The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-16-2010, 07:20 PM   #2201
ruffrida2005
Member of the longbed union.

Re: Project Vitamin C-10

were doing the same thing over here in Cen Tex. going to a place way cooler then Hooters. Gonna be a mini meet.

88 GMC Crew Cab dually, 454/T400

64 LWB 400 HP 350/350T Bagged, under construction! Sold most of it!

92 S10 Iron Duke 5 speed, 5/7 drop for now. soon to be bagged. Sold http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...59#post4637759
ruffrida2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 03:51 AM   #2202
Racinaround

Re: My 1965 build thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan's Classic View Post

What can you tell me about the Ortho Hood
Is that from the Truck that Tobey Butler Drove? It looks about that vintage?
1971 Chevelle
2008 Dodge HD3500 Tow Rig
Racinaround is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 04:01 PM   #2203
Alan's Classic
1 thing at a time is progress.

Re: My 1965 build thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by daverod View Post
Somebody slap him.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dudewith4x4 View Post
Dam dude. Just read your whole forum and your my Hero! lol but really Im just 16 and Im in auto body at school and I think I wanna do it for a living but you make it easy!

-Ross.

Ps. Smokey and the bandit= best movie ever besides Road Warroir.
Thanks Ross, Smokey and the Bandit Rocks!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggamonsta View Post
You have done some awesome work. Think about jumping in the truck with the wife and cruising done a country on a sunny warm afternoon. I remember living up north and feeling the winter blues. You can push through this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonzcustomshop View Post
that sounds like the last month for me...
hard to get motivated when it is in the single digits!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4dranch View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by i90wrench View Post
Hang in there dude! Awsome build. We had 20" snow with 50 mph winds over christmas. Frozen water sewer then furnace quit at house, -20 deg a few days. But been up to the 40's the past week and bunch of broken cars in shop. All my "projects" under 8ft drift. Spring is coming! We all get down this time of year. (holiday bills)
It wasn't that bad here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4dranch View Post
Been a bad winter for all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubba327 View Post
Hey Alan, Do not give up the ship!! I think Idaho winters are rough until I read of the Midwestern and Canadian guys threads. Theirs is much worse.
Get a SAD sunlight and do some winter light therapy while you are on the computer at night. It really does help my patience level and mood improve when my winter depression hits.
With a project the size of like yours and working for a living It can easily burn a guy out. Take a little break -your not on the clock and it is supposed to be fun!!
I used to laugh at my Father-in-law and his 1 year projects, 5 year projects and 10 year projects. I am understanding these things better now that I am older.
Hang in there, I enjoy your thread.
Bubba
Quote:
I wonder if welding without your helmet on counts as uv therapy
LOL I've been there. Never burned my eyes, but got a bad skin burn. We learn from our mistakes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NuBomb View Post
It might be time for a North GA mini meet or something. Nothing is so bad that some BBQ and Beer couldn't fix.
You got me thinking. We have a community building that can be rented here in town. It's a big building with bathrooms, kitchen, stage and tables with alot of parking. Any other thoughts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woogeroo View Post
mmmm, bbq.

ya'll be sure to write me... about this bbq meet.

-W
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruffrida2005 View Post
were doing the same thing over here in Cen Tex. going to a place way cooler then Hooters. Gonna be a mini meet.
That sounds like alot of fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racinaround View Post
What can you tell me about the Ortho Hood
Is that from the Truck that Tobey Butler Drove? It looks about that vintage?
Can't remember the drivers name. My old neighbor use to drive the hauler for Charles Hardy Chevrolet here in Dallas GA. My neighbor was also a bodyman at the same dealership and did the body work on the NASCAR truck. He's the one that got me on the pit crew for Mark Gibson's #59 ACRA car.

Thanks for all of the support guys. I believe we all go thru these times from time to time. I went and got a part time job at another body shop close to the house to make some extra cash (to pay bills). It will help me out some and get him thru the snow/ice damage.
Alan's Classic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 04:47 PM   #2204
Ru5tyNut5

I can't believe I'm finally done catching up on this whole thread...been reading it since friday around lunch time at work with a few hour break yesterday to sell my jeep for parts money for my project. I kinda sharted a little when I finally got to this page and saw talk of a possible for sale sign. You do great work Alan, and be patient through these tough times, it will all be worth it the first time you pull it out of the shop under it's own power.

Keep it up,

Dustin

Project Ru5tyNut5
Ru5tyNut5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 01:07 AM   #2205
Alan's Classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ru5tyNut5 View Post
I can't believe I'm finally done catching up on this whole thread...been reading it since friday around lunch time at work with a few hour break yesterday to sell my jeep for parts money for my project. I kinda sharted a little when I finally got to this page and saw talk of a possible for sale sign. You do great work Alan, and be patient through these tough times, it will all be worth it the first time you pull it out of the shop under it's own power.

Keep it up,

Dustin
Thanks Dustin. Don't worry I'm not going to sell the truck. It don't cost anything to sit there.

"Flashed" PM'd me a few weeks ago telling me about some used headers he had that he was giving away. He only lives 8 miles from me. I finally got over there tonight to pick them up. I hung out for a couple hours and talked trucks/cars. How much better could it get. I figured why not see if they fit. We don't know what brand they are. Thanks Flashed it was great to meet another truck/car nut.

Started the 13 week Dave Ramsey Peace University today. Maybe it will help our situation. It diffenately can't hurt.
Old 01-18-2010, 01:12 AM   #2206
Dudewith4x4
Momma Tried.

Alan man. Would you check out my thread and tell me what you think about my Shifter?

Thanks dude.
Ross
Saving up for a 64
17 and loving it.

Dudewith4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 01:28 AM   #2207
Ru5tyNut5

My wife and I went through his "finacial peace university"...there is a lot of good info if you can stick to what he says, that's the hard part....what is it, live like noone else today so tomorrow you can live like nobody else? there's no secrets to his course, mostly common sense type stuff but he kind of lays out a guideline that will work if you can follow it.

Project Ru5tyNut5
Old 01-18-2010, 01:33 AM   #2208
Alan's Classic

Quote:
Alan man. Would you check out my thread and tell me what you think about my Shifter?

Thanks dude.
Ross
Done

Quote:
My wife and I went through his "finacial peace university"...there is a lot of good info if you can stick to what he says, that's the hard part....what is it, live like noone else today so tomorrow you can live like nobody else? there's no secrets to his course, mostly common sense type stuff but he kind of lays out a guideline that will work if you can follow it.
It will help me and the wife get on the same page. Do you agree since you and your wife went thru it?
Old 01-18-2010, 01:37 AM   #2209
Ru5tyNut5

yea, you will both be on the same page as far as what you should do, but it won't do any good if you aren't doing your budgets together and whatnot. you'll both need to stay actively involved your finances so if currently only one of you handles the bills and what not then that will probably have to change. that's a really big part of his course, having every single penny budgeted before you get it, there should never be one cent without a home before you ever see it.

Project Ru5tyNut5
Old 01-18-2010, 01:42 AM   #2210
Ru5tyNut5

oh, and you'll definately want to stay actively involved in the budgeting part if you want Vitamin C10 to be included in the budget. you are allowed to spend money on your toys, but your toy money has to be included in the budget before you ever get the money. his course will be a lot harder to stick to if your paycheck changes week to week or however often you get paid. also you shouldn't ever really be using a debit card, only cash, you'll get some materials to help with that. easier to spend money when you're just using a card, harder to hand over cold hard cash is his theory there.

Project Ru5tyNut5
Old 01-18-2010, 07:06 PM   #2211
Tim_A

Alan, thanks for a great thread. I learned a lot and it has been a great motivation. Tomorrow I start attending evening welding courses (first lesson ). I guess nothing feels like doing it yourself, not having it done for you. It will be several years before I can afford to stop working and start doing this, but you have to start somewhere. Will give me time to put a shop in place and get the equipment. Hope that you complete your project and enjoy your fantastic truck.
Old 01-20-2010, 12:20 AM   #2212
Alan's Classic

Quote:
oh, and you'll definately want to stay actively involved in the budgeting part if you want Vitamin C10 to be included in the budget. you are allowed to spend money on your toys, but your toy money has to be included in the budget before you ever get the money. his course will be a lot harder to stick to if your paycheck changes week to week or however often you get paid. also you shouldn't ever really be using a debit card, only cash, you'll get some materials to help with that. easier to spend money when you're just using a card, harder to hand over cold hard cash is his theory there.
about being hard to hand over cash. Maybe something good will come out of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim_A View Post
Alan, thanks for a great thread. I learned a lot and it has been a great motivation. Tomorrow I start attending evening welding courses (first lesson ). I guess nothing feels like doing it yourself, not having it done for you. It will be several years before I can afford to stop working and start doing this, but you have to start somewhere. Will give me time to put a shop in place and get the equipment. Hope that you complete your project and enjoy your fantastic truck.
Thanks Tim. How did your first class go? It was mainly introduction probably. It will definately be worth it.

My suspitions were right about headers with the front tubes hitting the engine perches (CPP). I need headers with the front tubes going up and back. Like my shorty I have that didn't fit either.

These are the headers that "Flashed" gave me.

Here are the headers I have now with the front tube going up and back.

Old 01-20-2010, 12:52 AM   #2213
ruffrida2005
Member of the longbed union.

Alan you need the headers that I have. look in my thread. They come black and coated.

88 GMC Crew Cab dually, 454/T400

64 LWB 400 HP 350/350T Bagged, under construction! Sold most of it!

92 S10 Iron Duke 5 speed, 5/7 drop for now. soon to be bagged. Sold http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...59#post4637759
ruffrida2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 04:25 AM   #2214
Tim_A

First class went well. Yeah, it was a preparation stuff about different steels and their characteristics, but I am looking forward to the next ones. Great thing is that they will give us a lot of chance to practice which is key! Good luck with the headers!
Old 01-20-2010, 05:25 PM   #2215
aggie91
I'm just glad to be here!

My wife and I went thru Dave's FPU class last spring. It is hard to stay on the guidlines he lays out, but well worth it in the long run. Many compromises must be made between your wife and yourself. Dustin is right, you can do you toys and fun things, but it needs to be in the budget and on paper. The hardest part we had initially is being honest about all of our debt. We have eliminated about 1/2 of it, but are still working on a CC and car payment. The goal is to have it all gone by the end of this year except for our house payment. Like Dustin said it is mostly common sense stuff, pay for EVERYTHING in cash and do not borrow money or use a credit card.

Good luck with it...Hope you enjoy the stuff in the course and how he presents it. We did.

1965 Chevy Stepside(Grandpa's Old Blue) and (July 2015 Shop Build!)(2020, the Saga Continues)
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=372424

The LST Challenge:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post7812257

Korbin's 1st Square: "Sunburn"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=418618

1985 GMC Sierra: "White Trash", Korbin's 2nd now...
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=632305

Henry - 1984 Chevrolet, Owen's 1st Square
aggie91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 12:39 AM   #2216
Alan's Classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruffrida2005 View Post
Alan you need the headers that I have. look in my thread. They come black and coated.
I'm keeping them in mind. The PN is in my build thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim_A View Post
First class went well. Yeah, it was a preparation stuff about different steels and their characteristics, but I am looking forward to the next ones. Great thing is that they will give us a lot of chance to practice which is key! Good luck with the headers!
You striking an arc yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggie91 View Post
My wife and I went thru Dave's FPU class last spring. It is hard to stay on the guidlines he lays out, but well worth it in the long run. Many compromises must be made between your wife and yourself. Dustin is right, you can do you toys and fun things, but it needs to be in the budget and on paper. The hardest part we had initially is being honest about all of our debt. We have eliminated about 1/2 of it, but are still working on a CC and car payment. The goal is to have it all gone by the end of this year except for our house payment. Like Dustin said it is mostly common sense stuff, pay for EVERYTHING in cash and do not borrow money or use a credit card.

