The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-05-2016, 08:33 AM   #726
COOP3726

Re: Do you have a 1972 Plaid Pickup?

Thanks for the information guys. I wish it had the original plaid seat, though. It is virtually impossible to find plaid to match the original factory material. Obviously someone else knew this, because they had velour inserts added instead. My intensions are to keep it like the highlander other than the seat (I guess) and put a engine and transmission in it. I am looking at a 5.3L engine with a 4l80e transmission conversion. I am in the process of finishing an 85 Silverado after 6 years of working on it. I hope to start on it soon. I am posting one picture of my Silverado because this tread is based on the 67-72's. Thought you all might want to check it out. Thanks again for the information.Name:  85 silverado.jpg
Views: 583
Size:  64.1 KB
COOP3726 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 09:17 AM   #727
Already Gone
70+ ( Old Skool Club )

Quote:
Originally Posted by COOP3726 View Post
Thanks for the information guys. I wish it had the original plaid seat, though. It is virtually impossible to find plaid to match the original factory material. Obviously someone else knew this, because they had velour inserts added instead. My intensions are to keep it like the highlander other than the seat (I guess) and put a engine and transmission in it. I am looking at a 5.3L engine with a 4l80e transmission conversion. I am in the process of finishing an 85 Silverado after 6 years of working on it. I hope to start on it soon. I am posting one picture of my Silverado because this tread is based on the 67-72's. Thought you all might want to check it out. Thanks again for the information.Attachment 1549539
You can get plaid seat covers through board Vendor Truckseats. If you into the vendors thread you will find his ads.

Members I have personally met: MusicMan70 - HeavyD - ChewyChevy67 - StingRay -71SWB4x4 - 67 Burb - DeadheadNM - too much stuff - bc65 - das601

" Circumsatances Do Not Change Responsibility "

" The Sky is not the Limit, Your Mind is." Marilyn Monroe ..

RIP Charlie Watts 1941 - 2021
Already Gone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 09:34 AM   #728
Chulisohombre

Nice looking 85. I was going to Say truckseats vender in here as well. I don't have any clue besides him where to get the correct fabric.
Posted via Mobile Device
Chulisohombre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 10:39 AM   #729
Ed F

Or SMS has the fabric and you can have it sewn locally. I got green from back in March and we cut the stitches from the original and sewed in the new keeping the original vinyl.
Ed F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 11:11 AM   #730
Coley

Smile Re: Do you have a 1972 Plaid Pickup?

So here is a question for the Highlander group....of which I am one:

If you needed your seat redone would you consider maybe using the 'Cheyenne' type cloth material in place of the highlander plaid in order to update (arguably improve?) the interiors appearance?...or would you absolutely stick with the plaid?
I have been considering this when I get my seat redone...but I'm still on the fence with this. I don't really mind the appearance and I think for the better part, I simply don't think about it all that much....but I do get a kick out of the comments it (the plaid) gets and it has me looking more closely at the appeal of the highlander material in my own mind.
I don't think it would change the history of the truck, etc and it could be changed back at some point....regardless, what do you think?....are you lovin' that plaid?

All Good
Coley
2005 Chevy Silverado HD2500/Duramax
2000 Dodge Ram 1500
Coley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 12:31 PM   #731
SS Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by COOP3726 View Post
... I wish it had the original plaid seat, though. It is virtually impossible to find plaid to match the original factory material. Obviously someone else knew this, because they had velour inserts added instead. My intensions are to keep it like the highlander other than the seat (I guess)...
The plaid can be had but it isn't cheap. SMS is the only place I know of that has the plaid material and its where Tim (truckseats) sources his from as well.

More than likely the velour was intentionally used to get away from the plaid as many trucks were. Since the specific seat cover is really what makes a highlander a "Highlander" it would be hard "...to keep it like the highlander other than the seat...".

As I said earlier your truck is a long way from its original appearance, so I'd suggest doing some research and decide if a rebuild or an actual restoration is more in line with your long term goals and finances.
SS Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 01:07 PM   #732
Already Gone
70+ ( Old Skool Club )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coley View Post

If you needed your seat redone would you consider maybe using the 'Cheyenne' type cloth material in place of the highlander plaid in order to update (arguably improve?) the interiors appearance?...or would you absolutely stick with the plaid?
I have been considering this when I get my seat redone...but I'm still on the fence with this. I don't really mind the appearance and I think for the better part, I simply don't think about it all that much....but I do get a kick out of the comments it (the plaid) gets and it has me looking more closely at the appeal of the highlander material in my own mind.
I don't think it would change the history of the truck, etc and it could be changed back at some point....regardless, what do you think?....are you lovin' that plaid?

All Good
Coley

Interesting point Colin. I have original buckets with the console and new foam for my Highlander and next is to order the seat covers. My plan is to order the green plaid covers like used on Blazers but weren't available for pickups. I do have thoughts of maybe going with the scroll parchment seat covers instead or like you the Cheyenne cloth. I'm thinking as I'm scraping the money together for the covers.

Members I have personally met: MusicMan70 - HeavyD - ChewyChevy67 - StingRay -71SWB4x4 - 67 Burb - DeadheadNM - too much stuff - bc65 - das601

Old 07-06-2016, 07:16 PM   #733
SS Tim

Quote:

All Good
Coley
IMHO if you have and like a Highlander's trim combination then keep it!
In a sea of fake Cheyenne Supers, a Highlander plaid stands out (good or bad). :-)
Old 07-06-2016, 07:31 PM   #734
SS Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Already Gone View Post
Interesting point Colin. I have original buckets with the console and new foam for my Highlander and next is to order the seat covers. My plan is to order the green plaid covers like used on Blazers but weren't available for pickups. I do have thoughts of maybe going with the scroll parchment seat covers instead or like you the Cheyenne cloth. I'm thinking as I'm scraping the money together for the covers.
Any way you do it the result won't be factory correct.
a couple of poins to remember are that the Blazer Highlander was based on the CST~Cheyenne trim and not the Custom Deluxe as the Pickup and Suburban Highlanders were.
Chevrolet didn't offer bucket seat upgrades on Custom Deluxe pickups. Base truck buckets were offered as well as the Cheyenne and Supers (using Cheyenne vinyle seats).

In fact Highlander Blazers were the only CK series trucks offered with cloth insert buckets. All those Houndstooh buckets are aftermarket creations.

If you simply must install bucket seats, remember the floor cross brace/reinforcement (p/n 3990368) is an important component to bring the floor to factory A50 specs.
Old 07-06-2016, 07:53 PM   #735
jocko

Quote:

All Good
Coley
Once you go plaid, you never go back... Stay plaid! Good question - Plaid is more unique, but that only really counts if you like it. Cheaper to get a Cheyenne Super Custom Cloth (houndstooth) seat cover if $ is the issue. I've had the same thoughts myself - if I ever owned a Custom, for example (i.e. lowest trim), would I stuff in a Custom Cloth seat cover if it needed one. Yes. I am just not a fan of the vinyl - have normally lived in hot places, and got tired of frying the back of my legs. Anyway, for me, if I have a Highlander (and I do), I like to stick with the factory plaid. All comes down to what you want. If you like the houndstooth better, then by all means do get that one. But if on the fence, I'd stick with the cool stock plaid.
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 02:47 AM   #736
Chulisohombre

Stay stick plaid. It looks awesome to me and just stands out more than the plain vinyl.
72 3/4 ton blazer. 5 inch lift on 35 inch tires. 355 corvette engine with crane roller rockers, rv cam, edelbrock carb and intake with one inch spacer. Thrush Headers with flowmaster 40 duels. 4speed sm465 manual. 4 wheel disk brakes with Inboarded rear shock prerunner style mounts and shocks.
Chulisohombre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 04:45 PM   #737
Already Gone
70+ ( Old Skool Club )

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS Tim View Post
The seller is claiming 100,127 and the odo is showing 00127.5

If anyone should get its SPID please post it up here.
As requested, the spid for the yellow/white Highlander. I also have more pics and its as original as they come and still owned by the original owner.
Attached Images

Old 07-10-2016, 06:26 AM   #738
GR8-68

I was told by another member I needed to post this in this thread as it was a highlander, honestly I had not heard about it till yesterday had no idea they existed. I scored this one yesterday off craigslist.

It is easily overlooked that what is now called vintage was once brand new.

