The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-03-2020, 04:41 PM   #17
'68OrangeSunshine

Re: 67-72 Tac...

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinK7 View Post
Andy, With the Pertronix/Flamethrower I will be bypassing the resistor wire and running a straight 12V to the + side of the coil as you noted.
When I mentioned adding a resistor (and capacitor) that was with regard to running a tach. I've heard some have issues(needle bounce, flutter) with their tach running a PertronixII and the 'fix' was adding a resistor in series with a capacitor to the - side of the coil. (One end of resistor to the coil -, one end of cap to ground, the midpoint where the resisitor and cap connect then being the point tach connection is made.
I am going to try without the R/C and see if the tach is OK. IF I see an issue, then I'll try it. While I'm putting this in here, my understanding is that a 270ohm 1W resistor and a 1uF 50V electrolytic cap will work.

When we talk about the FlamethrowerIII, it is MULTI spark, so that's a whole different story and I don't even know if a tach can be used with them.
KevinK7 -- the resistor/capacitor trick is a nuance I haven't needed. I didn't catch that you had wired the distributor correctly already. My bad.
My experience is with an AutoMeter tach, not the GM OEM, or the aftermarket copy.
For the record I'n not Andy. ANDY4639 --the guy in all RED-- is the OP, and it is his thread we are hijacking for Pertronix tricks. My first name is Brian, but I'm always '68OrangeSunshine on this forum.
Cheers.

Every 25 years I like to rebuild that 292, whether it needs it or not.
'68OrangeSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote