The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-24-2015, 08:45 PM   #1
1968aj

stepside bed question

bought a swb stepside. the taillights were gone and I am trying to put stock taillights back on it. there are threaded holes for taillights and backup lights. anybody know what size the bolts are?cant find them in any catalogs. also do all bolts that hold bed to frame go through the wood or are there any other bolts that attach to frame?any help is appreciated.
1968aj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 09:52 PM   #2
Dustytrix

Re: stepside bed question

The bolts go thru wood and rails to hold it to the frame 4 in front and 4 in rear. My taillight bolts were replaced with self starters so I cant help you there.
Dustytrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 10:06 PM   #3
1968aj

thanks . I got a new set of bed bolts just making sure that was all that held it on.
Old 05-24-2015, 10:22 PM   #4
Clatterville trolley

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1968aj View Post
bought a swb stepside. the taillights were gone and I am trying to put stock taillights back on it. there are threaded holes for taillights and backup lights. anybody know what size the bolts are?cant find them in any catalogs. also do all bolts that hold bed to frame go through the wood or are there any other bolts that attach to frame?any help is appreciated.
I think that you will find that they are 3/8 bolts about 1 1/4" to 1 1/2" long they take a 9/16" wrench to remove if I remember correctly? I just took some off of a bed about two weeks ago. Hope this might help. Jay
Clatterville trolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 12:51 PM   #5
1968aj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clatterville trolley View Post
I think that you will find that they are 3/8 bolts about 1 1/4" to 1 1/2" long they take a 9/16" wrench to remove if I remember correctly? I just took some off of a bed about two weeks ago. Hope this might help. Jay
thanks im off to hardware store. I keep a bucket full of extra bolts in garage but never has what I am looking for.
Old 07-26-2015, 01:16 PM   #6
1968aj

still trying to find out what kind of bolt holds the stock taillights on stepside bed. went to hardware store and nothing there will thread in to hole. are they the bolts with the tapered end similar to those that hold inner fenders? a picture would really help
Old 07-26-2015, 01:43 PM   #7
Mator

Quote:
still trying to find out what kind of bolt holds the stock taillights on stepside bed. went to hardware store and nothing there will thread in to hole. are they the bolts with the tapered end similar to those that hold inner fenders? a picture would really help
Try 5/16-18. That's what I have used to mock my bed up.
Mator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 08:31 PM   #8
1968aj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mator View Post
Try 5/16-18. That's what I have used to mock my bed up.
went to hardware store for the third time. bought 5/16-18. will not fit factory threaded holes for taillights or backup lights. these are not any bolts that ace hardware has. anymore ideas? should be some common type of bolt .
Old 08-01-2015, 08:51 PM   #9
Clatterville trolley

I just took another step side bed apart and those bolts are 5/16 and take a 1/2" wrench, not 3/8 bolts that take a 9/16" wrench like I said the first time I replied - my bad.
My guess is that someone has cross threaded the holes that have a factory nut welded behind them and now the bolts don't want to fit. Have you tried to run a 5/16" 18 tap into the welded nut to clean out the threads?
Of course, some of those bolts are just bolts and nuts through blank holes and some have threaded holes - it is a mixture. I could send you some of the old bolts out of one of the beds I have disassembled if that would help you any. Jay
Old 08-01-2015, 11:18 PM   #10
1968aj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clatterville trolley View Post
I just took another step side bed apart and those bolts are 5/16 and take a 1/2" wrench, not 3/8 bolts that take a 9/16" wrench like I said the first time I replied - my bad.
My guess is that someone has cross threaded the holes that have a factory nut welded behind them and now the bolts don't want to fit. Have you tried to run a 5/16" 18 tap into the welded nut to clean out the threads?
Of course, some of those bolts are just bolts and nuts through blank holes and some have threaded holes - it is a mixture. I could send you some of the old bolts out of one of the beds I have disassembled if that would help you any. Jay
all the holes look like they are threaded. I cant see any way to get behind them to put a nut on them. if you could take a picture of one or send me one I would sure appreciate it.
Old 08-04-2015, 02:18 PM   #11
Clatterville trolley

Quote:
all the holes look like they are threaded. I cant see any way to get behind them to put a nut on them. if you could take a picture of one or send me one I would sure appreciate it.

If you send me your email address I will send you some photos of the bed parts and bolts that I have. Jay
Old 08-04-2015, 03:24 PM   #12
In The Ten Ring

If I can remember to, I'll get some pics of my stepside also.

*The LMC taillights and reverse lights I ordered were perfect in every respect. I wish I could say that about the rest of the things I bought from them.
In The Ten Ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 10:18 PM   #13
1968aj

finally got my taillights on. the threads were screwed up in the mounting holes. made some bolts work. thanks for all the help. sometimes the smallest thing can get your blood pressure up. THANKS FOR YOUR TIME.
Old 08-04-2015, 10:40 PM   #14
Clatterville trolley

Quote:
finally got my taillights on. the threads were screwed up in the mounting holes. made some bolts work. thanks for all the help. sometimes the smallest thing can get your blood pressure up. THANKS FOR YOUR TIME.

Terrific! Determination and perseverance are your best tools sometimes. Jay