The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-20-2007, 10:12 AM   #201
pgf545

Re: Project "Tracy Lee" 59 Apache

Good looking truck there Tex. Is that at the Home Depot on Hwy6? I might have to make it up there some weekend.

Bernie
Old 08-20-2007, 10:33 AM   #202
texascowboy593

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgf545 View Post
Good looking truck there Tex. Is that at the Home Depot on Hwy6? I might have to make it up there some weekend.

Bernie
Nope. The mall on 6 and Hwy 30 in c.s. It's a monthly cruise (this was the second one). For more info, check out www.brazosvalleystreetbeasts.com
We'd love to have you and anyone else who can make it!
2014 Dodge Durango (Wife-mobile)
2008 Dodge Ram Lone Star Edition (Daily driver)
texascowboy593 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 01:02 PM   #203
texascowboy593

Here's one more video of a couple of "outtakes". On the video when I hit that curve, it was scarier than it looked...LINK
Old 08-20-2007, 06:41 PM   #204
Jebb1978

Hey, lots of cool videos on there. Thanks Tex!
Old 08-20-2007, 06:55 PM   #205
prostreeter58

Veeery nice..................
prostreeter58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 07:01 PM   #206
texascowboy593

Thx Guys!!!
Old 08-25-2008, 11:12 PM   #207
texascowboy593

I cant believe it's been just over 1 year since this thread had a post on it...Then again there's a reason for it...

The Tracy Lee has been plagued with a few problems. #1 is a lack of funds!!!

I have had her in driveable condition for some time now but apparently we found a crack in the rear axle housing that was releasing 90 wt oil on the ground. I have also been unhappy with the "paint job" that was shot by a co-worker of mine. It's a "30 footer" job. Just like someone painted her with a wet chicken!

Well, a good friend of mine of the last 17+ years finally freed up some time and space and took her in. She is getting the full respectful treatment she deserves. I wish I had the time and the know-how to do everything she requires to be a top-notch ride. My friend is a perfectionist and so far he has her running like a scalded cat and is about to tackle the body for a new paint job. I know what the NEW color will be. You will have to wait for the "un-veiling" video in a couple of months!

He also has a friend that is a carpenter and he is going to install the bed wood for $100. That includes cutting, countersinking/drilling, staining and weatherproofing! He's also going to build a wood console from just below the dash, around the B+M ratchet shifter to the seats for another $50 or so. This will include a radio console just above the shifter.

"Flight 59" (as she will be named from now on) will hopefully be unveiled by late October. The truck is 150 miles away from home and I'm waiting on progress pics. When I get them I will pass them on...

FWIW, the dude with the yellow '54 3100 has been pestering me. Here is my response video to him:

Last edited by texascowboy593; 08-25-2008 at 11:16 PM.
Old 08-25-2008, 11:55 PM   #208
poncho_villa

Hey Tex! Glad to see that your still in the game. Great video. Can't wait to see what's next.
Old 08-26-2008, 03:19 AM   #209
watahyahknow

good to see the projects starting again near the end of the showseason .
i hope you'll keep it about the same colour it kindah suited the truck

idea's for the trucks and the order of things to do are taking shape and get closer to being realized , a few more months and i be able to start building for real

i complete 2 of the trucks intoo running fashion one custom and one basicly stock the thirth will be sacrificed for parts
watahyahknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 11:28 AM   #210
Daniel U

Hey Tex, thanks for the videos. I vacationed in your state last year for a week. I was really impressed with the pride Texans had of their state. It was as if they were Texans before Americans. I really cool feeling coming from such a liberal state here in CA. Keep us posted on the up coming projects.
Mom's 1954 (TBI 5.7/700R4/14 bolt 4:10) 5 Chevrolet window 3/4 ton long bed Pick up
build thread ->http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=228674
My 1954 (TPI 5.7/700R4/10 bolt 3:73) Chevrolet 5 window 1/2 ton short bed Pick up
build thread->http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...3&goto=newpost
1960 (400/T350/?) Apache 10 short/fleet side-big window
1973 (TPI 5.7/700R4/14 bolt 4:10 w DANA 60 front) Chevrolet Cheyenne 4X4
2013 (Vortec 5.3/6-speed 6L90 automatic) Sierra LT CREW CAB
Doing my part to warm the globe
Daniel U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 12:33 PM   #211
entourageguy
Yellow truck club

Hey Tex nice to see a post by you.
Glad to see that the truck is getting some attention.
How is the addition to the family?

