The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-23-2013, 10:30 AM   #1
Metalaroundstone

Another Strange Air Cleaner on 66

My 66 Fleetside/327 came with this strange looking air cleaner. Apparently, the 2 barrel was swapped for a 4 barrel and this is the air cleaner the PO scrounged up. Does anyone know what this might be from. It looks like it should be an oil bath cleaner, but it does not have any of the interior parts. The PM threw an air filter inside that was just decorative. It had a full inch of space between top of air filter and top of cleaner. I am looking for an air cleaner that would be more original looking, even though this truck never came with a 4 barrel. Any ideas?

Also, in the carburetor pic, there is a vacuum line coming from the air horn that is not connected to anything. Should it be? Or should it just be plugged as it is now?

Thanks
Attached Images

Metalaroundstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 10:43 AM   #2
hyatt

Re: Another Strange Air Cleaner on 66

55-57 chevy 265 or 283
1940 olds sedan (project)
1967 ss396 chevelle
1999 dually crewcab(24000 miles)
hyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 10:53 AM   #3
63burban
Chevy addict

Your air cleaner cover looks like a 57 Chevy 4barrel, worth money to the right guy. Actually with the correct paper filter it will work and look nice.
63burban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 01:04 PM   #4
WhippinSaw

I like it, I have seen them on ebay with a rat rod air cleaner search. Heres one with the long oval snout. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Original-195...2e5767&vxp=mtr The ad shows some kind of filter with the cleaner, Just mod it and make it work without the air gap, buy an aftermarket one, or sell this one and mod another one. The plugged air line looks like a pollution control device from the donor car.
WhippinSaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 01:50 PM   #5
65Gregg

I think it is cool, I'd figure a way to use it as previously suggested.

Blue long bed
White TBSS
61 Impala
“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.” Mark Twain
65Gregg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 01:59 PM   #6
Metalaroundstone

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhippinSaw View Post
I like it, I have seen them on ebay with a rat rod air cleaner search. Heres one with the long oval snout. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Original-195...2e5767&vxp=mtr The ad shows some kind of filter with the cleaner, Just mod it and make it work without the air gap, buy an aftermarket one, or sell this one and mod another one. The plugged air line looks like a pollution control device from the donor car.
It looks like my air cleaner was born as an oil bath type. I wish i had the internal mesh unit to convert it back to an oil bath. Boy, it looks like these puppies are expensive judging by the link you provided.
Old 05-23-2013, 03:13 PM   #7
WhippinSaw

You can just put an air filter in it and use it.http://www.classicchevy.com/chevy-oi...tabs-container or here on chevy talk has some purolater filters that will work. http://www.chevytalk.org/fusionbb/sh...hp?tid/288808/
WhippinSaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 11:00 PM   #8
ray_mcavoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metalaroundstone View Post
My 66 Fleetside/327 came with this strange looking air cleaner. Apparently, the 2 barrel was swapped for a 4 barrel ...
Actually, your 66 327 would have originally had a Rochester 4G carb with a cable operated hand choke. The carb on there now appears to be a 4GC which is basically the same carb with an added automatic choke.

That plugged off "vacuum line" connected to the carb's air horn is a fresh air source for the automatic choke.
ray_mcavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 09:47 AM   #9
Metalaroundstone

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray_mcavoy View Post
Actually, your 66 327 would have originally had a Rochester 4G carb with a cable operated hand choke. The carb on there now appears to be a 4GC which is basically the same carb with an added automatic choke.

That plugged off "vacuum line" connected to the carb's air horn is a fresh air source for the automatic choke.

My carburetor has no ID on it except " Rochester" and "4 Jet." It is helpful to know it is a 4GC. I do not see any place to attach the hose on automatic choke mechanism. The only choke outlet attaches to a copper tube that goes to the exhaust manafold.

By the way, I was told by the guys at 4-5-6 Chevy Trucks that the 1966 c10 with 327 did not come with a 4 barrel carb, but the 1966 service manual addendum seems to disagree. I know, however, that my truck came with a 2 barrel, which was replaced with a 4 barrel by the PO. I have been told that the 4 barrel gets better mileage than the 2 barrel, but I can't confirm this.
Old 05-24-2013, 04:01 PM   #10
kieth

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalaroundstone View Post
my carburetor has no id on it except " rochester" and "4 jet." it is helpful to know it is a 4gc. I do not see any place to attach the hose on automatic choke mechanism. The only choke outlet attaches to a copper tube that goes to the exhaust manafold.

By the way, i was told by the guys at 4-5-6 chevy trucks that the 1966 c10 with 327 did not come with a 4 barrel carb, but the 1966 service manual addendum seems to disagree. I know, however, that my truck came with a 2 barrel, which was replaced with a 4 barrel by the po. I have been told that the 4 barrel gets better mileage than the 2 barrel, but i can't confirm this.
if you can keep your foot out of the other 2 barrels then it would get better fuel mileage, i could just never manage to do that.....kieth
kieth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 05:31 PM   #11
oldno7

I have one exactly like this, It came from a 64 (LCF) low cab forward truck i have been parting out its in awesome condition with minor survice rust it has a strap that wraps around it and connects to the firewall i would say this is the original for this truck it is a oil bath with all the inside i could post up pics when i get off work. I had someone wanting to buy it but im really wanting to convert it to a 4 barrel air cleaner and use it myself I really like the looks of these perticular air cleaners and if they were chrome plated would be a cool touch
Old 05-25-2013, 08:33 PM   #12
ray_mcavoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metalaroundstone View Post
My carburetor has no ID on it except " Rochester" and "4 Jet." It is helpful to know it is a 4GC. I do not see any place to attach the hose on automatic choke mechanism. The only choke outlet attaches to a copper tube that goes to the exhaust manafold.
The ID number was originally stamped on a small brass tag attached to one of the air horn screws so it's pretty common for that to be missing off the carburetor.

Sounds like the PO also swapped on a passenger car exhaust manifold with the heat tube inside ... that's a good thing in your case because the truck manifolds didn't have that tube due them using a hand choke.

Anyway, the copper tube you mentioned is most likely attached to the upper end of that tube that runs inside the exhaust manifold. And the lower end of that tube is probably just left open (allowing the choke system to suck in unfiltered air). Just locate the opening on the bottom part of the manifold and run another section of copper (or steel) tubing from there up to that rubber hose on the carb air horn. That will give the choke system a filtered air supply.
ray_mcavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 12:11 PM   #13
63MOUSE

i agree, chrome it and keep it
63MOUSE is offline   Reply With Quote