The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-21-2013, 01:02 AM   #1
JTRACEY

47 3100 Bagged S10 Chassis Swap

Well I decided to get out of the mini truck game, and try my luck at something different... My wife's wanted an old truck for a while, and I finally decided to sell my bagged s10, and try my luck at bagging an AD... My buddy has a 49, and I have drooled over it for years...At the begining of December the story starts...

Sold this

The story goes, my wifes old man happened to have a 47 3600 flatbed that he wouldnt sell me, but insisted on giving it to my wife since he said he is never going to do anything with it... I dont have any pics of it at the moment because it is still at his house...

In the meantime I bought a 52 3100 on craigslist for $720 sitting on an s10 chassis, but nothing was done... I basically bought it for the bed.

After that I picked up a small blocked 85 s10 longbed on craigslist for $500

Yanked the cab/bed off and hauled them to the scrapper

Got a killer deal on some wheels/rings/spider caps from my neighbor for $250

First things first, bought a round notch, 4 link, some bags, bag mounts, tubular upper arms, some steel to make a 4 link crossmember and cab mounts.

Shaved my rearend

Dehumped my lower control arms

And here was a test fit on the notch, and how it sits when I came upstairs tonight...

I hope to have the 4link welded up, and bag brackets done next weekend so I can start making the cab mounts... been a long few weekends, but it will pay off this summer... Hope to have it running/driving by the end of June...
JTRACEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 02:30 AM   #2
Daze57

Re: 47 3100 S10 Chassis Swap

very nice work !
Daze57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 02:38 AM   #3
JTRACEY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daze57 View Post
very nice work !

Thanks!
Old 01-21-2013, 06:44 AM   #4
63 & 64 Bowties
and a few others

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTRACEY View Post
Shaved my rearend
Ouch, be careful not to cut yourself

to the forum
Sounds like you got some killer deals on just about everything. I really like the wheels.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” Gandhi
63 & 64 Bowties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 10:34 AM   #5
Coach529

Looks great......

"Adventures of Henry"

http://smu.gs/QOlhWY
Coach529 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 11:23 PM   #6
JTRACEY

Thanks everyone...

Well after I put my dehumped lower arms on I m still an inch from laying up front so some drop spindles are on the list of things to buy... Little bummed about it, but i am also gonna be laying a 26.75 in tire so I kind of expected that I was going to need them...

I also had a problem with the way i wanted to run my 4-link, so I ordered an s10 differential mount from Ricky at Suicide Doors so I can mount it on top of the differential...
Old 01-22-2013, 01:34 AM   #7
sirwilliam

You have a great start man! First thing I see I can help you out with is the motor mounts. I made my own, but the adapters that are on it to move the motor forward, You are gonna want to flip those the other way to move you motor back. Good luck!
sirwilliam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 11:41 AM   #8
98layinframe

Dont worry about laying the frame out! If its one inch off the ground thats fine! The body of the AD will end up with the running boards lower then the frame anyways.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-22-2013, 01:49 PM   #9
JTRACEY

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirwilliam View Post
You have a great start man! First thing I see I can help you out with is the motor mounts. I made my own, but the adapters that are on it to move the motor forward, You are gonna want to flip those the other way to move you motor back. Good luck!
Im most likely going to end up with differrent mounts... Its funny you sais that though because my buddy told me the same thing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98layinframe View Post
Dont worry about laying the frame out! If its one inch off the ground thats fine! The body of the AD will end up with the running boards lower then the frame anyways.
Posted via Mobile Device
The cab is going to sit wherever I make the cab mounts sit, which is going to be with the running boards sitting flush with the bottom of the frame...

I was going to leave it, but I dont want to have to compensating the inch in the front cab mount because then nothing would look square...who knows... I may change my mind
Old 01-24-2013, 10:01 PM   #10
JakeDW

About time to get back out there and get some more done.

Jake
Posted via Mobile Device
JakeDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 08:44 AM   #11
xpickup

JTRACEY, good job. The S10 truck you are using looks like it was a good looking to to start with.

Shannon
xpickup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 10:21 AM   #12
63 & 64 Bowties
and a few others

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirwilliam View Post
You are gonna want to flip those the other way to move you motor back. Good luck!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTRACEY View Post
Im most likely going to end up with differrent mounts... Its funny you sais that though because my buddy told me the same thing.
Like sirwilliam said, just use the S-10 mounts. Turn everything upside down, swap them left to right....

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” Gandhi
63 & 64 Bowties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 05:11 PM   #13
48ChevBagged

Looks like a good start. With the notch and the dehump you should lay running boards no problem. You should be able to leave your cab up higher than some others you see on here(like mine) where you don't have to build such a huge hump or even a tunnel for your tans and drive shaft to clear. Keep the Pictures coming and good luck with your build.
48ChevBagged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 05:17 AM   #14
JTRACEY

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeDW View Post
About time to get back out there and get some more done.

Jake
Posted via Mobile Device
To keep up with you I know...

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpickup View Post
JTRACEY, good job. The S10 truck you are using looks like it was a good looking to to start with.

