The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-23-2012, 10:55 AM   #1
GMR-PERFORMANCE

"the 62 flying brick "

Well with all of the pics I got I will start a thread. I have just about 4 years in this due to many things but when I am done I will be running it in the power tour arcoss the USA!!!

This is what I started with. and the tear down. I had all of the parts media balsted so I could have a good base to work from and know what I really had. At that point I had the 383 engine built and the TKO 600 trans in it other than that pretty much how I bought it. The truck was a 283 4 speed from the factory.. as well it had coil overs?? I never say anything that it was anything but a coil over from the factory. I was the 3 rd owner.. Forest service had it first, then a local guy then on to me. My wife bought it for me as a wedding gift in 2006
Attached Images

Last edited by GMR-PERFORMANCE; 03-08-2012 at 10:26 AM.
GMR-PERFORMANCE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 10:59 AM   #2
GMR-PERFORMANCE

Re: 62 long box frame off

Here are the parts coming back from media blast. I shot them all with uphol sealer right away to keep the rust away.. I had almost no rust at all only two small spots, but the amo0unt of huge dents and filler was impressive
Attached Images

Old 02-23-2012, 11:01 AM   #3
GMR-PERFORMANCE

Got started on getting the metal straight , I have to say the 8 foot box was a ton of fun. but all in all it was coming along great.
Attached Images

Old 02-23-2012, 11:03 AM   #4
GMR-PERFORMANCE

The truck was moving along at a great pace at this point. I had the body straight and most items where primed, others where painted and then the rest was jammed. Things where looking up.
Attached Images

Old 02-23-2012, 11:09 AM   #5
GMR-PERFORMANCE

Then in the end of 2009 we had a death in the family. Our son was in the 18 division of the marines and was home for Chirstmas from the middle east. He was killed in a car accident, everything was put on hold for almost two years from that point. This is Chaz while in basic.
Attached Images

Old 02-23-2012, 11:11 AM   #6
GMR-PERFORMANCE

Late 2010 I did start to pick up a few items for the truck but was not doing much. I had Stockton build the 17 inch smoothies and I gathered a few parts for the front end to convert it over to disc brake and power along with power steering.
Old 02-23-2012, 11:54 AM   #7
awbrown

Great build , keep it coming ..
awbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 12:43 PM   #8
GMR-PERFORMANCE

Here I was had the engine installed trans etc, got the new front end parts all put on .. And then I found out that the engine had a broken front snout and was wasted from one end to other

So again the truck sits as I gather more money to build a new engine. My wife all ready to go for a ride.. LOL if I only knew at that time the engine was junk!!! That engine was a 383 that was to have all of the parts I bought .. Long story short when I pulled it apart the shop that had done the work for me at the time, stole everything that I had bought ( inside) and installed a bunch of used junk take out parts!!!

Thus the quest for a new engine, I located a virgin bore 400 block .
Attached Images

Old 02-23-2012, 12:47 PM   #9
GMR-PERFORMANCE

SO I buy my custom CP pistons rods crank etc for the new 406 I am going to build. I run out of cash and go back to getting the rest of the truck together with what I have on hand. Working on getting all the little stuff blasted primed and painted, along with the AAW harness.. Ididit steering the new steering wheel, etc.
Attached Images

Old 02-29-2012, 04:21 PM   #10
GMR-PERFORMANCE

Well I had to pull engine back out and start over that is almost completed now and I have added a few items to the mix.

New DD VHX cluster, a NOS comp dual shot cheater system..

Here are some pics of the NOS system, dash, and the new Alpine head unit.

I should have taken a pic of the tach mount I did. I used 10/32 nut inserts into the a pillar to have a super clean and strong mounting point for the tach/ shift light combo.

Have almost all of the wire harness from AAW installed. Just waiting to drop the new engine into the truck. From there I can finish the engine harness and get the rest of the plumbing done. Will post more pics of the Dart block. Extremely over built compared to the stock GM blocks. Have a new Quick fuel carb coming to replace this demon.
Attached Images

Old 02-29-2012, 04:23 PM   #11
GMR-PERFORMANCE

more pics, At least the wifes dog is ready to go for a ride
Attached Images

Old 02-29-2012, 08:17 PM   #12
GMR-PERFORMANCE

A few more pics of the progress, funny how you get to a ppint then get to take stuff back out and complete the work and then go back and re install it..., at least you are good at it by then..
Attached Images

Old 03-04-2012, 04:37 AM   #13
C@rnut001

I love your truck! Keep up the progress. It should run really well with a 406 sbc in it. Looks like you are getting it very straight too. Keep the updates and pictures coming, as we love seeing how it is going.
C@rnut001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 10:31 AM   #14
GMR-PERFORMANCE

Just more pics on the progress.. Things at this point are picking up. The new dart block is here. I will post upmore pics but here are the specs on the new little SBC.

Dart block
RHS 220 heads ( I ported)
Zero deck, with CP pistons
howards retro roller cam
Smith Bro push rods
MSD dist and 6 AL ign with power grid soon to come
Quick Fuel 4150 carb
Hurricane intake
Compression 11.1 PUMP gas
And a NOS dual shot comp cheater kit for the extra boost.
Attached Images

Old 03-08-2012, 10:38 AM   #15
GMR-PERFORMANCE

Moving along getting done what I can where I can with what parts I have at that time. The AAW is almost in , waiting on the new engine to complete the engine aby harness. I have the hyd clutch set up done as well, dash is complete, tach is in place. Dyna mat layed in. Anything shiny I have taken it and painted or powder coated black. More pics to come.
Attached Images

Last edited by GMR-PERFORMANCE; 03-08-2012 at 10:44 AM.
Old 03-08-2012, 10:50 AM   #16
GMR-PERFORMANCE

I bought some speaker box carpet and used spray adhesive to attach it to he back wall over the dyna mat. I installed riv nuts ( 5/16) into the floot to mount the NOS bottle, added more r ive nuts to the bottle bracket to do away with the nut and bolt deal. I have to say the marson riv nut tool is becoming a handy item.
Attached Images

Old 03-08-2012, 11:03 AM   #17
GMR-PERFORMANCE

New alpine head unit installed. Now to work out the speakers. Works with blue tooth from my smart phone.. Free music via the internet Sure beats the old sound system. I do not think I ever took a pic but it was GHETTO... HA HA home speakers that where screwed to the kick panels with a CD player that had a old CD stuck in it for a few years...
Old 03-08-2012, 01:33 PM   #18
gostranger
65 suburban vortec 5.3 bagged

awesome build the truck looks great!!
gostranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 10:49 AM   #19
GMR-PERFORMANCE

Well Got a few more things done. I live right by center force and I thought since the clutch was out to have them take a look. Glad I did. They upgraded my dual friction from Kelvar/ organic to a kevlar/ kevlar disc, swapped out the cover for a new one to increase clamp load across the rpm range.

Total cost on that 38.65 LOL ,

Bought a new pulley kit at the good guys run.. a March black kit,

And the biggest score for me was I found a set of orginal 1962 plates for my truck ( non commercial) for 60 bucks that are clear. Here in AZ if you have the right year plate you can put it on your vehicle.. My set is from 62 and was only used for one year .. as its has a 63 sticker on it. They are near mint shape!!!!

Was strolling through walmart on sunday and found a speaker box that has two 6 inch subs and two 1.3 inch tweets that fits behind the drivers seats. It was 28.75 for that item. I figured worst case I bought a speaker box only. Well I hooked it up to the alpine head unit and it rocks. I was LMAO about it as I had thought I would need to spend much more to get a speaker box or boxes, Go figure, if the speakers crap out I will upgrade but for now they work just fine.. Will post up a pic of the new stuff.

Last edited by GMR-PERFORMANCE; 03-12-2012 at 08:12 PM.
Old 03-12-2012, 08:03 PM   #20
McMurphy

Wow this build of yours is looking good!

That dyna mat... it looks like bubble wrap in aluminum foil, what is it?
I also really like your steering wheel, that is one sharp looking unit.

Please keep up the photos, will be good to see where you go with this.

And to the site !!!

My 66 Stepside
My 64 Tow Truck
My 66 Tempest

Table Of Contents Added to Page1
McMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 08:08 PM   #21
GMR-PERFORMANCE

What you see is a foil product used for inside the walls of homes. Under that is 100% covered in the D mat. I added the last product to help with heat It cost 21 bucks a roll and I bought tow thinking I would need it. Well it goes a long ways HA HA . I saw it under several hoods at the good guys car show as well. I dont think I will go there with it but I may. I have enough on my plate without adding things to do.

Here is the pic of the wheel with the rest of it together.. , as well I Powered coated my window cranks, door handles for inside and out. The chrome was a bit used up and wanted to save some money..

Thanks for the thumbs up.. I set a goal of June to have the truck done. The engine will be complete this week. Then I will get to drop that in and complete the engine wire harness, new pulley set up and get it all together. From there it should move alone very fast as I have just about all the body work done. All parts are primed, any area that you cannot reach to paint was jammed before I put it together. I have to block out the body, re shoot some areas with primer and it will go to paint.
Attached Images

Last edited by GMR-PERFORMANCE; 03-12-2012 at 08:18 PM.
Old 03-12-2012, 09:24 PM   #22
Alan's Classic
1 thing at a time is progress.

Very nice progress. Also sorry to hear about the death of your son.
Alan's Classic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 10:32 AM   #23
GMR-PERFORMANCE

well last night was rather mild. I turned down a chunk of steel and center drilled it to make a spacer to hold my hyd clutch reservoir. That item is off a 2006 sportster for the rear brake. Had to have something with the bar and shield on it.

I have not mounted the box yet but like I said it fits!!!
Attached Images

Old 03-14-2012, 04:36 PM   #24
GMR-PERFORMANCE

WOOOO HOOOOO the engine is done!!! Will start tonight on getting the bell housing clutch and trans bolted up.. Waiting on the new aluminum water pump and March balck pulley kit. But this is a very good start.
Attached Images

Old 03-19-2012, 11:00 AM   #25
GMR-PERFORMANCE

Well I got ready to install the oil pan gasket and found out the tin chain cover had broken two spot welds to hold the front seal in. Thus I had to get a new cover. IT is cast and then had to go through the cam button set up deal. Got that done and was able to get the engine dropped in by Sat 3 PM and then get ready for my buddys wedding.. Just made it HA HA

The guy in the pic is not me thats a great buddy that has been giving me a hand. for the last several years as this project rolls along. We spend Sat's working.. Thanks Mark.

I have to plumb the fuel system, wire it, get the cooling system in, and complete the NOS install headers ets.. WOW the list is longer than I want. so lets leave it at that for now.

I got to look at how it will sit for ride height with the new engine in.. I was not sure where it would be. Looks good I am sure it will settle a bit once the springs gets some time on them. Nice rake though.

Hey Ed your falling behind you gotta catch up.. well really its good for you as I am just ahead and when you have questions I can still recall what I did.. Just leave the back of the cab alone ok...
Attached Images