The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-28-2009, 09:41 AM   #51
killer71

Re: Project Charity Case

Truck looks a thousand times better!!!
The CLR that has been mentioned, what is that or what does it stand for?
killer71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 10:01 AM   #52
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

I seem to remember you saying you weren't a welder/bodyman.You couldn't tell it by the rust repair you did.Nice looking truck.I personally like the rake and think it may be needed if you haul with it.
The ministry sounds like a "Godsend" in thesse troubled times.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 10:48 AM   #53
brn agn

Quote:
Originally Posted by killer71 View Post
Truck looks a thousand times better!!!
The CLR that has been mentioned, what is that or what does it stand for?
It stands for Calcium, Lime, Rust. It is an over the counter cleaner that can be purchased at Wal-Mart, Home Depot, etc....

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanelDeland View Post
I seem to remember you saying you weren't a welder/bodyman.You couldn't tell it by the rust repair you did.Nice looking truck.I personally like the rake and think it may be needed if you haul with it.
The ministry sounds like a "Godsend" in thesse troubled times.
Thanks. I have a lot to learn when it comes to welding/fabricating. The ministry is definitely needed, especially during these times and this time of year. I think I could work full time at it and still not meet all the needs.

1971 Cheyenne Super A Combined Effort

The Service Station-A practical ministry for those in need
brn agn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 08:22 PM   #54
brn agn

I got the rubber mat installed today, but I am not happy with the results. I laid the mat out flat in the house to "warm it up" for a couple of hours. I then laid it in the cab and placed a small space heater in the cab with it. The rubber mat was pliable and I was able to get it installed and trimmed relatively well. I wasn't 100% happy with it, but I could live with it. After it was installed, I removed the space heater. Once the ambient temperature dropped, the mat began to wrinkle and it looks less than spectacular. Hopefully, someone can give me some advice based on personal experience. Here is a picture of it while it was still warm:

Here is how it looks now:

Needless to say, I moved on to something else. I purchased a vintage Stewart Warner tachometer earlier this year. I cleaned it up and have been dying to install it in the truck. Here is a picture of it installed:

I also have had some issues with the charging system. The battery showed 12V, but it didn't seem to have enough current to turn the engine over. Once the engine was started, I was still getting 12V at the battery. So, I removed the alternator and the battery and had them tested today. The cold cranking amps on the battery were low and the alternator had no output voltage. So, I bought a new battery, alternator and external regulator (replaced as a precaution). When I got home from the parts store, I installed everything and also replaced the thermostat and housing gasket, because the gasket was starting to leak.

After I started the engine, it sounded as smooth as it ever has. The old alternator had a rough bearing in it, but I didn't realize how much noise it was really making until I replaced it.

The last thing I did today was fab up a temporary license plate bracket (sorry no pictures).

Hopefully, next week I can find a local shop to align the front end on the truck and start using it and work out the rest of the bugs.

Last edited by brn agn; 01-09-2010 at 04:21 PM.
Old 11-28-2009, 10:45 PM   #55
VA72C10
VA72C10

Like the tach and the mat. Hopefully it will even out over time with use but maybe someone with experience with them will chime in.
Old 11-29-2009, 10:30 AM   #56
DW67c10

One of my favorite truck from the classifieds. I never would have guess the rust was that bad.
DW67c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 11:02 AM   #57
ChuckDriver
A320 Pilot/USAF Retired

Nice work! Truck looks great and I'm sure you'll enjoy putting some miles on it.
ChuckDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 01:17 PM   #58
oldblue1968chevy
Grandpa in the rustmobile...

I LOVE your truck! You did a good job, it is PERFECT, and you do really good work. Its going to inspire me to do mine ......maybe

Goose-1968 C10 355,9.32-1CR, Vortec Heads ,262 voodoo, 3.73:1 3OTT (HS ride/beater/farm truck)
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=317684

Grams 53-1953 Chevrolet Belair
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post4327784

1969 Chevy C10 Shortbed 4.5/6?" Frame off resto
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=548136

1999 Toyota Tacoma 4x4
oldblue1968chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 03:12 PM   #59
72BlckButy
Tot Roddin'

Love the new SW tach!

