The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current Classic GM Trucks Classifieds > The 1967-1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Parts Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-27-2012, 02:37 PM   #126
70shortfleet

Re: NOS Tachometer, Guage/Faceplate and Circuit boards for sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetorchess View Post
Apologies......"fraud" was not the correct term to use. My issue was with 70shorfleet, who originally said that his tach was in the same condition as jaros, slightly bent, but fixable, and suggested in the future that I pack more carefully. The next thing I know, is he has went thru paypal and filed a claim, posting pictures of a tach that was much more than "slightly bent,but fixable." I settled the calim, pending return of the part.
Thank you for all of the useful information. I think if I decide to sell any further, that I will spend some time on the other boards/forums. That way I have ahead start on any potential issues. As per my other post, a shipping/packing link on the site would be most helpul to new members, such as myself. Thanks again and sorry for the wrong verbage.
Tammy, I don't know what the hell you are even talking about! I don't have any claim with you so you need to get your facts straight. You have got me mixed up with someone else! I am keeping my tach, thanks
70shortfleet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 03:24 PM   #127
70LonghornCST

Securing a Tachometer for Shipping

1. You will need a pen, cardboard, and a ruler. You will need to create a center stabilizer for the tach first.

2. Trace the tach box perimeter onto the cardboard sheet.

3. Find the center of the cardboard square as indicated in the following pictures.

4. Measure (estimate) the center cylinder of the tachometer (diameter)

5. Draw two lines--the diameter of the tach center--onto the cardboard at the center.

6. Draw a circle around the + created in the center

7. Cut out the square

8. cut out the center circle, such that there is a cut from the edge to the center circle

9. insert the tachometer carefully into the center are of the cardboard

10. Carefully insert the tach/cardboard stabilizer into the original box.

11. Next, you will need to create top cap to help protect the needle and face of the tach. Trace the tach box onto the extra cardboard. Leave about 1 & 1/4" flaps on each end as indicated in the picture

12. Cut out the top cap and fold along the extra end lines.

13. Trace out a center section the same thickness of the ruler about 3-4 inches long

14. Cut through along the lines with scissors

15. Cut a long strip (5-6 inches) of cardboard and insert it in the slit as pictured

16. Fold, then staple

18. Insert the cap carefully over the tach. Make sure that the end tabs clear the face of the tach and go down past it along the edge of the box.

This will provide a handle for easily removing the cover without risk of damaging the tach.

18. Fill in the remaining area with packing material and seal the box.

This is how you will recieve the tach back. The claim was mine, not 70shortfleet
1970 Chevy Longhorn
  • Bucket Seats
  • Shoulder Belts
  • Front Tow Hooks
  • Factory Air
  • Factory Speedwarning, Tach & Vaccum
  • Factory Tilt
  • CST Package
  • AM/FM Radio
  • Bumper Guards
Richard

70 Longhorn CST Build

Adding an AM/FM Decal
70LonghornCST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 03:28 PM   #128
Dave
DND Trucks

Wow, what a shame these NOS tachs sustained damage! It's not often that one sees a cache of NOS items like these.
Thetorchess, I've been on this board since 1999 and I've dealt with most all of the members involved and have found them to be honest and stand up folks. I'm not sure of the fraud inferrence you made earlier. It sounds accusatory towards to the members/purchasers involved. Could you explain?
I've purchased a lot of NOS tachs over the years from GM (when available) and thru private collectors. Each retail/parts counter box had foam inside it, to make somewhat of a cushioned nest around the tach. I'm surprised to learn there wasn't any inside these retail boxes.
Just my 2 cents.
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 03:43 PM   #129
VA72C10
VA72C10

Nice detailed post 70 longhorncst. The only thing I will add is on a tach with the button to place a piece of cardboard over the face taped to the underside of the tach tin. Cut a hole the size of the orange button. If not it will get scuffed.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-27-2012, 03:59 PM   #130
70LonghornCST

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA72C10 View Post
Nice detailed post 70 longhorncst. The only thing I will add is on a tach with the button to place a piece of cardboard over the face taped to the underside of the tach tin. Cut a hole the size of the orange button. If not it will get scuffed.
Posted via Mobile Device
Good point. That is what the flaps on the top cap do, they keep an air pocket between the face and the top of the cap. Also, for this poor unfortuante tach, the button is in a plastic baggie safely tucked next to the tach.
Attached Images

1970 Chevy Longhorn
  • Bucket Seats
  • Shoulder Belts
  • Front Tow Hooks
  • Factory Air
  • Factory Tilt
  • CST Package
  • AM/FM Radio
  • Bumper Guards
Richard

70 Longhorn CST Build

Adding an AM/FM Decal
Old 05-27-2012, 04:15 PM   #131
shawno72
C/10 junkie

I to would like to get in line for one of these returned tachs if the price is right. Maybe together we can still make this a win situation.
Posted via Mobile Device

70 LWB C10 current driver/project
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=663051
68 SWB C10 Work in progress.....SOLD
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=559520
72 LWB C10 Sold
71 LWB C10 Sold
68 LWB C10 CST Sold

http://youtu.be/kbB0QrBIs9k

My mom always had the best advice. It was just a tad late. After a fall that involved blood, she'd say....."Careful!"
shawno72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 04:40 PM   #132
powerdriver 1958
Kid's Mechanic

From this point on The name calling and accusations stop . Its a bad that it happened and you need to work through it . Please double check your facts .

Infractions will follow any further argument .
powerdriver 1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 05:02 PM   #133
Sillyoldman

It's kind of late but I would have rolled the tach in bubble wrap and put it in the original box then put it in an oversized box filled with popcorn peanuts. Hope this whole thing finds a happy ending for everyone.

'71 Custom Deluxe C-20 402.
'67 Buick Special 455.
'49 Plymouth Special Deluxe.
"I love that old car smell"

Some people are like Slinkies... not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.
Sillyoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 05:23 PM   #134
PICKMUP
"Trucks with Class"

Gauges are a bear to pack & ship! So are consoles and some other breakable items. Too bad so many were shipped that way before the problem was figured out. I always feel it is the seller's responsibility to deliver the items in "as sold" condition. If you work with that premise, it saves a lot of concern & discussion. I just refund, to make it right and move on... Insurance is cheap and protects the seller on these delicate items.
You've got some cool parts and we really want them. Hope you will offer more to us.
Old 05-27-2012, 05:50 PM   #135
jaros44sr

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetorchess View Post
Thank you for your input and I am also VERY confused as to how they could get so beat up!!! I did look at each one carefully before shipping and there was no damage to any. I also talked to a Chevy dealership and NAPA auto parts store before packing. I was told that the parts would ship fine packed box within a box with packing to cushion. That is is way they were shipped. I find it hard to believe that a metal part bounced onto cushioned cardboard, without any damage to outer box, could be damaged in such a way!. Jaros----you said in original post that yours was only slightly bent, but fixable and added a suggestion for future shipping. I took that as settled. I have tried to answer each complaint within this reply/post. However, I do have a suggestion. This is a huge site. I did visit your "mailing/posting" link and only found complaints with very little useful information. I design websites and know that it is a small little project to add a pop-up to knew members/sellers that would give explicit deatils in how to properly ship these parts. As a new member, I had only to rely on the information gathered from Chevy and Napa, which obviously pertained to new parts. Over the years, packaging has taken care of most shipping issues. Having said all of that, it is Memorial weekend and I intend on honoring my parents and other departed members of my family. Any other complaints/issues, will be replyed to on Tuesday, after I finish my work. Sorry for any inconvenience.
Tammy
On original inspection i saw that the button on the front of the tach was pushed in and resting on the face of the tach, after prying the button up, i put it on the workbench and didnt go back to it for awhile. Next time i picked it up, i noticed that the face was bent.

What i meant by fixable, was prying the button away from the tach face. The bent tach face is a differant story, and will have to be repaired by disassembly, and then be determined if it can be flattened

The partial refund i was referring to was for the cost of repairs to return it to the condition before shipping

It will be difficult to catch the damage in a picture, but i will try if need be....

I will be shipping the part to another board member, for some ink stamping. He will look at it and see if he can straighten it out

I edited your post to try to catch the part of it that pertains to me, if you feel that the entire post needs to be there, lmk

All parts offered to help are free, unless otherwise noted

Dont try this stuff in my build thread, unless you have 55 years of mechanical OTJ training
SAFETY FIRST

AS usual, off topic

They say your mind goes second, can't remember the first

Jim

Last edited by jaros44sr; 05-27-2012 at 06:03 PM.
jaros44sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 06:13 PM   #136
Leroy-B1

Don't know why my name was in that explanation Tammy...I was happy with circuit board I received no complaints
Leroy-B1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 05:15 PM   #137
thetorchess

Sorry....I did make a mistake with your name and Leroy BI....I was kind of paniced when I was trying to sort this all out and in a rush to get replys posted before the holiday weekend. Apologies to you both. Wont happen again.
thetorchess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 05:18 PM   #138
thetorchess

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70LonghornCST View Post
Securing a Tachometer for Shipping