"Project 68"

paypal.me/ldgrant
GR8-68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 04:57 PM   #739
rustytruck50

Just bought mine a month ago...was orange with a white top, but now blue & white...trim pkg C....pics coming

'05 RCSB Sierra 2WD
'71 Sierra 2WD Longbed
'98 Silverado K1500 Xcab...sold
'72 Highlander"Raymond"...sold
rustytruck50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 06:02 PM   #740
rustytruck50

20160621_152516.jpg
The plaid is gone, but the SPID tells the tale
Attached Images

'05 RCSB Sierra 2WD
'71 Sierra 2WD Longbed
Old 07-10-2016, 06:06 PM   #741
rustytruck50

2016-07-10 17.09.50.jpg
Attached Images

Last edited by rustytruck50; 07-10-2016 at 06:15 PM.
Old 07-10-2016, 06:23 PM   #742
GR8-68

That looks like factory paint in the pic but the spid says orange red and white. Is there evidence of repaint ?

"Project 68"

paypal.me/ldgrant
Old 07-10-2016, 06:34 PM   #743
rustytruck50

It's definitely been painted...its peeling around the side markers and other areas that are difficult to sand. The interior has been painted to match the exterior. I really like the current colors, but really like the original too.

'05 RCSB Sierra 2WD
'71 Sierra 2WD Longbed

Last edited by rustytruck50; 07-10-2016 at 06:45 PM.
Old 07-10-2016, 08:02 PM   #744
GR8-68

Gotcha, it looks good, looks like mine should I am doing a frame off with mine as my next project. I originally bought it to part but feel it is worth living on.

"Project 68"

paypal.me/ldgrant
Old 07-10-2016, 08:25 PM   #745
rustytruck50

True...anymore, it's worthwhile. They are still out there, but they're getting tougher to find, atleast in the Midwest. Mine needs the usual cab supports, corners, etc and the bed needs a bit of help, but I was sold with the tilt wheel and factory air...I've never had one of these that originally came with tilt. I'm currently using it as a daily driver and still gets the job done.

'05 RCSB Sierra 2WD
'71 Sierra 2WD Longbed
Old 07-10-2016, 08:31 PM   #746
GR8-68

Gave mine a good bath today. Cleaned the 50 lbs of leaves and debris out of the bed. Even found the air conditioner pump brackets buried beneath it all

"Project 68"

paypal.me/ldgrant
Old 07-13-2016, 05:19 PM   #747
Coley

Quick question....(that has probably been asked before):
What about the Blazers?....could you order the highlander package for the blazer models?

all Good
Coley
2000 Dodge Ram 1500
Old 07-13-2016, 05:53 PM   #748
bruceman1968

Quote:
Quick question....(that has probably been asked before):
What about the Blazers?....could you order the highlander package for the blazer models?

all Good
Coley
Yes, Here is the thread that SS Tim has going for Blazer/Jimmy
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=635033
Old 07-15-2016, 12:04 PM   #749
Coley

Smile Re: Do you have a 1972 Plaid Pickup?

Ok, here is another 'Highlander' question:
Was all cab carpeting in the Highlander option always black?....or were they also offered/supplied in color combo's similar to the Cheyenne/Cheyenne Super trucks?
(Backstory....if/as I do a few interior upgrades and renewals, such as the plaid upholstery vs. cheyenne fabric option (not solved on this), I was considering switching to a color keyed carpet in place of the black carpet.
Noting the downside of switching away from black is that every stain, every spill, every mark shows up in the carpet so you start moving away from the 'daily driver' option)

All Good
Coley
2000 Dodge Ram 1500
Old 07-15-2016, 12:33 PM   #750
SS Tim

Quote:
Ok, here is another 'Highlander' question:
Was all cab carpeting in the Highlander option always black?....or were they also offered/supplied in color combo's similar to the Cheyenne/Cheyenne Super trucks?
(Backstory....if/as I do a few interior upgrades and renewals, such as the plaid upholstery vs. cheyenne fabric option (not solved on this), I was considering switching to a color keyed carpet in place of the black carpet.
Noting the downside of switching away from black is that every stain, every spill, every mark shows up in the carpet so you start moving away from the 'daily driver' option)

All Good
Coley
As a "Special Combination" all Highlander Plaid trim codes include black dash pad, steering column (with or without tilt) and carpet. In addition the door panels, visors, console (Blazer only) and seat belts were always parchment (white). Seat vinyl was also parchment and the insert color is determined by the specific trim code. So the ONLY variable color keyed component was the insert color of the seatcovers.