1969 CST SWB - Project Blank Slate (4.5/6" ECE Static Drop, 6-lug disc brake upgrade (manual), Billet Specialties Vintec 20x8.5 255/40 (F) 20x10 295/40 (R), 250 I-6)
1960 AMF Skylark - Tot Roddin' (Lowered with custom frame; soon to include custom push bar and interior)
2008 Silverado CrewCab 1LT (5.3L, 3:73, 4x4, LT1, Z-71, Towing Package)
72BlckButy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 05:08 PM   #60
brn agn

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckDriver View Post
Nice work! Truck looks great and I'm sure you'll enjoy putting some miles on it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldblue1968chevy View Post
I LOVE your truck! You did a good job, it is PERFECT, and you do really good work. Its going to inspire me to do mine ......maybe
Thanks for the kind words! I don't deserve them...I'm really just a hack.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72BlckButy View Post
Love the new SW tach!
Get this: I posted a wanted ad on Craigslist for a vintage, working tach, because I had already bought two older tachs from eBay that were DOA. A gentleman e-mailed me and said that he had an old Stewart Warner tach that his Dad bought for his 1965 Mustang when it was new. I went to his house to look at it and it was in excellent shape. He even had it hooked up to one of his cars just to show me that it worked. He only wanted $25 for it! I told him that it was way too cheap and that it was worth more, but he insisted that he only wanted $25 for it. This gentleman had a nice, big garage with a lot of cool decorations and I happened to have an old, working traffic light (I bought it legit) in the back of my truck at the time. I gave him the traffic signal plus the $25. I think we both were very pleased.

Old 11-29-2009, 05:42 PM   #61
VA72C10
VA72C10

cool story and nice that you made a fair deal for both of you!
Old 11-29-2009, 07:30 PM   #62
lclippard

hey awesome write up!! the first c10 i bought to build had at least that much rust hiding. i gave up on it and got a different truck.....thinking i might go back and spruce that one up too now. i think its cool what you are doing for the needy. i have been working on doing something similar...picking up broken cars cheap, fixing the problems to make them reliable to provide cheap reliable transportation to people that need it, but it seems around here beggers ARE choosers. i hit the craigslist wanted ads, and respond to the cheap-car-for-needy-family ads, and people scoff at the cars i have for a few hundred bucks. if you have needs there, id be willing to lend a hand. keep up the good work!

69 burb/01 yukon chassis
65 Comet Caliente 289 4 Door Sedan
99 Millenia S (supercharged) 4 Door Sedan
02 Yamaha R6
69 swb c10 http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...36#post3799136

building with a buddy:
85 C10 http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...94#post3708194

Last edited by lclippard; 11-29-2009 at 07:31 PM.
lclippard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 08:20 PM   #63
72BlckButy
Tot Roddin'

Awesome story about the tach, and way to not short end the seller. You're a stand up guys brn agn!

1969 CST SWB - Project Blank Slate (4.5/6" ECE Static Drop, 6-lug disc brake upgrade (manual), Billet Specialties Vintec 20x8.5 255/40 (F) 20x10 295/40 (R), 250 I-6)
1960 AMF Skylark - Tot Roddin' (Lowered with custom frame; soon to include custom push bar and interior)
Old 11-29-2009, 10:37 PM   #64
brn agn

Quote:
Originally Posted by lclippard View Post
hey awesome write up!! the first c10 i bought to build had at least that much rust hiding. i gave up on it and got a different truck.....thinking i might go back and spruce that one up too now. i think its cool what you are doing for the needy. i have been working on doing something similar...picking up broken cars cheap, fixing the problems to make them reliable to provide cheap reliable transportation to people that need it, but it seems around here beggers ARE choosers. i hit the craigslist wanted ads, and respond to the cheap-car-for-needy-family ads, and people scoff at the cars i have for a few hundred bucks. if you have needs there, id be willing to lend a hand. keep up the good work!
Don't give up! I have the same frustrations here. For about every 5 people that are not appreciative, there is 1 that really needs the help and is really appreciative. I have to constantly remind myself that the work I do is NOT about me and it is NOT about how I feel. This is my calling. It is not easy at times, but it is what I am supposed to do.

We have friends that live in Cornelius, NC. Maybe if I am down there in the near future, we can meet?

Old 11-29-2009, 11:22 PM   #65
red69ss
Burnouts are therapeutic

great work on the truck its coming togrther nicely,but I'm more impressed with your commitment to serve others, its always good to see those who are not only hearers of the WORD but doers also.
1972 PONTIAC LEMANS CONVERTIBLE (WIFE'S CAR)

"My wife and I were happy for twenty years. Then we met." - Rodney Dangerfield

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits." - Einstein
red69ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 11:23 PM   #66
lclippard

Quote:
Originally Posted by brn agn View Post
Don't give up! I have the same frustrations here. For about every 5 people that are not appreciative, there is 1 that really needs the help and is really appreciative. I have to constantly remind myself that the work I do is NOT about me and it is NOT about how I feel. This is my calling. It is not easy at times, but it is what I am supposed to do.

We have friends that live in Cornelius, NC. Maybe if I am down there in the near future, we can meet?
absolutely. give me a shout and you can stop by the shop and see my rust bucket too! ever so often i get a customer that doesnt want to fix a car and lets me get them for cheap. i hate to see car go to the crusher for a head gasket, or set of rings etc. it is very frustrating to me. i hate hearing people poor mouth and in the same breath shun an oppurtunity to make things better for them selves. just makes me wonder how these people are brought up. anyways, look forward to meeting you, and if your friends need an honest, reasonable auto shop, tell them to give me a shout. ttyl.

69 burb/01 yukon chassis
65 Comet Caliente 289 4 Door Sedan
99 Millenia S (supercharged) 4 Door Sedan
02 Yamaha R6
69 swb c10 http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...36#post3799136

building with a buddy:
85 C10 http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...94#post3708194
lclippard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 11:33 PM   #67
mcbassin
Still Learning

This is truly an awesome project! I have to feel for you on the rust repair. I just purchased another cab to avoid the some of the same issues only with structural rust too. I like your model truck the best too. Did you mention where you got the suspension parts? ECE? aren't there spindles pretty expensive? I want to do a similar drop on our project, yours looks really good BTW. I like the wheels and tires too! The gas tank looks like it worked out good.

That is a great idea for a ministry, I would like to do more of this kind of community work. Keep up the progress!
mcbassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 12:06 AM   #68
brn agn

Quote:
Originally Posted by lclippard View Post
and if your friends need an honest, reasonable auto shop, tell them to give me a shout. ttyl.
Just sent you a PM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbassin View Post
Did you mention where you got the suspension parts? ECE?
My lowering components are from a lot of different places! The drop spindles and front brakes were purchased from Tim Christian and Christian's Classics. He cut me a good deal on them. The spindles are actually made by McGaughy's. I ordered the drop springs, shocks and panhard bar from GMC Paul's. The rear shock relocator brackets are from ECE.

You are correct, these projects due get expensive. I was just reviewing my budget tonight and realized that I need to hold off on any other upgrades for awhile!

Old 12-01-2009, 10:35 PM   #69
brn agn

After failing to find a place that is willing to align a 40 year old lowered truck, a local classic car consignment shop recommended a shop about 10 miles from my house. I drove the old truck there yesterday and they got it aligned today. Thankfully, it was an uneventful 20 mile run. I do have some initial impressions:

1) I HATE exhaust leaks, and the passenger side donut gasket is leaking. It sounds like an old hay truck used on the family farm. I have replaced the gasket once with a sintered gasket, but I may need to track down a fiber gasket. Or use it as an excuse to install headers.

