The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-23-2011, 09:04 PM   #26
72 cheyenne pdx

Re: Is your Classic truck a CLASSIC?

Quote:
you do not have to carry any car insurance when driving on public streets. I carry copies of the RCW’s ( State Laws) in my glove box for the cops when I get pulled over. They get really pissed when I don’t pony up insurance and just tell them that the law does not apply to me. I’m exempt from that silly Law.

That seems odd that you don't have to carry insurance on Collector vehicles.... I understand if it never saw a road, but if it saw any amount of driving on public roads, I would think insurance is a must. Are they thinking that Collector vehicle owners are more responsible and drive better in that car than in a newer vehicle?

I looked into here in Oregon and I didn't see any benefits to it at the time. I do have to register my truck every two years, but it is not too bad, and I am DEQ exempt, so I don't have to pay that either.
72 cheyenne pdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 09:25 PM   #27
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

SEMA has been instrumental in helping to not get the current law changed in WA State for the worse. As a matter of fact, they have helped to make the law a little more friendly for the collector vehicle owners.

However the same rules apply for not having it as a daily driver, etc... are still in place. Every stinkin' cragslist ad I seen in WA State that says "car is old enough to have collector plates, so never buy license tabs again." makes me cringe. There are a lot abusing it.

The lawmakes don't lay awake at night worrying about it... but they do think of new ways to generate revenue in this godforsaken state... sticking it to the collectors is just too easy.

Thanks SEMA for steppin' up and helping... I too contacted all the people in the list from RedBlazer as well.

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 09:31 PM   #28
swierker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torrey72 View Post
interesting? Here in the states you can modify a classic licenced auto with any street legal part without loosing your classic status. Well, all the states I am aware of anyway.
I guess you don't know about Pennsylvania. To get antique plates (older than 25 years) the vehicle needs to be in stock condition. They are pretty strict on this, I got rejected years ago because my wheels were not stock. Now to your point they don't mention anything about modifiying it after you already have the plates.

Classic tags can be had for vehicles over 15 years but still require the annual safety inspection.

There are also custom built/street rod plates as well.
Old 02-23-2011, 09:47 PM   #29
CG
BlahBlahBlah

I dont have them and never will. I like driving my older cars whenever I want and without restrictions. I also carry full coverage insurance on all my vehicles.

This was kind of a neat thing the state offered and its been totally taken advantage of. I dont blame them for wanting to change up the rules (even if its a revenue thing). Breaking the rules and thumbing your nose proudly at the state makes zero sense to me.

Edit: I better add, this isnt a slam on anyone, its just my opinion. One of my very good buds goes this route with his plates and I give him crap about it, but in a friend jabbing a friend way.

Last edited by CG; 02-23-2011 at 10:07 PM.
CG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 10:01 PM   #30
ETsC10
Hand Crafted C-10

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlazinC5 View Post
I have been thinking about the collectors plates too. But one other thing with wa rigs is I believe that you can only licence one vehicle as a collector per person. I don't know for sure but I read something on the DOL a while back that I thought said that.
I have 4 vehicles wearing CV plates so it may have been
legislation that has been changed.

I'm personally glad we have the option. I doubt I've put
more than 50 miles between three of my CV registered
vehicles (combined) in the past two years.

Keep in mind that you do have to have current tabs to
transfer to a CV registration. If they're expired, you have
to pay for new tabs+the CV plates.
ETsC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 10:57 PM   #31
ChevLoRay
Old Skool Club

In Arkansas, we have Antique tags for vehicles 25 years and older, IF you have another vehicle that is registered normally. There is supposed to be restrictions on when and how much you drive 'em, but there are a buttload of 'em on the road. It's weird to see an '86, carrying Antique tags. Think about the '86 model vehicles. The antique tag I have cost me $7.50...one time charge.

We also have Street Rod tags. They carry a $25 premium over the regular price of the weight-driven price tag, and must be renewed each year.

Antique tags are abused in Arkansas. I wish we had a Street Machine tag, and the antique tags were just for vehicles manufactured more than 50 years ago.

Collector tags could be for those vehicles 25 years old and street-driven.

No, I don't make the laws and I'm not in politics.

'96 GMC Sportside; 4.3/SLT - Daily driven....constantly needs washed.

'69 C-10 SWB; 350/TH400 - in limbo

The older I get, the better I was.
ChevLoRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 11:10 PM   #32
AusTx68

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateK4340 View Post
Mine is registered as a classic here in Texas with YOM plates. My main reason for classic registration was so that I could run YOM license plates. Thats about the only perk that came with classic registration at the time. Now the laws have changed and YOM plates can only be used with antique registration that does not allow the vehicle to be driven daily.
I did the same thing for the same reason. I heard the Texas laws changed this year. Does that mean next year we have to register as Antique to keep your YOM plates?? I'm thinking we are grandfathered in.
Old 02-23-2011, 11:19 PM   #33
68GMCCustom
Truck and auto performance nut

Mines registered as an antique. Hasn't been on the road in a year tho so I guess I wasted one of my tags 5 years...but its getting close! This weekend or next!

'68 GMC short step - NIB '09 LY6 6.0L crate motor w/mods, NIB '12 crate 4L85e w/billet 3k stall Circle D, 3.73 posi 12 bolt, DynaTech f-swap headers, 3/4 drop, handling mods, etc. - my toy
'72 Chevy LWB C-10 Highlander - 350/350 ps/pb/tilt/ac - not original but close
'06 Chevy TrailBlazerSS - LS2/4L70e - little black hot rod SUV - my DD
'18 Kia Sorento - wife's econo-driver
'95 Chevy S10 - reg cab shortbed, LS, 4.3, auto...

my '68's powertrain and chassis build -links broken
A surprise phase - carb to efi -links broken
68GMCCustom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 11:37 PM   #34
flashed

I had 6 vehicles with classic tags until this year when the state of Georgia decided to charge an additional $35 fee plus the regular tag fee .I turned all 6 back in and told them they could keep them .Not only do they have to give us a free replacement plate (we already paid for the other ones) ,they cant re-issue the ones being turned in .It appears from news releases they are losing alot of money instead of making it because most classic owners are turning them back in. It backfired on them.
flashed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 12:16 AM   #35
Forum4130rl

I've got the collectors plates on mine here in Colorado, and from what I can tell the only thing they do is allow you to go 5 years between renewal, and getting the emissions test crap. They cost a bit more, but there aren't any restrictions on driving or anything like that.

To tell the truth, I don't even know why I got them... Was kind of a spur of the moment thing when the DMV offered them to me. I drive my truck to work and around town probably 4 days a week when the weather is nice, so if there was any kind of driving restriction, there's no way I would have got them.

Colorado also has a Horseless Carriage plate along with the Collectors plate, it has some restrictions along with it as far as driving... I've seen them around, but had to do some research about them to see what they were all about. Here's a link to the special plates that Colorado offers if anyone is interested... You can just scroll down the page and it explains them all.

http://www.colorado.gov/cs/Satellite.../1185870965443
Forum4130rl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 03:38 AM   #36
Torrey72
Rollin in my K5 toaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72 cheyenne pdx View Post
That seems odd that you don't have to carry insurance on Collector vehicles.... I understand if it never saw a road, but if it saw any amount of driving on public roads, I would think insurance is a must. Are they thinking that Collector vehicle owners are more responsible and drive better in that car than in a newer vehicle?

I looked into here in Oregon and I didn't see any benefits to it at the time. I do have to register my truck every two years, but it is not too bad, and I am DEQ exempt, so I don't have to pay that either.
To start off. I do cover and carry insurance on all my cars. I just hold it back from showing the cops. Sorry, I get a little joy out of the reaction I get. The truth is that most Washington police officers are not aware of this. They always pull me over whenever I drive my 69 Camaro. Never the Blazer? The Plate’s # is listed under the Equipment # location and not the plate # location on my registration. When the plate is “run” by the police the camaro doesn’t show up? I have tried to have it fixed but it is the way it is supposed to be? This is true for all Washington state collector plated cars. When you use an old era correct green and white plate. Trust me, Look at your registration under the Plate # and Equipment # if you’re a WA, Collector plate guy. For the officers, I carry copies of the RCW’s (LAWs) in the glove box. Trust me, they absolutely love being schooled on the laws they enforce. The law is written with the same provision and understanding that covers Motorcycles in the state of Washington. The state feels that a classic or motorcycle gets driven so infrequently in our rainy state. That demanding insurance is a unreasonable request to make on collectors that might have several vehicles and or never drive them but six times a year.

Under the law “RCW 46.30.020 Liability insurance” At the bottom of the law is listed defined circumstances that exempt you from needing insurance… It reads…

(3) The provisions of this chapter shall not govern:
(a) The operation of a motor vehicle registered under RCW 46.16.305(1)

When you look up RCW “46.16.305” you will find section (1) that states…

(1) A horseless carriage plate and a plate or plates issued for collectors' vehicles more than thirty years old, upon payment of the initial fees required by law and the additional special license plate fee established by the department, are valid for the life of the vehicle for which application is approved by the department. When a single plate is issued, it shall be displayed on the rear of the vehicle.

So… Liability insurance is not required by law for collector vehicles.

If your into the motorcycle rule it is…

RCW 46.30.020 Liability insurance,
(3) The provisions of this chapter shall not govern:
(b) The operation of a motorcycle as defined in RCW 46.04.330, a motor-driven cycle as defined in RCW 46.04.332, or a moped as defined in RCW 46.04.304.

P.S. My 63 Impala has no seatbelts. Nor do I need them under the Wa, state seat belt law due to it‘s age. You should see the cops jump up and down over that one.
Cop: “No seat belts! No Insurance! Do you think the laws don’t apply to you?”
Torrey: (with a big smile on my face) “No Sir, No I don’t.”
Torrey72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 06:10 AM   #37
sstone69

Like flashed said, in Georgia to register the new truck I just got as an antique. It would cost $80 initially and then an additional $35 per year to register it as an antique. They treat them like vanity tags. I just paid the $20 and got just a regular tag. I didn't want to pay the state extra for something that didn't benefit me any.
Old 02-24-2011, 06:14 AM   #38
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

Horseless Carriage and Collector Vehicle in WA State are 2 completely different animasl in regards to the law.

I will not register my truck under the Collector Vehicle title, because i love to drive my truck. Also... driving without insurance just because the law "allows" you to is just plain silly.

Just to get a rise out of a cop... Seriously?

Meh... Too many cats wanna bend the rules. Then wonder why the state is constantly wanting to change the law.

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.

Last edited by GASoline71; 02-24-2011 at 06:14 AM.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 01:06 PM   #39
NateK4340

Quote:
Originally Posted by AusTx68 View Post
I did the same thing for the same reason. I heard the Texas laws changed this year. Does that mean next year we have to register as Antique to keep your YOM plates?? I'm thinking we are grandfathered in.
Yes sir, we are grandfathered in as long as you never let your classic registration expire.

In the Garage:
'02 Silverado Ext. Cab Z71 5.3l
'70 C20 Longstep 402BB
NateK4340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 01:26 PM   #40
KEL
72 GMC

Antique plates here in Maine.
No restrictions.
No inspection.
KEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 01:33 PM   #41
Christiansok

Wisconsin has some pretty loose collector plate laws and I think they get abused because of it.

To qualify for "Collector" plates you need:
Another registered vehicle
20 years old
Can't drive during the month of January (but you can purchase a pass for 5 days or the whole month if you wanted)
Trucks can't haul more than 500 lbs
One time fee
The number assigned to you stays with you, if you get another collector A,B,C etc are added on. If you sell it you keep your plates for your next collector to avoid fees.

"Hobbyist" plates are similar but more relaxed on modifications.
"Antique" are pre-1945 and can only be driven on special occasions (car shows, parades, etc)

So with the collector plate laws you see a lot of crappy 1988/1989/1990 beat up cars driving around in the snow during November/December...gone in January, then they come back out again in Febuary. Everytime I see these rust buckets I don't really think of them as a "collector". I have regular plates on mine because its my only vehicle, my daily driver and I drive it year round.
Christiansok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 02:29 PM   #42
special-K
Special Order

I guess my '72 isn't a classic. I still have regular tags. It doesn't cost that much to insure anyway. In Maryland the biggest advantage is at time of purchase/title transfer because that's the only time we have safety inspections. So,if you go with historic tags you get around that,which is a strict one since it's a one time deal and to assure there is no crooked sale of a dangerous vehicle to an unknowing buyer. We have restrictions but they are not really enforced at this point. We can now register historic at 20 years old. It was 25. The DMV doesn't seem to care about originality,but for heavily modified vehiclse they offer street rod tags. I think you have to show at least 18 modifications,which really add up quick when you figure anything not original in the mechanics department...HEI,bigger tires,wheels,shocks,brake pads,exhaust,mufflers,headers,carb,air cleaner...This is intended for pro-street,t-buckets,and other stuff that isn't even trying to be close to original and really not what you'd expect to see as street legal. Basically,if you want to drive a race car on the street you have to wait four it to be 20 years old. Pretty much includes about anything worthwhile already. with historic,although there is no safety inspection,the vehicle is expected to have whatever safety equipment that came with it and you can recieve a repair order just like anything else...except a street rod
Insurance is one thing and DMV is another. The DMV doesn't require you keep a vehicle in a garage. That's your business and has nothing to do with operation on public roads,as it should be. Some insurance companies require that,but you just take a picture of someone's garage if you don't have one. They don't care if it's the only vehicle you have,either,or if all you drive is historic/street rod. My friend has three Harleys,a Jeep,Porche,'66 Chevy 4wd pickup,'54 3100 pickup,and an old Volkswagen and that's it. They are all licensed and insured as historic. My step-son registered his '86 CUCV Blazer and I noticed he had historic tags. He acted like he didn't even know until I said something. He said that's just what they gave me. I guess he got regular insurance,but didn't show an inspection certificate when he went to title and tag it so they just assumed he wanted historic tags. I thought Maryland was a highly regulated and taxed state. But,it sounds like when it comes to this they aren't so bad. Still can't say that about taxes,though
I see people totally abusing it and I worry we will lose this great benefit. I mean,like a beater '90 obviously used as a work truck with clothes hanger and duct tape repairs. Or a beat to crap old Corolla with smoke spewing,sagging,with red tape for a tail lamp lense and the whole famn damily goin' to town. I will register my '85 Jimmy as historic this spring to get around inspection,save on insurance,and I really will only occasionally drive it. It think I'll go that way with my '72 also. My '67 I am scratch building from the ground up will be a Street Rod...because it's just cool to have your tag say street rod across the bottom.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~

Last edited by special-K; 02-24-2011 at 02:38 PM.
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 03:27 PM   #43
Torrey72
Rollin in my K5 toaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by GASoline71 View Post
Horseless Carriage and Collector Vehicle in WA State are 2 completely different animasl in regards to the law.

I will not register my truck under the Collector Vehicle title, because i love to drive my truck. Also... driving without insurance just because the law "allows" you to is just plain silly.

Just to get a rise out of a cop... Seriously?
Meh... Too many cats wanna bend the rules. Then wonder why the state is constantly wanting to change the law.

Gary
I know it isn’t nice. I drive my Camaro maybe four or five times a year. The car is a cop magnet and I get pulled over about every third time I drive it. I have never gotten a ticket because they are just profiling me due to the car and that draws their attention to the old green and white Washington plate with no tabs on it. When cops run my plate it comes up as 1980 VW Jetta for that was the last car the plate was registered to. Collector plate registration with old era correct plates never lists the plate # under the “Plate #” location on the registration. My plate # on my registration actually has 9 digest and not 7. As you know Washington plates can only have 7 digest not 9. I have talked to the DMV and they assure me that the car is correctly plated and they do not understand why Washington’s collector plate system is screwed up like that. That being said, Though in the past I tried to be supper nice. I have had some mean cops argue with me in the past when all I wanted to do is kindly explain that I am legal. I have scratches in my fender from one cop intentionally leaning and scraping his gun belt against my fender acting like he is having trouble reading the VIN # on the dash. After me asking nicely for him to stop. He just looked me in the eye and did it some more. I have been detained and I have had to request to have the cop’s shift sergeant come out to educate the bone head.

