The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-06-2015, 01:50 PM   #1
GMR-PERFORMANCE

Re: 64 Build "The Titanic"

I just came across this very cool. Then I see you are in Denton even better. Being I am just south of you in Keller.. I am sure I will see it some where.. Local guy has a 63 that is Tan , new truck to the area , Love seeing the 60"s running around.
GMR-PERFORMANCE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 10:45 PM   #2
ziplock

Sickfast- That would be great. I'm not your typical hotrodder and neither are my friends. I like meeting people with the same passion for these old trucks.

jcramsey- Preciate it man!

GMR- Thanks for the kind words. As you can see this thing won't be on the road for a while. Would enjoy meeting up one day.

Been really motivated lately. Finished up 90% of the welding on the Z and the notch. Everything's exactly where I want it. Took quit a few tacks, measuring, grinding and redoing to get it perfect but I'm happy.

Started needing pieces from the truck so I started pulling it apart earlier this week. It's down to the frame now, an power washed it this evening. Need to swap the front crossmember and rear end over to the other frame. Then I'll set the engine in and fab up a trans member and add a few more members to the rear section. I've cut out just about all of the factory ones.

ziplock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 12:52 AM   #3
NevEno

Sick! you got me thinking now. Ive got a extra 64 swb frame I might have to get my truck going then work on that frame!!
Old 01-15-2015, 12:01 AM   #4
ziplock

Quote:
Originally Posted by NevEno View Post
Sick! you got me thinking now. Ive got a extra 64 swb frame I might have to get my truck going then work on that frame!!
Thanks man, having an spare frame is the way to go. I was working on this one for at least a month while still driving the other one. Best of both worlds. And when your finished, you still have a spare frame!
Old 01-15-2015, 09:40 AM   #5
Free Candy Inside

Really cool build
Free Candy Inside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 11:35 AM   #6
ziplock

Making progress. Got my lowers cupped and installed. Bags finally installed on all 4 corners.

This is where I'm at now. Installed the engine to start building transmember and other crossmembers around the driveline.

Old 01-26-2015, 11:42 AM   #7
ziplock

Now I am no where near this stage in the build, But i had to see how it was going to look layed out. Looks sick!

As expected Ive got some clearance issues. I will need to build a tunnel the whole length of the cab to allow clearance for the drive line. I will also be looking for another set of tires. Even with the 1" forward on my Z the tires have about an inch between them and the firewall. Going to drop down from a 235/75/15 to a 205/75/15
Old 01-26-2015, 02:56 PM   #8
cheessee

Good looking build!!
cheessee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 12:08 PM   #9
ziplock

I made a lot of progress this weekend. Frame is getting really close to being ready for powdercoat. I just need to fab up some rear shock mounts and my track bar. I will finish welding everything up when I disassemble the frame.

I have discovered a pretty big issue, witch I knew in the back of my mind would cause problems.

With my 3" Z and my Engine trans combo, My driveline now sits well above the frame frame rails.

I didn't take a picture but i set the cab on to test for clearance and the front cleared no problem. The rear hits the driveshaft about 2 inches before resting on its mounts. I guess i'm going to have to cut the back portion of the cab

Right below those spot welds is where i'm going to cut. I have a lot of thinking to do before hand. I will probably run an X brace from corner to corner inside the cab to keep it square. Then make the cut.

If this has been done and documented on the forum before please let me know. I'm open to anyone's opinion.
Old 02-09-2015, 04:29 PM   #10
FrankyV8

Top notch frame work mister!! Gonna look wild when done. What's up with diesel engines I see lately?
FrankyV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 10:42 PM   #11
ziplock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Free Candy Inside View Post
Love it. Things super cool
Thanks man, Your burb is awesome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickoner View Post
Such a cool build!

How did you determine the angle to put the front lower control arms cups. I'm assuming that you'd want it parallel to the upper plate at full drop, right? How deep did you have to make yours?

Thanks, man. Keep up the great work.
Thanks a lot! I just studied pictures of what i thought others had done. I used two inch strap, Built the cups first. Layed them over the arms and traced. After i cut the arms I just layed the cups flush with the top of the arm. It worked out really well. Its square with the upper plate fully compressed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankyV8 View Post
Top notch frame work mister!! Gonna look wild when done. What's up with diesel engines I see lately?
Thanks a lot! I'm a big fan of the diesel engine, always wanted to put one in this truck. I was pumped when i found a decent one i could afford. The older mechanicel ones like this are also just so simple. There is really only one wire. 30mpg when i had the old 4 speed. Ive got an overdrive now. Theres not telling what it will get.
Old 02-12-2015, 10:56 PM   #12
ziplock

Here is the inside of the cab were I had to cut it. Its obviously way over built. I used what I had laying around and It will be hidden so whatever. Its stout! I built everything first and then cut the section out so nothing moved. Doors still open and close perfectly.

I knoked out my track bar this evening. Need to tackly steering tomorrow. I've got 3 of thoes little expensive U joints to play with.

Old 04-27-2015, 08:50 PM   #13
ziplock

Reassembly progress. Everything is going back together great.

Old 05-26-2015, 11:14 AM   #14
ziplock

Lots of progress. another engine overhaul. Installed a new Bosch VE injection pump and replaced all the gaskets, again. Hopefully I wont have any oil leaks this time. No inner finders yet so the hood is just sitting on the truck.

New turbo also.