The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-10-2012, 09:21 AM   #1
DevilDog Aggie

Showing my ignorance!

I am waiting on a package from Cliff to rebuild my Quadrajet tonight/tomorrow. While I was working on checking for vacuum leaks, ignition problems etc, I noticed a pull handle in the cab next to the parking brake. Hadn't noticed it before. Not really sure how, since every time I get in the cab, it is right there.

I assume it is for the choke?? I guess my biggest question is, what position should it be in for starting and then running? In to start, out to run? or vice versa.

DevilDog Aggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 10:22 AM   #2
DevilDog Aggie

Re: Showing my ignorance!

Here are some pics. It has a divorced choke, if that makes a difference.
Attached Images

Old 08-10-2012, 10:27 AM   #3
dubds10
Stalker Nate

You talking about the black knob which is the vent lever or the white handle which is the ebrake release? If you have a stock choke hooked up still it's be on the top right of the gauge cluster or beside it in that area. I've seen a couple different locations as people change them around over the years.

Instagram - TheDonutDiner
FaceBook - @UscreamIscream
dubds10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 10:46 AM   #4
DevilDog Aggie

DUH!!!! Like I said, showing my ignorance!!!! I guess the good thing is I am not afraid to admit what I don't know and ask for help! :-) I was shooting in the dark with the lever when I saw it. When I noticed it, I was getting pretty flustrated with her and didn't even bother to look under the dash. Looking at the pic my wife just sent, it is obvious!! Explains why I can't find it in any of my books! No pulls on the dash at all. Having a problem with her stalling when you put her in gear. She will run like a top in park and level. But put her on an incline or in gear and she bogs down and dies. Replaced the HEI cap/rotor/capacitor/module/coil/wires/plugs, checked for vacuum leaks, etc but still get the same result. That is why I was leaning towards the carb rebuild. Thought maybe it might be a float issue.
Old 08-10-2012, 11:15 AM   #5
dubds10
Stalker Nate

That could be anything from simple adjustment problems to a bad tranny. Does it do it in all gears? R, N, D, 1, 2?? This should probably be moved to the regular forum though not in the projects forum. I had a tranny go on me and it ran great in P and N lol But in any gears the car just died. That's when I knew the tranny finally gave up on me haha Cycle it through the gears on flat land and see what the vehicle does as well.

Instagram - TheDonutDiner
FaceBook - @UscreamIscream
dubds10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 11:54 AM   #6
DevilDog Aggie

Thanks! It basically does it in all gears except P/N. I pulled the tranny cover and replaced filter and fluid and just did a base visual inspection of what I could see. Granted, not much, but there were no filings or pieces in the old fluid or filter. I am in the process of getting her running so I can start rebuilding a little at a time. But if it needs to move, no problem here!