The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-15-2011, 08:59 AM   #51
RootBeer 6117

Re: Project Lesson Plan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1952ssr View Post
Looking really good, RB and man what a tangle of wires in that floorboard. You kids did an awesome job with that sled, a talented bunch with a great imagination.
Thanks SSR Its fun some days seeing what they come up with next. I might have to post a picture of the couch-a-llac they are working on. We junked a 97 Cadillac I let them cut the trunk off to make a couch out of it.

We Fired the engine yesterday open exhaust, backfire, smoke (reminded me of my first briggs lawnmower engine at age10) they we smiling from ear to ear.Got it cleared out an it ran good,They were pretty proud of themselves.
All I can think is $$ how much to keep this going.
RootBeer 6117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 12:53 PM   #52
RootBeer 6117

One more from the road about 15 miles from my house, this one is for sale. Not by me but its at a used car dealer that sells out of his house.
Attached Images

Last edited by RootBeer 6117; 01-16-2011 at 09:37 AM.
Old 01-15-2011, 08:26 PM   #53
72BlckButy
Tot Roddin'

Great build J.

Glad to see the kids getting the opportunity to get their hands dirty.

1969 CST SWB - Project Blank Slate (4.5/6" ECE Static Drop, 6-lug disc brake upgrade (manual), Billet Specialties Vintec 20x8.5 255/40 (F) 20x10 295/40 (R), 250 I-6)
1960 AMF Skylark - Tot Roddin' (Lowered with custom frame; soon to include custom push bar and interior)
2008 Silverado CrewCab 1LT (5.3L, 3:73, 4x4, LT1, Z-71, Towing Package)
72BlckButy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 10:03 PM   #54
pinecrest

Well.....?

What's been going on? Get those kids off their butts and start turning some wrenches!!!!

;-)
pinecrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 11:23 PM   #55
RootBeer 6117

Well can you say snow day #5 & most likely 6. We are under a blizzard warning in central Missouri, Ive lived here 35 yrs and do not remember winter like this.
We have been able to get the seats mounted and tried to get the seat belts in, the belt fit the 150 lb kid ok but there was a problem when I tried to buckle up. My morning guys got the lights working I've got brake,tail,turn, park and headlights working. I finally gave the ok to trim the wiring harness, Might have to trim the owner.I have to be careful what I say about the wiring guys they're lurking on here.
All I can say I hope its another 35 yr before we have winter like this, at this rate its going to be June before school is out.
Old 02-01-2011, 01:17 AM   #56
OrrieG

My wife grew up in Kansas and remembers winters in the 50's when the snow was so deep all the roads in town had snow piled 5-6 deep with narrow paths to the house doors. She says in some places the snow drifted up to the house eaves. They moved south to Texas in the early 60's.
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 07:31 AM   #57
RootBeer 6117

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrrieG View Post
My wife grew up in Kansas and remembers winters in the 50's when the snow was so deep all the roads in town had snow piled 5-6 deep with narrow paths to the house doors. She says in some places the snow drifted up to the house eaves. They moved south to Texas in the early 60's.

My brother in law lived in Colorado in the late 50s, early 60s has pictures of snow piled up on the road sides like that. We have had 21" but not storm after storm
It would be more fun to get around of we had one of these.
http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.p...topicseen.html

I am ready for winter to be over.
Joe
Old 02-01-2011, 10:38 AM   #58
Fat Mike

We have 2" of snow and the whole city has pretty much closed down!
Fat Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 12:01 PM   #59
62ChevyII

What a great project for shop class. My shop teacher was nowhere as cool as you, what a lucky bunch of kids.

We are home schooling our kids and so we are kinda doing the same thing with my latest S-10 swap. My wife takes care of most of the book stuff and I get to play in the garage evenings/weekends with them for shop class. I'm still having trouble getting them really motivated to do much... man I would have killed to have my dad wanting to build stuff in the garage with me. Video games are tough to compete with... I should have never bought the first one, grr. sorry about the rant, LOL.

Great project you guys have goin'!

As far as the weather goes, it's snowin' and blowin' here too and I am ready for spring.
62ChevyII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 08:20 PM   #60
RootBeer 6117

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Mike View Post
We have 2" of snow and the whole city has pretty much closed down!
Mike we are shut down they have closed all three college campuses which is very rare and I heard I-70 from here to near St Louis is closed.I have been trying to keep my driveway open not only am I battling snow falling at 1.5 inches an hour but a snow plow guy that shut all the driveways with a 4ft berm of snow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 62ChevyII View Post
What a great project for shop class. My shop teacher was nowhere as cool as you, what a lucky bunch of kids.

We are home schooling our kids and so we are kinda doing the same thing with my latest S-10 swap. My wife takes care of most of the book stuff and I get to play in the garage evenings/weekends with them for shop class. I'm still having trouble getting them really motivated to do much... man I would have killed to have my dad wanting to build stuff in the garage with me. Video games are tough to compete with... I should have never bought the first one, grr. sorry about the rant, LOL.

Great project you guys have goin'!
As far as the weather goes, it's snowin' and blowin' here too and I am ready for spring.
62 Chevy your truck has been an inspiration to me/us we have looked at your build many times figuring out how we were going to do stuff.
I don't know how cool I am I make them do things like be on time,work hard, no horse play, show respect, all those things that might hurt their self esteem,we must coddle to their needs (BS) I have a counselor or two that doesn't like me. Something about I don't give a damn if he does have ADD I probably do to, all that means he has to work harder.
My dad was an AG teacher in Nevada MO. near Ft Scott, then he moved us here and taught AG at MU, I spent a lot of time in shops and working on stuff.
I really like my job, it has its challenges but it has rewards.
I understand the video games some of my students like to get on line and play they don't like me when they do, they get fired.
Joe
Old 02-14-2011, 10:24 AM   #61
1952ssr

RB, how did you do your power steering hoses? If you have any pictures would be great also. Thanks
1952ssr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 05:09 PM   #62
RootBeer 6117

Quote:
RB, how did you do your power steering hoses? If you have any pictures would be great also. Thanks
Here you go SSR I left them in the stock location of the roadmaster they run under the front of the oil pan and were held in place with clamps we don't have those mounted right now but you get the idea. I pulled the front clip back off to relocate the steering column and trim the wring.I relocated the engine lower in the frame and had to put a notch in the frame for the pulley to clear. We ended up using a exhaust manifold from a 305 to get the steering clearance I wanted.I didn't like the way the column was way to the left and to close to the seat.
Joe
Attached Images

Old 02-19-2011, 08:43 PM   #63
RootBeer 6117

Well after an unreal 9 snow days(This week we had record highs in the 70's so the snow is gone) and stop, start ,stop, start, getting ready for Ford AAA test and Skills test then rescheduling said test and taking them we did manage to get some work done. The column proved a big challenge but we (Cody and Brandon in the pm) conquered it!We moved it more to the center and closer to the dash so now when you set in it it aint in your face.A little clean up on the welds is in order.
I have to give props to the two guys in the photo Brooks(holding his prize deleted wires) and Jordan they have stuck with the wiring and have trimmed it way down and now have all the front and back lights working, Turn, park, brake, high and low head lights, They along with Ryan have it were it will start.
Ryan did a lot on the battery box and shortened or lengthen the wires for the engine and relocated the wires into the cab for the PCM.
A while back I was looking for something else and ran across a gauge cluster from 90 Chrysler Lebaron and noticed something odd it had a quad gauge set up, hmm I thought I wonder if I can make that work with some dissection and fitting to the old gauge body,time will tell.
Today at a big local swap meet I was able to score a brand new set of wheel Vintiques 15x8 wheel and center caps still in the box for $250, on the way home i was able to get 2 good used 265/15 tires, I already have 2 255/15 tires so I am ready to put some rubber on it.
Attached Images

Last edited by RootBeer 6117; 02-19-2011 at 08:45 PM.
Old 02-22-2011, 05:53 PM   #64
1952ssr

Good progress, and kudos to your students. I wish I had took shop while in school, I feel like I was way behind on knowledge. But I'm getting there and haven't quit learning yet. Gotta love finding deals, our local swap meets start up on my birthday March 5th.
Old 03-10-2011, 01:13 AM   #65
daverod
SSN 706

Love it, I wish I would have takin auto shop the school. Nice build. How about some shots of the rear end/ tires.

Last edited by daverod; 03-10-2011 at 01:14 AM.
daverod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 08:32 AM   #66
Indian113

Wow your class would have been my favorite in High School!!! Hope you and the "GANG" can make the Midwest Truck Nats in KC this summer.
Indian113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 09:33 AM   #67
RootBeer 6117

Thanks Guys
I have a couple of my students reading on here it makes them feel good to see people liking their work. Its a challenge to get them to see my vision. Some days they come up with good ideas.
Dave I finally remember my camera,here is the pictures I plan to lower the rear 2" and might see how 245/60s fit.I have a build saved that used the same wheels and that size tires with a camaro rear end which is a 1/2" narrower than a ZR2, I will post a link to it when I get the chance.
Joe
Attached Images

Last edited by RootBeer 6117; 03-10-2011 at 09:48 AM.
Old 03-10-2011, 10:54 AM   #68
daverod
SSN 706

Thanks Joe. I think I'm going to get a zr2. Those tires look about right. Whats next for the truck? Four link,bags, notch, some compressors and a air horn. Just don't want you to run out of stuff to work on.
Old 03-10-2011, 05:33 PM   #69
RootBeer 6117

Quote:
Originally Posted by daverod View Post
Thanks Joe. I think I'm going to get a zr2. Those tires look about right. Whats next for the truck? Four link,bags, notch, some compressors and a air horn. Just don't want you to run out of stuff to work on.
Dave
My students would love for you make make a big donation of parts to the program cause I am tight with my money :-)
Next up a radiator, prop valve, finish the wiring( Jordan and Brooks are doing a awesome job on the wiring its really looking good) completely rebuild the front end. Find a second job to pay for all the parts.
The big thing this year for our school district is"project base learning" Some one told me about a school that built a car out of donations and had all the classes involved in it some way or other. I laughed and said I am doing that on my own dime, Maybe the next one I can get a grant or something.

I hope to be able to move it on its own power by the end of the school year.
Joe

Last edited by RootBeer 6117; 03-10-2011 at 05:34 PM.
Old 03-10-2011, 05:51 PM   #70
1952ssr

Trucks looking great!!!!!!Wheels look really good.
Old 03-10-2011, 07:10 PM   #71
RootBeer 6117

<<Re: How about some pics of your S10 conversion @ ride height

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My '52 is mounted 5" off the frame, S10 Xtreme (ZQ8) stock factory lowered front and rear suspension, '79 Camaro rear end, 15x8 Corvette rally wheels, 245/60/15 tires with 1.5" spacers in front, 350 crate motor with 700R4 trans.
Attached Images>>

This was my inspiration for my truck, I researched and found a camaro rear axle is 621/2" a ZR2 IS 63"
Attached Images

Last edited by RootBeer 6117; 03-10-2011 at 07:21 PM.
Old 03-10-2011, 07:12 PM   #72
RootBeer 6117

Quote:
Trucks looking great!!!!!!Wheels look really good.
Thanks 52ssr
It aint KAWBE approved yet low mean and clean.
Old 03-10-2011, 08:53 PM   #73
daverod
SSN 706

I like the black truck. Maybe alittle lower in back for me. I want to go as low as I can without messing with the frame (to much).
Old 03-11-2011, 07:42 AM   #74
RootBeer 6117

Quote:
Originally Posted by daverod View Post
I like the black truck. Maybe alittle lower in back for me. I want to go as low as I can without messing with the frame (to much).
I'm not into the chop top but I like the color and wheels.I am still not set on the tire size I am going to use, I know enough people in the tire biz I can get a set head for the scrap to see how the look.
Old 03-15-2011, 02:36 AM   #75
txrdnek

I just want to say that you are doing a fantastic job with those kids, I not only love that they get to work on a real project and all that is involved with planning and implementing the work, they also seem to be doing a bang up job. All my shop classes in high school only had to do was build fences around the ag barn, which was alright, but growing up on a farm, I couldn't stand building fences. Those kids should not only feel lucky they have a real project but be very proud of the work they are doing.

What seats are those you are using, I think I like them and would like to find a set myself. I also am working on a forty nine but mine is a 3/4 ton put on a extended cab s-10 frame. I like the look of the longer bed on these trucks. Even thought I've cut almost four inches out of it which from what I've read is about half way to the short beds. While I know money is tight, keep up the good work. I'll be watching this thread alot.
txrdnek is offline   Reply With Quote