Good luck with it...Hope you enjoy the stuff in the course and how he presents it. We did.
2nd class was really good. We are not in that bad a shape as far as unsecured debt. It's just I can't depend on my income being where it needs to be. It is helping us prioritise and cut back and refocus. Yes that means the truck fund will be zero for a while. Which it has been for a while.

I discovered this past week there is a guy that lives in my little town that builds headers. I'm waiting for a guy at church to get me his number. Maybe he can fix what I have (shortys) and get them recoated.
Old 01-27-2010, 12:43 AM   #2217
Dudewith4x4
Momma Tried.

You want long tube headers?? I just sand blasted mine today.

Oh and you know how I was taking autobody class? My teacher got fired..
Saving up for a 64
17 and loving it.

Old 01-27-2010, 12:51 AM   #2218
Alan's Classic

Quote:
You want long tube headers?? I just sand blasted mine today.

Oh and you know how I was taking autobody class? My teacher got fired..
I want to run shortys. That sucks (I guess) about your teacher. They gonna replace him? Maybe I could apply for the job.
Old 01-27-2010, 12:53 AM   #2219
Dudewith4x4
Momma Tried.

Do it man. Lol That would be awesome. I hate them for firing him.. I have been a lil mouthy. I just hope when they Replace him the other guy will be cool. I dont wanna lose interest.
Saving up for a 64
17 and loving it.

Old 01-27-2010, 08:21 PM   #2220
daverod
SSN 706

I don't think I like this Dave Ramsey guy. Sounds like a cheap skate. Seems like he doesn't like wasting money on old trucks. My wife would like him. Good luck with it. I never did like University. "Oh ya your truck is orange. Is my avatar a ford? I still like the picture, I might have to change it.

Last edited by daverod; 01-30-2010 at 01:24 AM.
daverod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 10:48 PM   #2221
Alan's Classic

Quote:
Do it man. Lol That would be awesome. I hate them for firing him.. I have been a lil mouthy. I just hope when they Replace him the other guy will be cool. I dont wanna lose interest.
I would love to get a auto body teaching job someday maybe when I'm closer to retirement.

Quote:
I don't think I like this Dave Ramsey guy. Sounds like a cheap skate. Seems like he doesn't like wasting money on old trucks. My wife would like him. Good luck with it. I never did like University. "Oh ya your truck is orange. Is my avatar a ford? I still like the picture, I might have to change it.
I'm loving the Dave Ramsey class.

Good news.......Getting a little refund from Uncle Sam. No, all of it's not going into the budget. There might be a little left over for the project. I promise to try to post some progress pics in my next post. If/when I get to do anything.
Old 02-02-2010, 12:29 AM   #2222
daverod
SSN 706

I got a teaching degree. The last year you did your student teaching. It was then that I found out I hated kids. Not all kids just high school ones. Maybe someday? Not. Glad to hear you like the Dave guy.
Old 02-02-2010, 12:30 AM   #2223
Dudewith4x4
Momma Tried.

Dont be dissing high school kids man. lol
Saving up for a 64
17 and loving it.

Old 02-02-2010, 12:36 AM   #2224
daverod
SSN 706

I'm not dissing I just said I hate them.Most are smart a$$es That was a diss.
Old 02-02-2010, 12:37 AM   #2225
Dudewith4x4
Momma Tried.

Thats true. We are.
Saving up for a 64
17 and loving it.