Flat head small engines. They've been fazed out for some time now.
Old 04-17-2009, 10:08 PM   #59
spinning wheels

Quote:
You must be referring to lawn mowers and such? A friend of mine owns a lawnmower shop. As he told me, studies show that running a lawnmower for 20 minutes, is equal to running a well tuned car for 2 hours. That is why in So Cal, we get more smog on weekends than a typical weekday. Since people are mowing their lawns on weekends. As bad as So Cal is, it isn't as choked up as the Central Valley, with their Tulley Fog. There, you can only use your fireplace on approved days. If caught using your fireplace on a non-approved day, you can be fined.
Old 04-17-2009, 11:13 PM   #60
kamby

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinning wheels View Post
You must be referring to lawn mowers and such? A friend of mine owns a lawnmower shop. As he told me, studies show that running a lawnmower for 20 minutes, is equal to running a well tuned car for 2 hours. That is why in So Cal, we get more smog on weekends than a typical weekday. Since people are mowing their lawns on weekends. As bad as So Cal is, it isn't as choked up as the Central Valley, with their Tulley Fog. There, you can only use your fireplace on approved days. If caught using your fireplace on a non-approved day, you can be fined.
Yup small engine lawnmowers. Been from one end of cali to the other, and i was surprised how nice SOCAL was, sure theres smog but not as bad as LA area; some of the burbs of la are nice, like poway...
Old 04-18-2009, 11:28 AM   #61
seldomseen65
spirit rider66

Location: pahrump, nevada, in the bowels of the Mojave desert

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinning wheels View Post
:Chevy: Now i know for sure why i left cali and never wanted to go back, i could never get my truck to pass any of those inspections, last time i tried a rag head garage charged me $150.00 and miss tuned the engine all up.
never again, sorry to hear they are now picking on the week-end warriors who desperately need the exercises.
Old 04-18-2009, 11:38 AM   #62
seldomseen65
spirit rider66

Quote:
Originally Posted by seldomseen65 View Post
:Chevy: Now i know for sure why i left cali and never wanted to go back, i could never get my truck to pass any of those inspections, the last time a garage charged me $150.00 and miss tuned the engine all up, running good now.
never again, sorry to hear they are now picking on the week-end warriors who desperately need the exercises. :uhmk:
revised edition
Old 04-18-2009, 11:38 AM   #63
leddzepp

Quote:
:Chevy: Now i know for sure why i left cali and never wanted to go back, i could never get my truck to pass any of those inspections, last time i tried a rag head garage charged me $150.00 and miss tuned the engine all up.
never again, sorry to hear they are now picking on the week-end warriors who desperately need the exercises.
Come on back...your truck is exempt now

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
Old 04-18-2009, 11:40 AM   #64
leddzepp

Quote:
Oh....Gotcha

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
Old 04-18-2009, 11:43 AM   #65
seldomseen65
spirit rider66

Quote:
Come on back...your truck is exempt now
hi leddzepp; you still there huh?,, good for you, got everything , except the wiring in the front of the truck done now, going to get off my ole butt today and do some wiring, (gotta git her done)!! about were do you live in riverside just about is good ok :Chevy:
Old 04-18-2009, 11:55 AM   #66
leddzepp

Hey Seldomseen, I am off of Tyler and Indiana. I remember you said you used to live off of Spruce. My dad used to live off of Spruce before he retired and moved to Lake Havasu City. He has a couple friends that live in Pahrump also.

Wiring is always a lot of fun, isn't it? I am sure you can git 'er done in no time with a few beers out in that hot desert sun!
Old 04-18-2009, 12:17 PM   #67
seldomseen65
spirit rider66

Quote:
Hey Seldomseen, I am off of Tyler and Indiana. I remember you said you used to live off of Spruce. My dad used to live off of Spruce before he retired and moved to Lake Havasu City. He has a couple friends that live in Pahrump also.

Wiring is always a lot of fun, isn't it? I am sure you can git 'er done in no time with a few beers out in that hot desert sun!
OK, leddzepp; :Chevy:clue me in who would be out here besides me from riverside, it would be nice to get some help on the finishing touches on this ole truck.. I'll get some [pics] of the truck soon, (gotta find my camera) you must be near the Tyler mall galleria .
Old 04-18-2009, 12:37 PM   #68
leddzepp

Quote:
OK, leddzepp; :Chevy:clue me in who would be out here besides me from riverside, it would be nice to get some help on the finishing touches on this ole truck.. I'll get some [pics] of the truck soon, (gotta find my camera) you must be near the Tyler mall galleria .
Half the population of LHC are retired folks from California. Most of them city workers, cops, phone company guys. The others are snowbirds. It's kinda like a giant retirement home, except from Memorial Day to Labor Day when all the nuts come in to party like its 1999. There are a lot of hot rod clubs out there too, Over the Hill Gang, Relics and Rods, etc. Check out the Run to the Sun in October at the London bridge. Well over a thousand cars each year.

I can walk to the Tyler Mall from my house. What's the Galleria?