2) The Mr. Gasket oil filter adapter is leaking. I need to replace the gasket in between the adapter and the engine block. Time for another oil shampoo in my hair.

3) The radio delete forced me to really listen to the truck and it was actually a nice change.

4) I may leave the 3.08 gears in the rear axle. It is much more comfortable to drive at 55 mph.

5) I was smiling the entire trip.

You've gotta love these old trucks!

Old 12-01-2009, 11:23 PM   #70
72BlckButy
Tot Roddin'

Glad to hear the maiden voyage was fairly uneventful.

Old 12-01-2009, 11:49 PM   #71
VA72C10
VA72C10

VERY cool! Glad it was a good, safe trip.
Old 12-02-2009, 12:08 AM   #72
hotrod 80
mini truck racer

That's the one . Nervous as heck , but having fun at the same time . The miles and seat time will build trust and you'll find the things that need attention . Next is a trip to the gas station .
1978 Chevy Luv Blue
1976 Chevy Luv Black
1979 Firebird Flooded in Harvey
1999 F350 Dually
2005 GMC Sierra 4.8 RCSB
2014 Explorer (wifes)

My build :http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=399148

Build #2: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=653583
hotrod 80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 11:28 AM   #73
1967swb

Just wanted to say I think you did/ are doing a great job on the truck. I have a 1967 Shortbed Fleetside that needs a lot of rust repair. I bought the truck for $600 when I was 15 years old. Over the years I put in a new long block 350, 700r4, lowered it, rebuilt suspension, had interior redone and installed Autometer gauges, Lokar shifter.

In short, it still looked like a rust bucket But it was mine and I like it. Anyway, you inspire me and my son to finish what I started. He wants the truck as his first vehicle. We are getting it right for him. We are thinking a good expoxy primer paint job and repaired rust will be the only cosmetics upgrades

I love the tach it looks just right. My carpet laid down better after a few weeks of hot and cold. Heat from the exhaust will probably do the trick for you. Good luck.
1967swb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 12:43 PM   #74
brn agn

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1967swb View Post
Just wanted to say I think you did/ are doing a great job on the truck. I have a 1967 Shortbed Fleetside that needs a lot of rust repair. I bought the truck for $600 when I was 15 years old. Over the years I put in a new long block 350, 700r4, lowered it, rebuilt suspension, had interior redone and installed Autometer gauges, Lokar shifter.

In short, it still looked like a rust bucket But it was mine and I like it. Anyway, you inspire me and my son to finish what I started. He wants the truck as his first vehicle. We are getting it right for him. We are thinking a good expoxy primer paint job and repaired rust will be the only cosmetics upgrades

I love the tach it looks just right. My carpet laid down better after a few weeks of hot and cold. Heat from the exhaust will probably do the trick for you. Good luck.
Thanks for the comments. These trucks can become a love obsession, can't they? Good luck with your rust repair. It is not hard, just time consuming and tedious at times.

Old 12-11-2009, 10:04 PM   #75
gcburdic
Restoration Virgin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by brn agn View Post
Hey if you're up visiting...make sure you let me know....would love to meet you too....I could meet you over at Les' shop too!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by red69ss View Post
great work on the truck its coming togrther nicely,but I'm more impressed with your commitment to serve others, its always good to see those who are not only hearers of the WORD but doers also.
Couldn't of said it any better Dwayne.....

Great job on your truck....I was like you about alignment...had to call a custom hot rod shop and ask them where they take their vehicles for alignment....went to an old guy that's been doing it for years...loved to watch him work, and especially loved his stories (I documented my visit in my build)

1972 Custom Deluxe C20 Suburban A Suburban Named Isabella

1966 Ford Mustang Mama's High School Graduation Present
gcburdic is offline   Reply With Quote