The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-22-2007, 02:19 AM   #176
CAL 58 GMC

Re: 52 Project

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgf545 View Post
We are planning a trip to see them at Christmas and I want to try and make a side trip to Fresno. Let me know sometime if that would be ok. Thanks for asking about him, he really enjoyed seeing your truck at the show.

Bernie
Let me know when you get here.
CAL 58 GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 10:14 PM   #177
pgf545

Ok I got a little work done today. I wish I had more time to work on this thing but I only get one day to play. I got the crossmember installed...well tacked until the motor gets back from the machine shop. Progressive recommended waiting until everything is set to do the final welding. This should be the last big step on the frame so maybe in the next few weeks we can blast and paint. I also started a list of know items that needed to be worked and parts that we still need to get. That crazy list is 2 legal pages long.... Her are a few pictures that I took today. Enjoy.

Bernie
Attached Images

Old 11-03-2007, 02:01 PM   #178
paul5663

Bernie,
Nice to see you are getting some stuff done on your project. Just wondering....are you sure you don't have your X-member upside down? Reason I ask is that I just installed the same pc. on my '59 and it is flipped 180 from the way you have yours installed. It looks like the cab will hit your the top cross pc. (bent upward). Check my thread to compare. I called Progressive before welding mine in to be sure and I followed the steps they told me to take. Let me know what you think. Paul

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=229882
paul5663 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 03:03 PM   #179
pgf545

Paul, I believe you are correct...I didn't catch it until I got home and posted the pictures and comparing it to yours. I guess I missed something when I was going through the instructions...like flip the thing over??? I used the punch marks thinking that was the top rail and I guess it is not. I haven't been down to dad's since sunday so I haven't had time to see where I went wrong...lol. I usually don't miss stuff like that but all I can say is oops. At least I didn't weld it completely in so it shouldn't be a big deal to fix.
Old 11-03-2007, 05:24 PM   #180
paul5663

Bernie,
As it is, you just have a few tacks to cut, right? No problem then. The box plate work looks great by the way. Keep us posted!!
Paul
Old 11-03-2007, 11:01 PM   #181
solidaxel

Another good reason to post photos, so other that have completed projects can help with advice and thoughts, it never hurts to take a second look at things!!!
53 TuTone Extended Cab 350 4-Spd 3:08 (SOLD)
53 Chevy Moldy pearl green ZZ-4 4L60E 9" 3:25
55 GMC 1st Black Mll (ZZ4) ZZ6 TKO 600 5 sp 3:73
62 Solidaxle Corvette Roman Red (327
340hp 4spd 3:36) C4 & C5 suspension tube chassis
LS 3 4L70E
65 Corvette Coupe 327 350hp 4spd 4:11
78 Black Silverado SWB (350/350) 5.3 & 4L60E 3:42
2000 S-Type 3.0 (wife cruiser)
2003 GMC SCSB 5.3 4L60E 3:42
solidaxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 09:36 PM   #182
pgf545

Ok I finally got it right...lol. I reread the instructions and have determined that they suck and don't explain very much for my application. After reviewing the drive shaft clearance it was determined that I must of had too much beer to drink or just a case of head up my butt, probably the latter. I cut the spots and flipped the cross member over and things look much better. I spotted it back in and pulled a block out, slapped the heads and tranny on and gave it a test fit while I was there. I also got the rear shock cross member tacked in, so all in all it was a good day yesterday. I probably won't make it down this weekend cause I have this wedding anniversary thing going on....duck here comes the wife...love ya honey. Here are a few shots of what I got done. Thanks Paul for confirming my goof up, but at least it is fixed now.

Bernie

P.S. I had a flash today at work and realized that the tranny isn't going to work as currently configured. This transmission came out of a 1 ton truck that had a 2 piece driveshaft that had the slip coupler after the carrier bearing so after talking to dad we might go with a 700R4 or try to get another output shaft for this transmission, so the tranny mount is going to stay tacked for a while.
Attached Images

Old 11-07-2007, 11:03 PM   #183
paul5663

Bernie,
Yes, it is looking like things are coming together now. I agree that the instructions included with the X-member leave alot out and are too general rather than model specific. Can definitely be called vague.
Motor looks pretty sweet! Keep it goin!
Paul

Old 11-08-2007, 06:49 AM   #184
pgf545

Thanks, Those are the heads and intake that we are going to use. The block is still at the machine shop and should be done here pretty soon. That is one of our former race blocks that I pulled out to help in the setup.

Bernie
Old 11-09-2007, 07:40 AM   #185
Bob@ProAuto

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul5663 View Post
Bernie,
Yes, it is looking like things are coming together now. I agree that the instructions included with the X-member leave alot out and are too general rather than model specific. Can definitely be called vague.
Motor looks pretty sweet! Keep it goin!
Paul

Paul5663 and pgf545,
If you have a suggestion on what we should include or change in or instructions, feel free to throw me suggestion on what would have made your installation easier.