So me being a little cynical and giving them a hard time when I am not the one in violation here. Is well earned I assure you. Why don’t I just get regular plates for it? Why should I have to? Why should I be punished for not doing anything wrong.
Torrey72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 12:27 AM   #44
PatrickGMC70

Hey man, it's your perogative, but I don't think I've been pulled over more than four times in the last 15 years, and my DD is a yellow GTO.

Even if you're right, why poke the bear?
PatrickGMC70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 07:54 AM   #45
special-K
Special Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickGMC70 View Post
Even if you're right, why poke the bear?
He isn't poking the bear. The bear is poking him. Why be a sheep and cower? I believe parts of the Middle East are tired of being poked by the bear and the USA is supposed to already be free. You live in a place where the police have bigger fish to fry,like violent crimes. Here in Mt.Airy my son got pulled over and ticketed for skateboard stickers on the back window of his pickup..."obstructing his view". I went and fought that fishing expedition BS. It's a truck! It could have a cap,be a box van with no window,he could be hauling a refrigerator...Heck,I have a work cap on my truck and don't even have an interior mirror since I can see nothing anyway. And,all his stickers were placed in a way to not obstruct vision. They are along the bottom edge or behind his headrests. My point? The bear pokes at us and it's unjust. It's up to us as free Americans to stand up to that crap,not roll onto our backs and beg for mercy.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 08:22 AM   #46
57NAPCO
F’B’D guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by AusTx68 View Post
YOM plates ?
57NAPCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 08:25 AM   #47
cam.man67

Got Historic plates on mine, simply because I didn't want to jump through all the hoops to get it inspected.
1989 Toyota Pickup 22re, auto, 3.73
cam.man67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 09:03 AM   #48
96blazr

Always tagged mine as an "Antique" since the day I've owned it. Why? Easy: No inspections, FULL COVERAGE for little money (Hagerty), Appraised value that IS the value of my truck, no hassles from anyone.
I drive my truck whenever I want to. Police? What Police? Pulled over? In my '68? Never.
Had a Cop come up to me in a parking lot on a Thursday afternoon when I took my truck to work once and I was on my way home. I popped the hood and we talked about it, he loved it.

Maybe it all depends where you live and what you want to do with your truck. I don't know why ya'all start acting like little girls when it comes to the police. Tag it as an antique and drive it when you want to. If, by some miracle, you do get pulled over and he wants to know why your driving it, simply tell him you just tuned the carb or you just replaced a Belt, or whatever and you have to take it for a drive to make sure it's working correctly.
Unless you're driving like an A**, tearing around drawing attention to yourself, then you have nothing to worry about.

It's a Classic. At least treat it as one.

Remember, no matter where you go,
There you are.

Gary
96blazr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 10:00 AM   #49
67swb72klb

in michigan you can run yom plates they call them authentic plates 35$ one time fee i drive mine often somtimes havent goten bothered by johny yet !! definatley not as a dd though

Last edited by 67swb72klb; 02-25-2011 at 03:52 PM.
67swb72klb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 10:21 AM   #50
PatrickGMC70

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
He isn't poking the bear. The bear is poking him. Why be a sheep and cower? I believe parts of the Middle East are tired of being poked by the bear and the USA is supposed to already be free. You live in a place where the police have bigger fish to fry,like violent crimes. Here in Mt.Airy my son got pulled over and ticketed for skateboard stickers on the back window of his pickup..."obstructing his view". I went and fought that fishing expedition BS. It's a truck! It could have a cap,be a box van with no window,he could be hauling a refrigerator...Heck,I have a work cap on my truck and don't even have an interior mirror since I can see nothing anyway. And,all his stickers were placed in a way to not obstruct vision. They are along the bottom edge or behind his headrests. My point? The bear pokes at us and it's unjust. It's up to us as free Americans to stand up to that crap,not roll onto our backs and beg for mercy.
I wasn't implying that people can't stand up for themselve when it's justified. I was responding to Torrey's posts that he knowingly doesn't follow the classic vehicle rules, "likes to get a rise out of the cops", and seemingly gets pulled over a third of the time he's behind the wheel. That to me shows that you're asking for trouble, and it's senseless to me. But, hey, do whatever you want.
PatrickGMC70 is offline   Reply With Quote