Brian ......

My hub garage address
http://www.hubgarage.com/mygarage/59apache
I gue$$ everything has it'$ price
ALL GONE NOW

59 Chev Apache
PRAISE THE LOWERED
350 700r lokar shifter
power MII front end, shockwaves
tilt, 4 wheel discs
4-link and bags
10 bolt limited
entourageguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 09:38 PM   #212
texascowboy593

Quote:
Originally Posted by entourageguy View Post
Hey Tex nice to see a post by you.
Glad to see that the truck is getting some attention.
How is the addition to the family?
The addition to the family is doing great! He is already wearing vehicle-related clothing: I'm brainwashing him from the start!!!LOL

Thx to all for the comments. It will take some time like all projects do. I hope to have a few pics as soon as my buddy gets his crap together and sends me some pics!!!
Old 07-12-2009, 01:34 AM   #213
texascowboy593

WOW! It's been nearly another year since I've posted and thats just a shame. I cant even begin to describe how busy I've been with work and a 14 month old boy tearing up the house!

Here's the skinny: My pal Woody has been shoring up the engine bay with re-routing of wires / hoses etc. He rebuilt the Holley Street Avenger and found out the back half of the carb was all clogged so now the truck is an absolute monster!

New Flowtech headers installed wrapped with DEI wrap and cured with DEI black silicone spray.

New MSD HEI cap, rotor and coil as well as 8.5mm MSD wires.

The smooth dash panel covering the old heater controls and glovebox is in place and just needs some smoothing / finishing to be done.

Upgrade to disc brakes up front with a new master cylinder/power boster/prop valve mounted in the stock location.

New beefy tie rod (nearly twice as thick as the stock tie rod).

These are the main things done while in Woodys custody. Next things are hanging the new Flowmaster Super 40's (2 1/2" inlet/outlet), getting the bed setup for the bed wood and new wheels and tires. Once those have been done, I will drive the truck to Cleveland TX to my Brother-in-Laws shop and he will take care of the paint and body. Woody is having some health issues (nothing too serious) and will not have the ability to do paint and body.

Flight '59 sure did take a place on the back burner but now it's time to push forward and get her finished so I can whip that '54 5 window that keeps bugging me...LOL!

FWIW: All the video links in previous posts won't work anymore. I no longer have my "texolot" account on YouTube. The updated link to my new account is in my sig. I'll post this weekends happenings in a few days. As for now, here are a couple of videos from January and April showing some progress on the truck.

I hope all of you are doing well. Thx for waiting around for my infrequent updates!
Old 07-12-2009, 07:10 AM   #214
entourageguy
Yellow truck club

Nice to see you back Tex ......

Brian ......

My hub garage address
http://www.hubgarage.com/mygarage/59apache
I gue$$ everything has it'$ price
ALL GONE NOW

59 Chev Apache
PRAISE THE LOWERED
350 700r lokar shifter
power MII front end, shockwaves
tilt, 4 wheel discs
4-link and bags
10 bolt limited
entourageguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 08:34 AM   #215
57ToyBox

HaHaHa Awesome vids LOL
57ToyBox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 10:18 PM   #216
texascowboy593

Quote:
Originally Posted by entourageguy View Post
Nice to see you back Tex ......
I appreciate it Brian!
Old 07-16-2009, 10:18 PM   #217
texascowboy593

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel View Post
HaHaHa Awesome vids LOL
Thx so much Diesel!
Old 07-16-2009, 10:27 PM   #218
texascowboy593

OK:

I finally got some video up on Youtube of this past weekends progress. We put on new MSD 8.5mm wires and new MSD cap, rotor, coil and dust cover. We also got the brakes set up and hung the Flowmaster Super 40's (temporary but will pass inspection).