Sometimes, we manufacturers, take things for granted that everyone know what we are talking about. Without feedback, I have to assume that there aren't any problem with understanding the instructions.

Some things are the same on all X-members, such as the top tubes being flush with the top of the frame. Recessed firewall either purchased or custom made can change the placement. Non-Chevy motor and transmission combinations also effect placement.

P.S. Hi to everyone. I have a 48 Chevy pick-up, 56 Chevy pickup and my wife has a 55 Handyman wagon project for me.
Bob@ProAuto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 01:46 PM   #186
pgf545

Bob, It is refreshing to see that some manfactures are still willing to take comments from their customers. Ok now that you called me out....lol. I think my biggest problem was that they instructions were unclear with reguards to the "A" center punch marks. The way the instructions were written it looked like the "A" marks went to the top of the frame (pointing up towards the cab). This caused me to flip the whole thing over....I guess I am trying to make too much out of it because if I had been really thinking I would have realized that the rear crossmember was going to interfere with the drive shaft. Also I had some trouble trying to figure out if it was square of not. Maybe another set of marks a little farther back to cross measure off of? I did the best I could and am probably within a 1/4", measured from the front to the "A" mark on each side. The best I could tell that is not all the critical other than to locate the tranny crossmember.

I did like the way you guys fishmouth the tubing and do a good job of marking the locations. Also the quality is very nice. I also did the boxing plates from you and they fit pretty good. The only problem I had with them was towards the rear of the frame from about the start of the rearend rise to the rear crossmember there was quite a gap. I am not sure if it was the plates or if the frame is out o wack.

I won't be able to work on the truck again until next weekend and then I will look over the instructions again to see if there was anything else that confused me...lol.

Bernie

P.S. Welcome to this site and post some pictures of your truck.
Old 11-09-2007, 03:19 PM   #187
Bob@ProAuto

Bernie,
In regards to the boxing plates, I've seen some "variations" in the stock frames.
Read this as, lack of tolerance, diffrent dies made by diffrent tool and die makers (no CAD/CAM programs), and the list goes on.
One of the obvious things is the typical cap between the passenger's side fender and the hood. When they fit perfect, you can bet that someone has cut and welded on something. Same with the inner curve on the rear fenders. If you step back and look, the factory fenders have a diffrent arc as they roll up to the bed.
We do our bets to make parts fit, but when a vehicle isn't perfect from the factory, it can be difficult.

As far as customer feedback, I'm always willing to take consructive critisism. And I think most good companies are too. For some of us, this is still a pride factor. Others just see it as a way to make a buck. It seems today that most folks buy a part from a parts house or "middleman". When they do have a problem and get no answers from the middleman, they shrug their shoulders, move on and live with it. That wouldn't satisfy me and I don't expect my customers to either. Seems like when you save a buck on an item, what you really save on was the lack of technical help.
I've just had this discussion with a friend of mine that got a 62' Chevy rear disc brake kit for about half the cost of the well known one out there. Once he started the job, he found out thet the bearings had to be pressed of the axles. Had to special order the bearings and also had to have a machine shop do something to the brackets as well. He found out that with phone calls with no questions answered, bearing cost and machne shop labor, his kit actually cost him more than the other brake kits.

Let me know your ideas on what would have made your life easier, and I'll see if I can include it into our instructions.

I'm almost embarassed to post pictures of my stuff. The plumber's toilet seems to be the last one to get fixed..................
Here's my 56. Still a work in progress.
Old 11-09-2007, 06:13 PM   #188
pgf545

Bob, Thank you for understanding my venting, you don't seem mad and I hope that you are not. I am glad that you are willing to accept criticism to make your products better. I have found that there are a lot of companies out there that must only be interested in making a buck and don't have the resources to help you through a problem. You seem to have great pride in your company and in your workmanship. Thank you for that it is a rarity these days. I was able to get through the boxing plates without to many problems and I figured that was the answer before I even posted it. I am a machinist by trade and I have trouble getting out of my "it has to be perfect" mode sometimes.

I don't see any problems with your truck...it is like art...all in what you see. I can see a killer truck in the not to distance future. Keep up the good work with your truck and your company. Once I look at the instructions again I will let you know if there is anything else that doesn't make sense to me. You are always welcome on this site and keep up posted on your truck progress.

Bernie
Old 11-09-2007, 08:39 PM   #189
Bob@ProAuto

Nope, not mad at all. I just feel that what you really pay for isn't just parts, but Tech support and our experience as well.

Good Parts + Tech Support = Actual Value.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, if you have a question, feel free to call.
I understand the "perfection" aspect. My wife has pointed out my "anal retentiveness" to me many times. I rebuilt an old Serro Scotty camper a few years ago and I called her out to the garage many time to see if I needed to redo something I started. She pointed out many time that it was fine, it's just a camper and as long as it doesn't leak we're good.

That's probably why it takes me so long on my own projects.
Old 11-09-2007, 09:42 PM   #190
AB6DO

What headers are you using on your 52. I am just.
getting ready to start the installation of the 454 in my 48 Chevy 5 window

Larry
Kingsburg,Ca
AB6DO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 11:47 AM   #191
pgf545

Quote:
Originally Posted by AB6DO View Post
What headers are you using on your 52. I am just.
getting ready to start the installation of the 454 in my 48 Chevy 5 window

Larry
Kingsburg,Ca

Larry, We are using some block hugger headers for I think we got from Jegs. I think they are going to work...lol. The best I can tell everything is going to clear. The only thing I haven't fitted yet is the steering shaft, but I did use a piece of PVC tubing to do a quick mockup and it looks like it is going to work. They are a little small tube diameter but we are not planning on running a lot of HP so they should work fine. Welcome to the board and feel free to ask questions. All I can say it that it is a tight fit and will require lots of patience.

Bernie
Old 11-10-2007, 08:05 PM   #192
Lrall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob@ProAuto View Post
Bernie,
In regards to the boxing plates, I've seen some "variations" in the stock frames.
Read this as, lack of tolerance, diffrent dies made by diffrent tool and die makers (no CAD/CAM programs), and the list goes on.
One of the obvious things is the typical cap between the passenger's side fender and the hood. When they fit perfect, you can bet that someone has cut and welded on something. Same with the inner curve on the rear fenders. If you step back and look, the factory fenders have a diffrent arc as they roll up to the bed.
We do our bets to make parts fit, but when a vehicle isn't perfect from the factory, it can be difficult.

As far as customer feedback, I'm always willing to take consructive critisism. And I think most good companies are too. For some of us, this is still a pride factor. Others just see it as a way to make a buck. It seems today that most folks buy a part from a parts house or "middleman". When they do have a problem and get no answers from the middleman, they shrug their shoulders, move on and live with it. That wouldn't satisfy me and I don't expect my customers to either. Seems like when you save a buck on an item, what you really save on was the lack of technical help.
I've just had this discussion with a friend of mine that got a 62' Chevy rear disc brake kit for about half the cost of the well known one out there. Once he started the job, he found out thet the bearings had to be pressed of the axles. Had to special order the bearings and also had to have a machine shop do something to the brackets as well. He found out that with phone calls with no questions answered, bearing cost and machne shop labor, his kit actually cost him more than the other brake kits.

Let me know your ideas on what would have made your life easier, and I'll see if I can include it into our instructions.

I'm almost embarassed to post pictures of my stuff. The plumber's toilet seems to be the last one to get fixed..................
Here's my 56. Still a work in progress.
Sick truck, what rims do you have on 'er?? i like the progess shots just as much if not more than the finished product
Lrall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 03:08 PM   #193
pgf545

Well after some requests on progress not much to report. Pretty much been grinding welds and doing touch ups to the frame. I finished up doing most of that today and it should go to the blasters sometime this week or next. Dad did get the motor put together over the holidays so I am posting a couple of pictures of that. He started putting the drive system on but wasn't quite finished with that today when I took the pictures. Hopefully in the next month or so we can start putting it back together. He also painted the transmission but I forgot to take and pics of that. Enjoy and hope progress starts to come faster.

Bernie
Attached Images

Old 01-08-2008, 03:11 PM   #194
Daniel U

Pretty!
Mom's 1954 (TBI 5.7/700R4/14 bolt 4:10) 5 Chevrolet window 3/4 ton long bed Pick up
build thread ->http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=228674
My 1954 (TPI 5.7/700R4/10 bolt 3:73) Chevrolet 5 window 1/2 ton short bed Pick up
build thread->http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...3&goto=newpost
1960 (400/T350/?) Apache 10 short/fleet side-big window
1973 (TPI 5.7/700R4/14 bolt 4:10 w DANA 60 front) Chevrolet Cheyenne 4X4
2013 (Vortec 5.3/6-speed 6L90 automatic) Sierra LT CREW CAB
Doing my part to warm the globe
Daniel U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 12:27 PM   #195
Cole_lol