Shannon
Thanks! Dont get it confused, it was a rusted pile of ****. Not to mention the 90's half assed tilt front end, molded firebird tail lights, and rusted floor boards... Motor sounded healthy and it drove, so I was all over it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 63 & 64 Bowties View Post
Like sirwilliam said, just use the S-10 mounts. Turn everything upside down, swap them left to right....
I looked into it a little more tonight, and I think that is exactly what I am going to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 48ChevBagged View Post
Looks like a good start. With the notch and the dehump you should lay running boards no problem. You should be able to leave your cab up higher than some others you see on here(like mine) where you don't have to build such a huge hump or even a tunnel for your tans and drive shaft to clear. Keep the Pictures coming and good luck with your build.
I got some drop spindles and installed them tonight, I will get some pics uploaded tomorrow when its light outside... Waiting on my differential bracket to start the 4 link, then I think its time to start fabbing up the cab mounts, and running board mounts...
Old 01-29-2013, 03:32 PM   #15
JTRACEY

here is a pic with a nice clean garage and the drop spindles on...

And this came in the mail today, so I will get to put my 4 link on this weekend!

Old 02-05-2013, 01:01 AM   #16
JTRACEY

Well, I got a lot accomplished this weekend... I got my 4 link in and tacked up, as well as my bag brackets... I cycled the suspension a few times to make sure everything stayed where it needed to... I also started to fab up my crossmember, bought some 3/16" plate so I can plate my frame from my notch to roughly 6" past my upper 4 link tab..

Old 02-07-2013, 09:26 PM   #17
cleanshaven84

Thanks for the help JTRACEY on my post. Going to keep an eye on this and probably refer back to this build as I work on mine.

And I meant to ask, is that 4-link from SD.com? I ordered the same one from them but its been close to 2 weeks since I ordered it. I haven't heard anything from them. How long did it take to get your link in?

Currently working on S-10 chassis swap.

Philippians 4:13 - "I can do all things through him who strengthens me."
cleanshaven84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 02:23 AM   #18
JTRACEY

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleanshaven84 View Post
Thanks for the help JTRACEY on my post. Going to keep an eye on this and probably refer back to this build as I work on mine.

And I meant to ask, is that 4-link from SD.com? I ordered the same one from them but its been close to 2 weeks since I ordered it. I haven't heard anything from them. How long did it take to get your link in?
Nope, I ordered a universal 4 link off ebay for the simple fact that it was cheaper to begin with... $250ish, but I soon realized that the way I wanted to run my upper bars wasnt going to work because of where I was mounting my bags. I did order the rear differential bracket from SD. They are super bad ass to deal with, but the fact that everything is custom made to order sucks... It took 2 weeks to get my diff bracket... But on the positive side to that, I had them leave the 4 link tabs off and throw them in the box so I could put them at the angle I wanted... $150 for that, I should have bit the bullet and bought the damned bolt on kit...
Old 02-12-2013, 03:42 PM   #19
JTRACEY

Re: 47 3100 Bagged S10 Chassis Swap

Finially got all of the rear welded up, crossmember finished and welded in, and boxed my frame this weekend... Special thanks to my buddy Jake next door for the low profile crossmember idea... I spent a few days contemplating on what I wanted to do, but wanted to keep it out of the bed for future plans of not having to raise the bed floor too high

Now next weekend I get to put the cab on for the first time for fitment to start measuring up for cab mounts...

Old 02-12-2013, 03:50 PM   #20
LEEVON

Nice start! I like what you're doing with everything, simple and functional...the round notch, bag-over-axle, 4-link. Can't wait to see it done. Are you going to use the cab from the truck you bought? If you're looking for parts there is a good stash in Clinton, MO on Springfield Craigslist right now.
Old 02-12-2013, 09:42 PM   #21
JTRACEY

Thanks LEEVON! Thats what I was going for!

If you are refering to these parts...http://springfield.craigslist.org/pts/3598679551.html

Skymang and I went and cleaned out his stash...I picked up a set of running boards, rear fenders, and grille. He bought the complete red bed and fenders and some other parts... I think the only thing he had left when I left was a hood and 2 front fenders...

Im undecided if I am going to use the cab I bought, or sell it... I would like to think I am going to build another one when Im done with this one so my wife and I can both have one...
Old 02-14-2013, 12:14 AM   #22
JTRACEY

Well after a couple long months working on the chassis, I needed a little visual motivation and switched gears to start fitting the cab for the mounts... I ended up doing a little more than just that. I had to trim the bedsides to get them down where I wanted/needed them to fit. I also wanted to mount up a front fender to see what it was going to look like on the ground...

Old 02-15-2013, 10:19 PM   #23
JakeDW

Lookin like something now

Jake
Posted via Mobile Device
JakeDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 11:01 PM   #24
xpickup

JTRACEY, Looks great. That is laid out!

Shannon
xpickup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 12:40 AM   #25
JTRACEY

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeDW View Post
Lookin like something now

Jake
Posted via Mobile Device
Yes sir!

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpickup View Post
JTRACEY, Looks great. That is laid out!

Shannon
Thanks Shannon! Now if I could get rid of this damn head cold so I could get down in the garage and tackle these cab mounts.
Posted via Mobile Device