1. You will need a pen, cardboard, and a ruler. You will need to create a center stabilizer for the tach first.

2. Trace the tach box perimeter onto the cardboard sheet.

3. Find the center of the cardboard square as indicated in the following pictures.

4. Measure (estimate) the center cylinder of the tachometer (diameter)

5. Draw two lines--the diameter of the tach center--onto the cardboard at the center.

6. Draw a circle around the + created in the center

7. Cut out the square

8. cut out the center circle, such that there is a cut from the edge to the center circle

9. insert the tachometer carefully into the center are of the cardboard

10. Carefully insert the tach/cardboard stabilizer into the original box.

11. Next, you will need to create top cap to help protect the needle and face of the tach. Trace the tach box onto the extra cardboard. Leave about 1 & 1/4" flaps on each end as indicated in the picture

12. Cut out the top cap and fold along the extra end lines.

13. Trace out a center section the same thickness of the ruler about 3-4 inches long

14. Cut through along the lines with scissors

15. Cut a long strip (5-6 inches) of cardboard and insert it in the slit as pictured

16. Fold, then staple

18. Insert the cap carefully over the tach. Make sure that the end tabs clear the face of the tach and go down past it along the edge of the box.

This will provide a handle for easily removing the cover without risk of damaging the tach.

18. Fill in the remaining area with packing material and seal the box.

This is how you will recieve the tach back. The claim was mine, not 70shortfleet
Thank you for the detailed pictures. I had NO idea that these were so fragile and needed to be packed in this manor. Yes, I made the mistake on my earlier post. Again, my apologies.....you guys have me freaked out and afraid to post anything now! But, valuable lesson learned. Thanks.

Last edited by thetorchess; 05-30-2012 at 09:28 PM. Reason: quote already on sight
Old 05-29-2012, 05:46 PM   #139
sharpie1972
Account Suspended

Everyone makes mistakes. My advice would be to do your best to make everyone involved happy, and don't give up! This board is a great place to deal parts. Sharpie
sharpie1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 06:09 PM   #140
72blazr

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharpie1972 View Post
Everyone makes mistakes. My advice would be to do your best to make everyone involved happy, and don't give up! This board is a great place to deal parts. Sharpie

Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-29-2012, 07:03 PM   #141
Tuff Gong

X3
Tuff Gong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 07:27 PM   #142
shawno72
C/10 junkie

Agreed! Everyone on here is more understanding than not. Keep on going.

70 LWB C10 current driver/project
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=663051
68 SWB C10 Work in progress.....SOLD
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=559520
72 LWB C10 Sold
71 LWB C10 Sold
68 LWB C10 CST Sold

http://youtu.be/kbB0QrBIs9k

My mom always had the best advice. It was just a tad late. After a fall that involved blood, she'd say....."Careful!"
shawno72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 08:12 PM   #143
jaros44sr

dont get freaked out on us, keep going. We are all waiting for the next batch of parts you find. Sh!t happens in life, learn your lessons, and move on....

We will all be better off with the parts you supply

All parts offered to help are free, unless otherwise noted

Dont try this stuff in my build thread, unless you have 55 years of mechanical OTJ training
SAFETY FIRST

AS usual, off topic

They say your mind goes second, can't remember the first

Jim
jaros44sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 08:23 PM   #144
70LonghornCST

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetorchess
Thank you for the detailed pictures. I had NO idea that these were so fragile and needed to be packed in this manor. Yes, I made the mistake on my earlier post. Again, my apologies.....you guys have me freaked out and afraid to post anything now! But, valuable lesson learned. Thanks.
And if you are not sure what the best way to ship a part is, ask, and someone will be more than happy to chime in. Between one of us, someone on here will be able to provide an explanation on how to ship safely.
1970 Chevy Longhorn
  • Bucket Seats
  • Shoulder Belts
  • Front Tow Hooks
  • Factory Air
  • Factory Tilt
  • CST Package
  • AM/FM Radio
  • Bumper Guards
Richard

70 Longhorn CST Build

Adding an AM/FM Decal
Old 05-29-2012, 11:22 PM   #145
thetorchess

Thank you to everyone.
Old 05-29-2012, 11:55 PM   #146
HDBOB

Not so proud of my club in this matter. We are the ones, who by having to own something we don't really need inflate the price of this "tin". We spend big dollars on stuff that we know isn't really worth it . Which makes us mad at ourselves to begin with. So when something goes wrong , it escalates our anger into something that ain't pretty. I am all for persuit of our hobby , but when it stops being fun ,count me out. John 3:15
HDBOB is offline   Reply With Quote