Hello,
I see your putting a large motor into your truck, I am about to start my 51 GMC build, and I was thinking a 454 big block but I was told that that my not be a good choice because its not economical and hard to work on, with yours do you have plent of room to work on it or is everything really tight? Note this is going to be my first build and have lots of mechanics that are just willing to spend my money and stuff so. I dont know im kinda up in the air on what type of engine i should put in it i guess. Allways open to suggestions so I thought i would start here.
Thanks,
Cole
Cole_lol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 12:36 PM   #196
solidaxel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole_lol View Post
Hello,
I see your putting a large motor into your truck, I am about to start my 51 GMC build, and I was thinking a 454 big block but I was told that that my not be a good choice because its not economical and hard to work on, with yours do you have plent of room to work on it or is everything really tight? Note this is going to be my first build and have lots of mechanics that are just willing to spend my money and stuff so. I dont know im kinda up in the air on what type of engine i should put in it i guess. Allways open to suggestions so I thought i would start here.
Thanks,
Cole
The old saying something like, " How much money do you have and how fast do you want to go"
There is plenty of room in these trucks even enough for a supercharger under the hood
Now the cost of rear tires may be of some concern!!!!
53 TuTone Extended Cab 350 4-Spd 3:08 (SOLD)
53 Chevy Moldy pearl green ZZ-4 4L60E 9" 3:25
55 GMC 1st Black Mll (ZZ4) ZZ6 TKO 600 5 sp 3:73
62 Solidaxle Corvette Roman Red (327
340hp 4spd 3:36) C4 & C5 suspension tube chassis
LS 3 4L70E
65 Corvette Coupe 327 350hp 4spd 4:11
78 Black Silverado SWB (350/350) 5.3 & 4L60E 3:42
2000 S-Type 3.0 (wife cruiser)
2003 GMC SCSB 5.3 4L60E 3:42
solidaxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 12:53 PM   #197
prostreeter58

pgf545.........just had to send you these pics......I saw your Corvair behind the motor and thought I would share a pic of mine with you.............btw, real nice ride you are building there.................
Attached Images

prostreeter58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 05:41 PM   #198
pgf545

Man that thing is CRAZY. Dad is putting his together for my mom. He is almost done with the motor and with any luck it will be running this summer so she can enjoy it. It is going to be mostly stock. I think he did ad a few performance mods but nothing like yours...lol. What do you run with that thing? Looks like a Super Gas or super street car. I but Ralph Nader is Pissed!!!!!!!!!!

Bernie
Old 01-11-2008, 07:17 AM   #199
Daniel U

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole_lol View Post
Hello,
Thanks,
Cole
Cole, what do you intend on building the '51 truck for? It may bethat it would be more economical to go with a 5.7(350). It's still a V8 but there are many more aftermaket parts/kits for them making them cheaper to build. My '88 Camaro, '99 Tahoe, and '54 5 window all have injected 350's. I had already bought the software and TPI stuff for my IROC, so it was a no brainer going TPI with my '54. You can go hog wild with these builds, so be careful. Me and my mom are both doing '54 Chevy trucks. We both have Must.II front ends with identical drive trains. She's only spent 1/4 of what I have and is nearly in the same place with her build. My truck will be much different than hers when finished but they will both look the same to the average person as we drive down the freeway together. It all depends on what you want to build/spend. I would suggest thinking about it a long time. My trucks budget has doubled already and I can't drive it yet! Don't make the same mistake! Have a budget and stick with it. These things can evolve! Just my .02
Mom's 1954 (TBI 5.7/700R4/14 bolt 4:10) 5 Chevrolet window 3/4 ton long bed Pick up
build thread ->http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=228674
My 1954 (TPI 5.7/700R4/10 bolt 3:73) Chevrolet 5 window 1/2 ton short bed Pick up
build thread->http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...3&goto=newpost
1960 (400/T350/?) Apache 10 short/fleet side-big window
1973 (TPI 5.7/700R4/14 bolt 4:10 w DANA 60 front) Chevrolet Cheyenne 4X4
2013 (Vortec 5.3/6-speed 6L90 automatic) Sierra LT CREW CAB
Doing my part to warm the globe
Daniel U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 11:34 AM   #200
prostreeter58

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgf545 View Post
Man that thing is CRAZY. Dad is putting his together for my mom. He is almost done with the motor and with any luck it will be running this summer so she can enjoy it. It is going to be mostly stock. I think he did ad a few performance mods but nothing like yours...lol. What do you run with that thing? Looks like a Super Gas or super street car. I but Ralph Nader is Pissed!!!!!!!!!!

Bernie
I put this car together when my son was 16. He started out in jr dragsters then went to a vega, then this one. We kept it really mild (he was only 16) it has a 408 sbc, powerglide, 4.88 rear. Best time was 10.28 at 129 mph.........not bad for a mild motor. Son has since gone into the Coast Guard so rather than leave the car sitting, I sold it.............one day I would like to do another one.........we'll see.
prostreeter58 is offline   Reply With Quote