The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-21-2015, 06:59 PM   #1
saddletramp

72 Sierra Grande

Hi Folks ? Ive got a 72 Sierra Grande the front fender emblems say GMC 1500V 8 should they say GMC SIerra Grande whats the differance ? is mine a true sierra grande?,THanks
saddletramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 09:18 PM   #2
special-K
Special Order

Re: 72 Sierra Grande

Quote:
Originally Posted by saddletramp View Post
Hi Folks ? Ive got a 72 Sierra Grande the front fender emblems say GMC 1500V 8 should they say GMC SIerra Grande whats the differance ? is mine a true sierra grande?,THanks
If it's a '72 Sierra Grande the right emblem would have that on it and it would have, or used to have, a big script emblem near the rear of the bedside. The way to know if it's a real sierra grande is on the SPID, or option list, on the glovebox door it will be listed as RPO YE9. The emblem on there now is for a standard level truck with V8

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~

Last edited by special-K; 05-23-2015 at 09:15 AM.
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 07:20 AM   #3
saddletramp

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
If it's a '72 Sierra Grande the right emblem would have that on it and it would have, or used to have, a big script emblem near the rear of the bedside. The way to know if it's a real sierra grande is on the SPID, or option list, on the glovebox door it will be listed as RPO YE9. The emblem on there now is for a standard level truck with V8 option
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-22-2015, 07:23 AM   #4
saddletramp

Quote:
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-22-2015, 09:55 AM   #5
saddletramp

Quote:
If it's a '72 Sierra Grande the right emblem would have that on it and it would have, or used to have, a big script emblem near the rear of the bedside. The way to know if it's a real sierra grande is on the SPID, or option list, on the glovebox door it will be listed as RPO YE9. The emblem on there now is for a standard level truck with V8 option
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-22-2015, 09:58 AM   #6
saddletramp

Hi special-k Thanks for the info the passenger side emblem has sierra geande on it drivers side emblem has GMC1500V8 on it is that the way it spouse to be ?.72 sierra grande
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-22-2015, 12:45 PM   #7
MARKDTN

Could have been wrecked and had a fender replaced. What does the SDID say?
'07 Tahoe(Son driving)
'14 Suburban-DD
'71 C10-current project
MARKDTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 01:43 PM   #8
saddletramp

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARKDTN View Post
Could have been wrecked and had a fender replaced. What does the SDID say?
Hello ill check it out tonight when i get home and send them to you.Thanks 72 Sierra Grande
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-22-2015, 03:29 PM   #9
GobbleStalker
GobbleStalker Calls

The GMC1500V8 might be a Canadian version?
09 GMC Sierra SLT All Terrain pkg.
2014 Jeep Wrangler Sahara unlimited. ( The wifes ride )
GobbleStalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 09:20 AM   #10
special-K
Special Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by GobbleStalker View Post
The GMC1500V8 might be a Canadian version?
From my previous reply:
Quote:
The emblem on there now is for a standard level truck with V8
So, does this truck now have the big script Sierra Grande emblems on the bedsides? Many are gone after a repaint. On your SPID it may say Sierra Grande with the Z84 code, which will actually be a Sierra. There are other ways to tell, but let's start with these answers. You original seat, if it is still there, will be herringbone

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
Old 05-23-2015, 09:34 AM   #11
saddletramp

Quote:
From my previous reply:

So, does this truck now have the big script Sierra Grande emblems on the bedsides? Many are gone after a repaint. On your SPID it may say Sierra Grande with the Z84 code, which will actually be a Sierra. There are other ways to tell, but let's start with these answers. You original seat, if it is still there, will be herringbone
Morning Sir it does have sierra grande on the bed both sides in the back my spid says Cheyenne super with the code YE9 but sierra grande in on the glove box and passenger sude fender emblem says GMCSierra Grande.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-23-2015, 11:41 AM   #12
undertaker72

saddletramp , enclosed is a copy of my sierra grande with the spid
Attached Images

undertaker72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 11:49 AM   #13
saddletramp

Quote:
Originally Posted by undertaker72 View Post
saddletramp , enclosed is a copy of my sierra grande with the spid
Why do you think mine says Cheyenne super when sierra grande all over it maybe it was msde on a Friday? .72 sierra Grande
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-23-2015, 11:56 AM   #14
too much stuff
Roadtrip!

Quote:
Why do you think mine says Cheyenne super when sierra grande all over it maybe it was msde on a Friday? .72 sierra Grande
Posted via Mobile Device
The ye9 code is what you go off of. Cheyenne super and sierra grande are basically the same thing. Quite common to see cheyenne super on a gmc glovebox door. Sounds like you have a sierra grande truck.
70 4x4/BB/bkts/posi/tach(retired)
70 swb (wifes)
70 jimmy camper
71 K-5 factory 2wd
71 cheyenne 4x4/tach/posi/ plow rig
71 Cheyenne20 BB, buckets, tach, tilt, 4 speed
72 jimmy CST wyoming rig
72 jimmy Colorado rig
72 lifted texas 4x4 3/4 ton burb
65 fury conv. 383/auto
65 chrysler 300 "L" 413 auto
too much stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 11:58 AM   #15
undertaker72

Quote:
Posted via Mobile Device
some times I think it has to do with the plant it was built at , ive seen them with the Cheyenne listed also , sstim , can help with more info , he is a wealth of info with options and stats , sounds like you have a nice truck and like a couple said you might have a had fender changed at some time 43 years back was I while to remember , but I can remember putting playing cards in my spokes on my bike vroooom talk to you later kevin
Old 05-23-2015, 01:19 PM   #16
saddletramp

Quote:
some times I think it has to do with the plant it was built at , ive seen them with the Cheyenne listed also , sstim , can help with more info , he is a wealth of info with options and stats , sounds like you have a nice truck and like a couple said you might have a had fender changed at some time 43 years back was I while to remember , but I can remember putting playing cards in my spokes on my bike vroooom talk to you later kevin
Thank you LOL Next time you a chance how do you post pictures on this site?Thanks again
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-24-2015, 07:32 AM   #17
special-K
Special Order

Looks like the one fender badge was replaces (or whole fender) and you have a true Sierra Grande. They did a few funny things on description, but the code tells the truth. My Sierra (Z84) says Sierra Grande. My '71 Cheyenne with a 402 said Custom Sport Truck with 396. Still has Z84 code, only the name changed...or not

Tim

Old 05-24-2015, 08:13 AM   #18
saddletramp

Quote:
Looks like the one fender badge was replaces (or whole fender) and you have a true Sierra Grande. They did a few funny things on description, but the code tells the truth. My Sierra (Z84) says Sierra Grande. My '71 Cheyenne with a 402 said Custom Sport Truck with 396. Still has Z84 code, only the name changed...or not
Morning Special K your awesome thanks so much for the info im driving my truvk tight now on the weekends im going to start tareing her down in the fall complete restoration Thanks again. talk at ta soon Sadfle Tramp
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-24-2015, 09:08 AM   #19
undertaker72

Quote:
Thank you LOL Next time you a chance how do you post pictures on this site?Thanks again
Posted via Mobile Device
saddletramp, there are a couple ways to post the pics and Im not the best some of the more better computer guys know the real secrets , anyway when you open your post there are icons up in the top just go to the little paper clip icon or (attachment) a menu will pop up in a other screen letting you view or choose your photos or documents from your files , pic your item, and hit download or load , it is best to load them one at a time , there are 5 to a page capabilities but loading more than one will kick back with a error , and its best if you can size your pics to the proper size also there are other links to photo attachments in fourums and quick links , but give it a try just do as a test and then you can delete after or we can see your pics , and I have learned ask questions , this is a very helpful site and world of knowledgeable people are in it talk to you later kevin
Old 05-24-2015, 09:32 AM   #20
saddletramp

Quote:
saddletramp, there are a couple ways to post the pics and Im not the best some of the more better computer guys know the real secrets , anyway when you open your post there are icons up in the top just go to the little paper clip icon or (attachment) a menu will pop up in a other screen letting you view or choose your photos or documents from your files , pic your item, and hit download or load , it is best to load them one at a time , there are 5 to a page capabilities but loading more than one will kick back with a error , and its best if you can size your pics to the proper size also there are other links to photo attachments in fourums and quick links , but give it a try just do as a test and then you can delete after or we can see your pics , and I have learned ask questions , this is a very helpful site and world of knowledgeable people are in it talk to you later kevin
Morning Sir ill try it you have been very helpful Thanks so much Have a wonderful memorial Day.Saddle Tramp
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-24-2015, 02:26 PM   #21
undertaker72

Quote:
Morning Sir ill try it you have been very helpful Thanks so much Have a wonderful memorial Day.Saddle Tramp
Posted via Mobile Device
you and your family also
Old 08-11-2015, 08:42 AM   #22
tk1251k

My 72 Sierra Grande has Cheyenne Super on the glove box sticker but it is a true Sierra Grande and also has the Sierra Grande emblem on the glove box.I bought it in 80 from the original owner.I have never understood why the blue trim on the glove box never matched the blue on the rest of the truck though. Its a darker blue not the Hawiian Blue I think the rest of the truck is called.
tk1251k is offline   Reply With Quote