Seems after some research it seems the power valve on the Holley Street Avenger carb has blown out. There is no power starting off but once she is going...she accelerates quite well. We did have a couple of BIG backfires thru the carb while setting everything up so the power valve is my guess. Any other ideas???

We still need to re-seal the tranny pan and there is tranny fluid leaking from the back of the driveshaft yoke in the tranny. Besides that, all I need is to pay for new tags, get it inspected and I'll be driving to East Texas for REAL paint and body work!

Old 07-17-2009, 10:26 AM   #219
watahyahknow

i heared of this problem before and they have made sumtin for it that prevent it from happening ...think it was a small ballbearing that they put inside the carb that blocks off the hole during a backfire protecting the valve.
you might want to contact youre carborator man for that

idea's for the trucks and the order of things to do are taking shape and get closer to being realized , a few more months and i be able to start building for real

i complete 2 of the trucks intoo running fashion one custom and one basicly stock the thirth will be sacrificed for parts
watahyahknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 01:46 PM   #220
texascowboy593

Quote:
Originally Posted by watahyahknow View Post
i heared of this problem before and they have made sumtin for it that prevent it from happening ...think it was a small ballbearing that they put inside the carb that blocks off the hole during a backfire protecting the valve.
you might want to contact youre carborator man for that
I'll look into it...Thx so much!
Old 07-17-2009, 06:21 PM   #221
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

Most all the newer holleys have that back fire valve installed at manufactue. If its a 10 year old carb it may not have it or it may not have made it into the new carb. They will still blow out under bad back fires
dwcsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 07:53 PM   #222
pgf545

Hey Tex....Love the videos...you have me cracking up. Glad to see you back on here posting....thought the crazy heat this summer had melted you

I would double check the timing. The motor sounded a little lazy so it might want a little more timing. I have seen sometimes when you change cap and rotor they have a little different phasing which will cause the timing to be off a little.

On the power valve all you need to do is get a new one from the speed shop and swap it out...you don't need a whole rebuild kit. Take the list number to the store and they will get you a new one.

Bernie

P.S. Why in the first video were you drinking Miller Lite and the second one it was DP?
Old 05-26-2010, 11:57 PM   #223
texascowboy593

Last post: 7-18-09
This post: 5-26-10

Been awhile since I've updated! The Tracy Lee or "Flight 59" as she is called now has sat quietly in my garage waiting for some financial assistance. It should be coming soon (I hope). I changed jobs about 6 weeks ago and it's a pay raise and I get to be home EVERY NIGHT (local truck driving). A couple of weekends ago I paid a visit to our old friend Jimbo59 and bought a decent driver-side door from him since the one I had got kinda mangled after my pal welded it. I now have to remove 3 broken bolts from the hinge pocket and then I hope to give my Brother in Law the 1st half of the cash to get him working on the paint and body. As most of you know, I was less than impressed with the paint job quality (painted with a wet chicken) and that will be resolved. He will be stripping down to bare metal and doing it right. I've seen a few of the cars he's done and they are very nice. His turn around time: 3-4 months.

For the heck of it:
I decided to paint a shop truck type logo on the door I got from Jimbo. I read in Classic Trucks this month about how to do it yourself. Since the door will be stripped and painted anyway, I figured I'd paint it up and see how it would look. I think it turned out pretty good. Here are a couple of pics:

I made a couple of how-to vids on YouTube as well. Here's the links:
Part 1:
Part 2: Part 2 got jacked up since my camera crapped out but it is what it is.

Hope to have another update soon!

Tex
Attached Images

Old 05-27-2010, 01:00 AM   #224
poncho_villa

Geez Tex, long time no see (or read). The door logo turned out great. Nice patina effect. Keep us updated on what else you're gonna do.
Old 05-27-2010, 11:51 AM   #225
OrrieG

Glad to see you back, for some reason I thought the truck was done and you were just cruising into the sunset....
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote