The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-28-2015, 03:31 AM   #51
montsb

Re: To truly own a blazer

Well spoken words all. My story is like many of yours. In my family we have always had 69-72 Cherolet pickups, 4x4 or 2 wd my entire life. First memory is my dad's 72 K5. His was Oragne with a black top and a rag top as well. When he built his a Rancho 3" lift and 33" Ground Hawgs were King. We could hear that Blazer coming home from town over 2 miles away. Mine is a far cry from what his was. He had a L88 427 in his. Solid lifter cam, 1150 Dominator, 11/1 compression with water injection for the lower grade gas. Turbo 350 he built himself that never failed and he wheeled that thing almost every weekend. They were called "The Strawberry Hill Club". He broke countless mirrors off and front diffs, axels and such but could usually always drive her home. His handle back in the day was "Orange Bird". . I have some pictures of his Blazer. When I find them I would love to share. When that Blazer was on the dunes or in the sand drags with paddles on the back, wow could it throw some roost!

Inspired by my father, my cousin built a 72 3/4 ton long bed that had a 427 with B & M forced induction all under the hood. Took some doing, but that is the way he wanted it. We worked on them many long nights and weekends. I was pretty young then but I was there to learn and help when I could.

I have owned a 72 C10 step side, a 1970 short wide and now my 71 Blazer. This Blazer was on a dealer lot on the spinning rack. Caught my eye for sure. I bothered them for over 2 weeks about the price and they finally caved. Memories live on and my father is always in my heart and my mind as I am on this path with my Blazer, as he has passed on. I wish I could call and ask for advise. My cousin will talk shop about these special rigs we work on and that helps.

The times spent with family and friends building these trucks will never leave my mind and heart. Times spent with friends and loved ones in these trucks can never be replaced.

Hope I didn't steal anyone's thunder or take up too much time. I don't want a spot light, just felt I should share my little story and relate to many of you. Keep them running well and Blazer on!
Attached Images

montsb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 03:33 AM   #52
montsb

My 72 Step side I had back in high school and college. Miss this truck!
Attached Images

montsb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 10:44 AM   #53
Chulisohombre

Great story and blazer. I bought mine because dad had one as well. When he left Alaska and moved to Cali I lost my dad and a really cool truck to ride around in. I wanted a blazer ever since. That nastalgic feeling always comes back when I'm riding around with my kids now.
72 3/4 ton blazer. 5 inch lift on 35 inch tires. 355 corvette engine with crane roller rockers, rv cam, edelbrock carb and intake with one inch spacer. Thrush Headers with flowmaster 40 duels. 4speed sm465 manual. 4 wheel disk brakes with Inboarded rear shock prerunner style mounts and shocks.
Chulisohombre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 03:30 PM   #54
Giantsniners72

As a kid i never really saw myself as a Blazer guy. When i started to learn how to drive, i was on my dads little 95 dodge Dakota 5 speed. But to get more of the feel for the road and less stalling out in a parking lot, we brought home my grandfathers 72 K5. He bought his Blazer brand new off the lot in late 72. Up until 2004 he drove it, camped with it, hunted with it, took it all around the U.S. On my 16th birthday he handed me the title. It may not be the same truck that rolled off the dealership lot, it may have more miles on the motor, and it may have rust problems in a few spots, but i love my truck the same way my grandfather loved it when he owned it. I still bring it over to him once in a while to show him the latest project and what iv done to it to make it look like it did in 1972. And every time i roll into his drive way i can see that smile from a mile away it feels like. He inspects it inch by inch and gives his suggestions on what should be done. From not really interested with Blazers alllll the way to cruising the Downtown boulevard, i can say that I LOVE THESE TRUCKS! Winter or summer, top on or top off. Nothing makes me feel happier than driving my K5!!
Old 03-05-2015, 05:18 PM   #55
hold24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantsniners72 View Post
As a kid i never really saw myself as a Blazer guy. When i started to learn how to drive, i was on my dads little 95 dodge Dakota 5 speed. But to get more of the feel for the road and less stalling out in a parking lot, we brought home my grandfathers 72 K5. He bought his Blazer brand new off the lot in late 72. Up until 2004 he drove it, camped with it, hunted with it, took it all around the U.S. On my 16th birthday he handed me the title. It may not be the same truck that rolled off the dealership lot, it may have more miles on the motor, and it may have rust problems in a few spots, but i love my truck the same way my grandfather loved it when he owned it. I still bring it over to him once in a while to show him the latest project and what iv done to it to make it look like it did in 1972. And every time i roll into his drive way i can see that smile from a mile away it feels like. He inspects it inch by inch and gives his suggestions on what should be done. From not really interested with Blazers alllll the way to cruising the Downtown boulevard, i can say that I LOVE THESE TRUCKS! Winter or summer, top on or top off. Nothing makes me feel happier than driving my K5!!
I love to here great stories like that... Its really nice that you do that for him... I don't know if its the blazer he see's that makes him happy or his grandson taking such an interest like he did. Nice either way..
hold24 is offline   Reply With Quote