The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > LSx Swaps

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-01-2015, 03:08 AM   #8
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

Re: Vortec 6.0 detectives?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 50 Chevy LS3 View Post
Here's the questions:
2. Is this computer a good choice for re-programming?

For most purposes, its fine. If you use any of the tuning programs, you can see the Year, VIN, and mileage of the ECM from in its files..this will confirm any questions you have. GM used that basic ECM for most the LS powered vehicles from 02-06. It can be programmed using HP Tuners, EFI Live, or a few other smaller Tuning suites or flash tuners.

3. Does anyone have a good recipe for budget 400HP LQ9? Will have to use block-hugger headers.

*See in main post

4. Without a vehicle VIN or year, is it going to be hard to get the correct acc. pedal?

Knowing its from a truck from 03-06, you should be good with the metal-stalk truck pedal, and its matching TAC.

I'm sure there will be more questions, but, hope you all can answer these first.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 50 Chevy LS3 View Post
The harness is pretty bad, darn junkmen appeared to try to unplug some of it and then just cut some of it.
Getting a custom harness from one of the 30+ companies making them will run around 450-650, depending. Thats not cheap, but you start with a clean, all new harness which is setup just for your project. You also get things like a new fuse panel etc that cleans up the connections. Having a harness reworked is 300-450, but if your harness is pretty bad, they may not want to rework it.

Depending what trans you run, there will be different VSS wiring. You won't need to run a controller though, as the ECM you have can run the 60/65/80 as long as the tune is setup for it.

[/quote]

I have some answers in bold above for ya.

As for getting to 400hp;
With an LQ9, 400hp isn't too hard. (did you want 400chp or 400rwhp?)
A cam swap with pushrods and springs, and a tune, will get you near 400chp with a good tuner...even with cast manifolds or shorty headers. The cam/valve stuff is around $500, and a tune is ~$350.

You can go further in terms of performance, but for a budget swap, I'd consider using extra budget to get a good stall convertor with whatever trans you choose. It'll make you feel faster, run faster 1/4, be stronger, and it's a good thing to buy to match the cam. They can be expensive, from 450-1200 however.

I'm tired of typing for now, but if you got more questions, let me know.

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote